Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crying a lot today

Hi Everyone,

I had my appointment with the surgeon again today. Before that, I had the nurse practitioner and radiologist look at my band, do the flouro and barium swallow and both came to the same conclusion. My pouch looks a little better, but not a lot better considering my liquid diet. They sent me upstairs to my new surgeon and he looked at the photos and felt that the situation would not improve. He started talking about concentric slippage and also prolapse. Started talking about the options:

He was willing to wait one more month, but he didnt think the result would change. Since my insurance with Humana will run out at the beginning of November (my hubby was laid off by Motorola after 8 years) I will have to move quickly if I want my insurance to pay.

When the doc suggested I go on liquids only again for another month, I told him that I didnt think I would make it another full month without some kind of appetite suppressant. IT was at this time that he voiced his opinion on the matter and said that he knew about my inquiry to his office earlier about this topic and did not support my decision to use a suppressant to get through another month of liquids. He had planned to tell me that he was going to "fire me", but that he felt he would give me another chance. I asked him what he meant by that. I did not feel that it was an unreasonable request to ask for this and that other bariatric practices offer this support. At this stage, he suggested I go somewhere else if I did not agree with his policy. I didnt say anything else, but I was totally floored. He is obviously not the right surgeon for me and I am in the process of finding another. The big problem is that most surgeons dont want to touch another surgeons patient. I felt that was part of the problem. Many of them are in a position to turn away patients since they have a long line of cash pay patients. At least thats the way I feel today.

I called my insurance company to see who was in my plan. THere are actually quite a few, but when I called a couple, they did not want to take on a patient of another local doctor. Two already said no over the phone. I did contact my original surgeon's office and they think I can get an exception from my insurance company to operate again, however, I dont think that the hospital he now operates under is in network. I will explore all my options and then see what to do.

I am crying a lot. I know I shouldnt, but after today, I really feel like a loser.

(I did lose more than 8 pounds on the liquid diet last month.....) but thats not what I mean....

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

Oh, Babs, big hugs to you. I hope you'll realize this has NOTHING to do with you being a "loser." This is just a thing to get through and is not the end of the world. I wish I had more help to offer but all I have right now is a :hug:

Hi Piper,

Dr. Fox is an awesome and compassionate doc and I know he has helped some others in the past who are bandster friends of mine. He personally told me his policy is to not reband local patients who have been banded by local surgeons. He did however recently reband a friend of mine who was banded in Mexico and then had problems. So maybe its just me. He was the first person I thought of because he has been helpful to others in the past. Maybe this backfired on him. Dunno. I have not tried Benevides yet....

Alex: Thanks for the hugs.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Some physicians just don't "get it". I hope you find someone who treats you with the dignity and respect that you deserve.

Hi, I know this may be frowned upon, but... I have bought phentermine over the internet a couple of times. You may consider this option. I mean, who could live on a liquid diet for more than a couple of weeks. Anyway, usually you fill out a questionnaire and a doctor approves you in a day or so. The ones that I used to get were the time released blue capsule(30mg, i think). And they definitely work for the short term. I think it probably cost @ $50 for one month.

Olive

My surgeon is kinda the same- he will not do appetite suppressants nor would he give me rx for pain med this week so i could have it filled and just come straight home from the hosp next week.

He wont do anti nausea meds either. Too close to surgery to find another surgeon since he is in one of the better practices AND my ins changes in NOV and I dont want to start over!!

It has to do with liability I guess- Dont take it personal!!

Were you able to check with Dr Veninga? I'm really sorry you're going through so much trouble. :( Do you think you'll try to have it replaced? Was there any talk of the esophageal issues?

Big hugs to you! Please keep us posted!

Hi Olive,

I dont really have an issue with the phentermine itself. I already have a prescription, didnt like them because they make me shaky and roughed it out on my own for 21 days on liquids. The problem is the doc not wanting to acknowledge or support me after suggesting I go on another 30 days of liquids. He didnt really think that it would work anyway. He just doesnt support taking any kind of suppressant. So that's over.

Leatha: No, he didnt address the esophagus issues cause he only was looking at my band. He said that he thinks its a slip with a pouch dilatation which means I was probably overeating and my band was too tight. Neither of these things make sense since if I knew I was overeating (pouch packing) I would have stopped doing that, but I wasnt getting the full signal. THe problem with pouch dilatation for me has been chronic. I looked at my records as early as a year out from banding, I was already having this problem. I have printed up Veningas info. He is in my plan and I am going to call him today.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

Yep. I understand. :couch2: I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. I'm sure I'm following closely behind you. I'm just avoiding the band doctors as long as I can. I want to keep my band and I've had 3 surgeries in the last 3 years. None of this can be good for your body, especially when you (I)have systemic lupus and blood clotting issues. :)

Please find a different doctor

and while you are at it, "let your fingers do the walking in the Yellow Pages"

Start the your finger's trip in the "A" section:

"ATTORNEYS" :couch2:

I had a lot more time to sort things out...so I think the time issue is a critical stressor in your case.

Questions to ponder:

Have you had a "Plan B?" Given this insurance, what ARE your options? All things considered, can you handle two surgeries (one for band removal and another surgery later on if you decide to get rebanded or go for oneof the other surgeries?) What are chances that one of you can get into a situation where a different insurance will be offered? How do your age and other health issues factor in to the decision making process?

We will all have different answers...I hope you can make a CONFIDENT and timely decision.

Sue

hey babs,

i CANT imagine being totally unfilled and on liquids for 2 MONTHS! i am just totally unfilled and on solids and the hunger is RAGING!

at this point, trying to act before your insurance ends makes things hairy for sure. your lucky to have so many dr's around you but your SO RIGHT dr's dont like to take patients from different US drs either! i had a helluva time getting them to take me and i had moved across the country. i wish my dr had more banding experience but i cant drive to seattle for every banding appt.

hugs to you babs,

michelle

Hi Again,

Tired old man: I am curious why you think I need to find an attorney? The new surgeon is not obliged to help me in any way.

Shelly: I am doing liquids for two meals a day now and dinner eating very light, not because I have to , but because I want to continue to lose weight and help my band at the same time. I am finding that its really not hard and its keeping me focused as well. Thanks for the hugs.

Geezer: I definitely would get rebanded. They are saying its a slip, so I dont see any reason to have a different WLS. The doc I went to see yesterday that I am NO longer seeing said that he would just cut my existing band in half and put in a new one. He says repositioning is kinda waste of time and its easier just to put a new one in. I have not had any indication that I am not a good candidate for another band.

I am talking to two surgeons now and hope that one of the two will be the right one for me. They are in my plan and willing to reband . I have the flouroscopy scans showing my band one month ago and today as an email attachment so I am able to send them for a second opinion.

You are right. The most important thing is to have a strategy and stop feeling sorry for myself. Thats what I am doing.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

Is this a continuation of a problem from another thread?

I guess I misunderstood. I assumed that it was all one medical practice that you were dealing with.

Sorry!!