Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery 3/24/11 and at 6 mo out found myself pregnant with our 3rd child. I was on BC the whole time so this came as quite a shock, although we are very excited. I have found that with this pregnancy, I have been more sick than with my other two. I have not gained any weight yet, my dr even asked if I was intentionally trying to still lose weight? I told him I feel like I am eating all the time, but the morning sickness has been horrible. Anyways, I had my 1 hour glucose test last Monday and failed it by 22 points. I had eaten some birthday cake the night before which is why I think I failed (poor food choice and foolish for not thinking it through). So today I went in for my 3 hr test. The nurse warned me that one of the side effect is vomiting; I told her that last week I felt nauseous but never got physically sick from the drink. Well today, not quite into the first hour, I threw up all over myself and the floor in the waiting room. Can we say embarrassed? I now have to go back to drink it all over again on an empty stomach and pray that I don't get sick again. I am the first WLS patient my OB has seen. Is there something else I can do or is it possible to ask for the one hour test again? I haven't scheduled my next 3 hour because I wanted to get some other opinions. I didn't have GD with either of my other two pregnancies and I was 80lbs heavier. My husband just says not to take the test, which I don't know if that's an option or not. I want the best for my baby girl ... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, have you talked to your VSG surgeon? I would try to get an opinion from another doctor who has more experience with the WLS before making a decision. Best of luck!

Oh, that's miserable! I had gestational diabetes with my last baby and I just had to check my blood sugar wtih a finger prick a few times a day. Maybe your OB will let you do checks for a week and see how your numbers are instead of doing that horrible three hour test? If you just barely tested over, your finger pricks will probably be fine and you can have one less thing to worry about!

I just can't help but think that I was 80lbs heavier with both of my previous pregnancies and didn't have it with either of those and I was a Dr. Pepper addict during both! Just makes me wonder how many times they are going to try to do this test. I just don't think my body is going to allow me to keep that stuff in long enough ...

Those tests are definitely torture. And they can never find a vein in me, so that just adds to the fun. I was pretty much the same amount of FAT with each pregnancy but my first baby was born when I was 27 and my last when I was 36. Unfortunately a 36 year old body doesn't do as well with the stress of pregnancy as the 27 year old body did! So I did have gest. diab, but the finger sticks weren't bad. Maybe watch your cake intake before the next test. :D

I feel bad for you. It's embarassing to vomit in front of a bunch of people! Let us know what you find out.

I'm into my 2nd pregnancy post-VSG and I simply refused, downright looked at my OB and told him I would not under any circumstance do that test.

They wrote a RX for a glucose monitor/strips and I monitored my glucose at home, 4 times daily. That stupid glucose tolerance test can be so off especially if we eat carbs the night before.

I had to test 4 times, first thing in the A.M. then 2 hours after 3 of my biggest meals of the day. My numbers were fabulous, and that is the most accurate measure of blood sugar/glucose.

I made my follow up appointment for this Thursday. She told me to take Zofran both the night before and the morning of the appointment. She also said they will attempt just this last time and if I get sick again, they will treat me as a GD patient. Kinda stinks that they aren't going to give me any other options. :( Oh well, I only have 3 months left! Funny part was I told them I needed to reschedule and she asked what day my original appt was. I told her yesterday but I am the one who got sick in your lobby. When she came back on the phone after asking a question, she used my first name (which I hadn't told her prior in the conversation!!) How embarrassing!!! :)

I have read that their are other options than the glucola drink, my on will let you go eat pancakes but she gives you a list of exactly what you can and can't eat, she told me it is about 4 pancakes with at least 3 tbsp Syrup and no Protein , like bacon or sausage ...and you can drink OJ but only one glass ....I didn't have any problem with the glucose drink though...they keep it ice cold and pour it over ice....but it couldn't hurt to ask

There are other options! I believe that glucola is 50g of glucose. You can use anything else with 50g of glucose- like jelly beans! I have always used them for my tests because I can't stomach fizzy drinks.< /p>

Well after a roller coaster ride between my weight loss office and my OB office, I finally have closure on the GD test. After being told by the nurse in my OB's office that I am NO different than any other pregnant woman and that I am not the first to get pregnant after having surgery, and there ARE no other options for me (very upsetting conversation), I finally got to talk to my OB. My OB called my surgeon directly and was told by him that I could have suffered from Hypoglycemia (which I think I started to). He admitted he was wrong and shouldn't have had me drink the glucola. So now I will go in every two weeks, which are about to start my regular appointments, and have my A1C levels checked. YAY! I am just so glad that he got to the bottom of things and is well aware that I am NOT like every other pregnant woman out there.