Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Issue & Chest Pain?

I was baned on July 25th and things seemed to go really well, untill the last few days I have been having trouble swollowing pills and even now the small ones that are smaller then birth control pills seem to be getting stuck and then I have to PB in order to semi feel better. Today that happened on the smaller pill and ever since then I have had a pain in the middle of my chest or I should say where I think the top of my band is and I have had a burning pain in my throat, I thought it might be acid reflux which I have never had and took some chewable tums but that didnt seem to help. Any idea's what I can try? Also I believe my port incision is now infected, my surgeon thought it was just irritated and said to clean it with peroxide and then put neosporine on it and cover it well I did that yesterday and when I changed the bandage it had puss on it and looked like it was indented, so I am going to call my GP on Monday to get an appt to see him since my surgeon is in CA and out of town till the end of the week.

I guess I am just disappointed I am having such issues so soon to being banded and I am starting to regret having this band put in because of all the issues. I know some of it is anxiety but it is also a pain to deal with as well.

Thanks for listening and any advice.

I am not speaking from experience here because I will be getting my band Aug. 21st....But I have been researching like a mad woman. So I am noticing that some doctors say not to take pills EVEN small ones for the first few months. Just thought I would let you know some info I found. They were encouraging liquid meds or Vitamins.

SOON TO BE BANDED! woohooo!

5'9"

250lbs

Goal=150lbs

Hey there,

I was banded on April 26th and I still have trouble with pills. CRUSH them! I don't take any thing unless I can crush it and mix it with Water. Check your pill instructions though or ask the pharmacist. Some pills can't be crushed.

As for the burning in your throat, I don't think thats normal and depending on how bad it is, if it seems to be getting worse or not...if it seems to be getting worse I would mention it to ur doctor.

As for the infection, you have to treat it like any other cut or scrape, keep it clean and well covered, make sure u have waterproof bandages so it doesn't get wet when you shower, and since u already have an appt with ur doctor he will probably give u an antibiotic if it's really infected.

Good luck and let us know how ur doing.

Thanks for the messages I really appreciated them! The burning and pain in chest luckily went away by this morning, so I dont know if it was just acid backup from the PBing on the pills. I crush the ones I can, but I have a few that dont come in liquid form or a form that can be crushed so I have to learn to swallow them which I am not happy about.

The Dr told me the incision is infected but it is just a surface infection from the glue used in surgery and isnt inside the wound so that it isnt bad and I shouldnt be worried. He gave me an antibiotic and said to keep cleaning and dressing it the same way and see him in a week.

I am feeling alittle better and I am hopeful that things may get better as time goes on, that is what I keep telling myself.

The good news is tomorrow I will be 2 weeks post op and I have lost a total of 32.5lbs, 10lbs of that was before surgery and 22.5lbs was after surgery. So I am still losing even with the problems.