Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do some Doctors chare more or less in Mexico

Hi Everyone,

Did you every stop and think “you really do get what you pay for.” Yes I know that there are a lot of different prices when it comes to Weight Loss Surgery. If you are a self-pay patient people look at going outside the US—it just cost a lot less and for many Mexico is the first place they may look. All you have to do is look around on the internet. So ask yourself why are their prices lower for so many doctors in Mexico?

What I am going to talk about are some of my concerns about WLS in Mexico—and yes I went to Mexico myself. Here are some of the things I have learned while doing my research into doctors and hospitals or clinics.

1. Your recovery is done is a Recovery House or Hotel for some. I have heard some of you say that there are nurses 24-7 in these Recovery Houses. PLEASE ask to see documentation that proves they are really a RN. There is nothing wrong with asking questions—this is your health and your life we are talking about. Make sure that is truly who will be taking care of you during your stay in a Recovery House. If it is a hotel they come and check on your and are NOT there 24-7.

2. Ask questions about what kind of staples they use-I have heard that some of these doctors are using black market supplies—such as staples. We go to these facilities thinking that we are getting top of the line supplies, drugs and staples. You should receive very best medical titanium staples you can have. Please make them prove to you what they are going to use on you. Feel really comfortable with the answers they give you.

3. You have every RIGHT to know what they are putting in your body. They are going to be there for the rest of your life? Why is it that we think that we can’t question a hospital or a doctor about these things? We ask more questions when we go to buy a new car than we do about Weight Loss Surgery. Well at least a lot of people do. We want this surgery and we assume too much sometimes.

I know that I had the answers before I went to have Weight Loss Surgery. I knew I was paying more, and I knew why. I have also heard that some of these less expensive doctors are using veterinary supplies. We are not animals we are humans and we do deserve to have the very best we can. Please READ EVERYTHING you can find about the Doctor you are going to have do your surgery.

I am also saying there are some very good doctors in Mexico, but take a little time and check things out.

Hugs, Suzanne

Those are very good questions to ask. I recovered in a recovery house with a nurse there 24/7. My nurse, Servano is an ICU nurse at the hospital right behind the clinic, I cannot rember the name of the hospital. When he is relieved, another nurse comes in, her name is Elsie. She is an RN as well.

I think the main difference in costs in Mexico are the same differences as here in the states. It all comes down to the bottom line. The expenses, marketing and the amount of business they generate. Everyone has the monthly revenue number they must meet just to break even before a profit is made. Some surgeons charge more because they do not book enough surgeries. Some charge more because their overhead is a lot more.

One of my main questions was why my surgeon charged less than most surgeons in Mexico. It was broken down for me from the number of surgeries they performed a month, their overhead such as recovering at the recovery house instead of a hospital, the clinic being in a strip mall instead of a hospital. My main concern was infection rate, everyone that I had talked to that actually had the surgery there said it was very, very clean and they had great experiences. This is the way the clinic makes a ton of money and also keeps it affordable for their clients. I cannot say for certain but I am pretty good at math, this has to be one of the most profitable weight loss clinics in the world. I did not mind the recovery house or the clinic as long as they did not cut corners on supplies or safety.

As far as staples, this was a big concern for me. Dr. Almanza uses titanium staples and this was important for me. I had a friend in the states that her insurance would not pay for titanium staples, the reason they stated was they would last longer than the human life and they were not necessary. They stated that they would pay for standard staples. This was in the states. I thought that was crazy. She went ahead and had the surgery, I am not sure I would have. This is a case where the insurance company dictated the procedure where the doctor would have used titanium staples.

As far as black market supplies, I could not imagine a surgeon using them. I am not saying it does not happen but why would a surgeon, especially if they have a cash cow of revenue generation risk complications from black market supplies. This would sink them as a business if they had any issues. I think most surgeons in Mexico would rather cut their expenses using recovery houses or hotels than using black market supplies. With that said, more and more doctors are getting into WLS's and might not be in this for the long haul. They could be out to cut every corner there is by every means.

Like Suzanne said, you have to ask many questions to your coordinator and your Doctor. You have to feel comfortable with your decision. You should never make your decision off someones post or something you heard. You need to do your own research, talk to actual patients who used the doctors you are thinking about using. It is your body and this is surgery. Do not think you are being a pain by asking questions. I felt so sorry for my coordinator, I communicated with her about everyday for months. I called the Surgeon as well.