Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My friend is having surgery the day after me (aug 9). She said she went today to get her "filter" put in. I've never heard of this. she said its to prevent blood clots? She said "you'll probably get yours through a shot after your surgery "

what is she talking about? what is a filter? i haven't heard about a filter yet. I thought i knew what was going on :)

She must have actually had a blood clot. I had an IVC filter placed before surgery and removed after surgery to prevent blood clots from forming and killing me by lodging in my heart, lungs or brain.

she hasn't even had her surgery yet. maybe thats the kind of filter. where is it placed...what does it look like

It is a vena cava filter placed in the main artery to prevent a blood clot from travelling to heart. lungs, brain, etc. She must have had an issue in the past and/or she is high risk for a clot forming. Not all patients get one.

Here is what one looks like:

300px-Inferior_vena_cava_filter.jpg

Omg this freaked me out. I had a blood clot when I was PG. yikes!!!!! I don't want this- at least while I'm awake :-(

Not everyone needs to have an IVC filter placed, only high risk. My surgeon uses subcutaneous heparin injections (blood thinner) to prevent any clots from forming, so I will get those shots in my stomach while I'm in the hospital. My surgery date is not scheduled yet, I'm still going through the hoops.... :-) I believe these shots are used frequently as I've read where others on this board have gotten them during their hospital stay as well.

Justine, It's not that bad. I was awake for the placement, but I had such good drugs, I was joking around with the doctor and staff while they were doing it. I didn't care what they did to me... Versed is a great anesthetic! :)

Thanks- but I fight versad so much I usually need about 4-5 tries. I don't want this procedure. :(. U guys are so supportive. I LOVE that I found this website.

I had heparin during my pregnancy and now am allergic.

Justine, no heparin for you!!! :) The compression stockings they use in the hospital also help to prevent clots. Please make sure your surgeon knows about the clots you had during PG. Even if you have to have the filter, you won't really care (like Lissa said). While I'm not giving any medical advice here, I'm a nurse and take care of patients who receive IVC filters all the time....and it's not that big of a deal. It's def worth it vs. the complications you would get from a clot should your surgeon feel the need for you to have one. Just make sure he knows. Either way, you are on your journey to a "new you." :rolleyes:

Ok **sigh** thank u!! Xxx

Justine, It really isn't that big a deal. My conscious sedation made everything really warm and fuzzy and I literally would do it all over again if I had to do so. It is like being high, truthfully. My c-sections were both a MUCh bigger deal and scared me way worse than the IVC filter install/removal. I do remember that the doctor doing the removal kept telling the nurse to give me more phenergan (spelling?) because I was entirely too jovial. What she didn't realize is that I have issues with anesthetics and the more you give me, the more aware I become of what's going on until I'm unconscious. Nothing hurt, my memory became clearer rather than fading like Versed usually causes.

IF you have to have one, do not let it intimidate you at all. I'm considering plastics once I reach goal and there's a real possibility that I'll need another filter. I'll still have my plastics even if the filter is required. :)

That looks scary! My surgery is all inclusive so i dont think i have to get one of those things i come in for appts mon, and tues and weds is my appt.So, probably just the shot. Thanks for all the help.

Not sure if shes an increased risk.. Why are they placing it so soon though, shes not due for surgery til aug 9th!

I would guess they are placing it now simply for scheduling reasons. Maybe just to "getherdone" lol! (if I spelled that right). It won't hurt anything having it in early. It's just a mesh (you saw the picture posted above) that catches any clots that pass through it before the blood enters your heart. It's a wonderful little tool, and once it's placed inside, you never even feel it or know it's there.

Skinny, How old is your friend? That filter is only supposed to stay in for six weeks if they plan to remove it. My venous doctor said I am way too young to keep that filter for life. I had just turned 45 when I had surgery.