Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin Confusion!

Hey everyone!

I'm still pre-op and I need as much info as I can. I emailed the nutritionist at my doctor's office and she said, and I quote, "One Multi with Iron, and two Calcium citrates - plus adequate Protein (60 grams daily) and hydration. Don't skip fruits, veggies and whole grains - every day."

Now, I'm thinking that getting the fruits and veggies and whole grains would be difficult for the liquid and mushy stage. What do y'all think? I was thinking of taking a multi, iron, Biotin, B50, Methyl B12 (sublingual) and calcium citrate. Is that too much? Or just right?

Thank you!

HI Dania, I am in Massapequa.. I am also on my Pre op liquid diet, but I am not allowed any food just shakes and Jello.. When is your surgery?

Every surgeon/nutritionist will recommend something different with respect to Vitamin supplements. Because the VSG is so new (for bariatrics), many nutritionists are still following the same guidelines that they use for bypass patients. My nutritionist's guidelines originally recommended 3 Multivitamins a day, 1500 mg of calcium citrate, 1 B12 sublingual weekly and 1 B1 weekly - but I am only taking 2 Multivitamins daily, 1000 mg of calcium citrate and the B12/B1.

As far as post-op food intake, I agree that the veggies/whole grains may be difficult immediately post-op (but it will all depend on your nutritionist's food plan). I ate a lot of applesauce immediately post-op which covered the fruits, but I didn't eat much veggies or any grains until I could eat more solid foods.

@Geno: I'm in Freeport...I'm not starting the two week pre-op diet until 1/8/12. My surgery is on January 23rd. I'm going to Winthrop. I'm so excited!!!

@Indymom: Eek!! I'm a texture freak!! I don't think I can do applesauce! I'm working my way up to yogurt before the surgery. And I'm going to try Soup too (yes, I don't eat Soup, weird I know). I'm going to play around with the supplements and see what feels right. I'm going to start my supplement regimen during my two week pre-op diet since my caloric intake will be sharply curtailed and to get used to taking so many pills. I'm going to space them out as much as possible so it won't bother my new pouch!!

Thanks for your help!!

Right after surgery your doctors and nutritionist will most likely encourage you to stay hydrated and not focus so much on Protein in the first couple of days. You will also probably be taking an acid reducer which you will have to learn how to get down in between the little sips you'll be getting accustomed to. As the days go on, you'll increase your intake and try to find the best foods to help incorporate Protein into your diet (I suggest unflavored protein powders). Celebrate sells chewable bariatric supplements that don't taste too bad. I've been trying to take them as prescribed for VSG patients. Getting them all in through out the course of the day isn't too hard, well it isn't for me because Ive created about 5 different alarms on my phone to remind me. lol

Dont stress your self out too much in the beginning. Concentrate on swallowing smaller amounts and chewing your food into a pulp before swallowing. Staying hydrated is extremely important.

My doctor stressed healing after surgery. He wanted me to stay hydrated and stick to the liquid/mushy diet. Even when I advanced to solid foods, I really could only get in Protein the first six weeks to be honest. I would get very full on a few bites. I would get in vegetables/ fruits if I could. I really didn't eat whole grains at all due to the restriction at first. As the swelling goes down, you will be able to eat a bit more. I still always eat protein first and then eat a few bites of vegetables. I used to count carbs, but now I am mainly focusing on counting protein since I became a bit anemic recently. I take one Multivitamin, calcium citrate, and B12. Good luck with your surgery!

Pre surgery is to prep you so they want you to start Vitamin regiment. I am now starting month 4. Vitamins consist of daily Multivitamin (women's one a day has iron), B12 (every other day), B1 (every other day), Calcium (3 x 500 mg daily), Vitamin C (every other day).

For first two weeks post you will not get fruits in except what you can do is on Protein shakes add some banana. Avoid things with seeds for 4 weeks (you don't want seeds getting into the staple area until it mends).

Weeks 3 and 4 you will have mushies including smashed peas, mashed potatoes, pureed Soup (yes puree the chunky Soups that have vegetables). Fruits in Protein Shakes.

It is easier once you get going, you will find lots of things to eat.