Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve done in November and have only lost 11lbs. I have spoken with the nutritionist and my diet is good. I do exercise, but could do more,

I as so very disappointed with my small loss I could cry (I do cry)

The only thing left to question is that I take Antipsychotics for bipolar disorder. They are known for weight gain. I am on one that has a weight neutral profile, but the surgeon thinks this is why I havent lost. My family psychiatrist doesnt agree.

The surgeon has suggested taking Metformin to see if that might help. I am considering the idea, but not sure if it will actually do anything,. My fasting blood sugar is 95 so I am not even prediabetic.

Has anyone tried Metformin before? What were your results.

I know most drugs can be used for a variety of reasons, but I'm not familiar with metformin for weight loss. I just did a quick search online & found this article that was interesting about it - http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/N117.htm - that might help some.

I use metformin for diabetes, but haven't had any weight loss with it. However, the above article says it works differently for non-diabetics.

Anti depressant drugs affect insulin levels and in some people raise blood glucose levels causing insulin resistance which affects weight loss and usually causes weigh gain. Metformin helps to combat insulin resistance not only diabetics take it. Blood sugar of 95 is not Pre diabetic but your headed towards the higher end of Normal so yo could probably benefit from metformin. It's also prescribed to women with PCOS because they tend to be insulin resistant.

I take metformin for my borderline diabetties. The good thing about the drug is that you can't take too much. If your body doesn't need it, it doesn't process it. Just thought you may like to know this. I was on it for years and just found this out in the hospital post op. LOL

vsgchici

I have lost a total of 80lbs in the last 8 years. My FBS used to run up to 126. Before the sleeve it was 106 and now 95. I am pleased with my progress regarding FBS. Now I just need to loose weight.

I think I will give the Metformin a try. It cant hurt anything.

I was sleeved on April 2nd and I am having a very hard time getting the weight to come off. I know it has only been 3 weeks but still, I have only lost 17lbs and the scale keeps going up. I have pcos and I retain Water. My dad (who is a doctor), told me to ask my surgeon about getting on metformin to help get this weight loss started. So I would say, go for it, It wont hurt you and can only benefit you.

Give it a try. It's a safer alternative than coming off of other drugs that you need, right?

I was on metformin for diabetes and it's an easy medication to take with minimal side effects. Watch your sugar intake on the drug, though, because for me, anything with too much sugar caused digestive problems.

~Cheri