Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pickles Anyone?

I begin Stage 4, weeks 7 to 8 postop, next week; surgery was June 27. According to my nutrition class information, that begins the "regular diet, which includes fresh fruits and raw vegetables." What I'm really, really craving is a hamburger dill pickle or an olive, but I'm afraid those would be super difficult to digest. Has anyone had trouble with either/or? I'm a vegetarian, so all of these cheese screams for a little something on the side!!!

Also, I noticed in someone else's post, their food plan didn't allow fresh fruits or vegetables until three months. How many of you started earlier than that?

Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated! I've been really, really nervous each time my food stage has changed!!!

I was allowed raw vegetables (chopped small) by week 8; I've had very little and without a problem. I tried olives by week 7 and dill pickles by week 8 with no problems. (FYI, I have been taking Prilosec OTC since week 3.)

I must say though, that I have a cast Iron sleeve...hahaha. I have had no trouble with raw foods, spicy foods, red meats or soft breads. I'm now at week 9 and the only things I haven't tried are nuts and popcorn, but I'm in no rush to try them.

My advice is that when you try something new, try maybe 2 bites at a time just to see how it goes. If all is well, next time try 3 bites, etc.. That worked for me.

I begin Stage 4, weeks 7 to 8 postop, next week; surgery was June 27. According to my nutrition class information, that begins the "regular diet, which includes fresh fruits and raw vegetables." What I'm really, really craving is a hamburger dill pickle or an olive, but I'm afraid those would be super difficult to digest. Has anyone had trouble with either/or? I'm a vegetarian, so all of these cheese screams for a little something on the side!!!

Also, I noticed in someone else's post, their food plan didn't allow fresh fruits or vegetables until three months. How many of you started earlier than that?

Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated! I've been really, really nervous each time my food stage has changed!!!

Hey, Empty. I love pickles and olives also. I have eaten more dill pickles since being sleeved than in the last decade. The one thing I do is sort of "fillet" the pickle spear. The peel is a little difficult to chew to the consistency I prefer, so I just eat the insides. YUM!! I have also put chopped pickle in cottage cheese. May not sound the best, but for me it tastes great. I also added some black olives one time and loved it. Olives are a nutritional powerhouse. I always avoided them in my previous life, but a few tossed in here and there satisfy the taste buds and are good for me.

As far as nuts, I eat 15-20 almonds daily for nutrition and overall satisfaction. I have also eaten pistachios. Just read the nutritional values and count out your nuts. There are some carbs, but lots of Protein.

I eat great tasting food every day and I am still losing weight. I think the key for me is not depriving myself of anything I really love, like Peanut Butter and chocolate. I have maybe 1 or 2 Dove dark chocolate pieces a week and I am satisfied. Just knowing I can have it freely allows me to control myself. I guess there is a rebellion factor there (anyone a psychologist??!!). I know this doesn't work for everyone, so don't shoot me, please!!

Lovin' this sleeve more all the time...Kathe

I eat pickles all the time--I can only eat 4 little round pieces (I like the bread and butter variety), but I put a little cheddar cheese on top and chow down. I eat the peel, too, but I'm 3-1/2 months out. I didn't eat them until a couple of weeks ago but I had a sudden craving--and no, not THAT kind of craving! LOL

I eat nuts daily, probably around 2 tablespoons or so of mixed almonds and cashews. They are delicious and healthy (get them without added stuff!) and are a yummy part of my diet. Most importantly, my sleeve tolerates them well and they are portable--I have a few in a baggie in my purse, along with a Protein bar, for times when I need something to eat away from home. My hunger pretty much stays away until it's desperate times, if that makes sense--I have no hunger, or I'm ravenously hungry all of a sudden. Portability is a good thing.

I never really liked olives before surgery--too strong a flavor for me--but never say never. :-) I'm with Kathe--I don't deprive myself, I try to get Protein first, and I'm completely satisfied and losing weight.

we are making fresh pickles at work-

today I slipped and popped a slice into my mouth- OMG! scrumpcious-

every chew... all 30 times flavor...

besides it being heavy in sodium and having sugar- it was tasty!

I can do it :)

but will hold off as much as possible...

Pickles have TONS of sodium (one can have well over 1,000 millegrams) so I avoid them at all cost and have done so since long before my surgery. The last thing I want is to retain Water or raise my blood pressure.

My surgery was June 22 and at 5 weeks I was told I can eat any fresh veggie. I ate a sweet pickle at about 4 weeks with no problem. My nutritionist recommended to eat things like carrots and hummus, apples and yogurt, banana and Peanut Butter, etc. She said at this stage I should be eating a more balanced diet. She even stated I can eat Pasta (about 2 tablespoons if ) if I wanted. The only thing she doesn't want me to eat is things like crackers. I include pickles although I don't eat them regularly. I also enjoy the hummus with olives in it. I would say just try a small amount and see what your body says. Mine loves them!

You now it is funny, but my daughter craved pickles right out of gastric bypass and I craved them after the sleeve. I think it is because we decrease our sodium intake so much with the post op diet and feel the need to crunch too! I believe I ate a pickle slice at about 6 weeks. I would say try one at home, take a small bite and chew chew chew, wait 15-20 minutes and you will know then if you are going to slime or hurt. Just have one! if you tolerate it and go from there.

I am just so paranoid about putting something in that may be "difficult" to digest! I did eat a little bit of the inside of a dill pickle spear with no ill effects! So I will definitely try it again.

That's funny about the crackers because I was still on the stage 3 and the sample menu listed soda crackers with cheese as a snack. I jumped all over that! But I assumed because they practically dissolve in your mouth, they were okay. And I'm definitely watching my salt!

Thank you all so much for the support!

I'm dying for a dill pickle right now . . . both the crunch and flavor! I'm only 11 days out so I don't want to impact my baby sleeve with the acidity of it but I CANNOT WAIT to have one. :) My nutritionist said that after month 1 when I am on purees, I can mix dill relish with my tuna/chicken salad puree. I love olives too.

Have you guys heard the latest snack craze the kids are eating these days? They are called Pickle Pops. They are just frozen Pickle Juice. I had never heard of them until my mom's foster son came home from school telling us that they sell them during break. I don't really think its a very good idea to feed our children so much sodium, but if you guys are dying for a little taste, I'm sure a bite or two of one wouldn't hurt ya. Google "frozen pickle juice" and you'll find some recipes.< /p>

I have drank Pickle Juice before. :)

Woot! My nutritionist was at support group last night and said I can start pickles week 5, she also suggested skinning them if I have issues with the skins. I can't wait!