Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We're leaving town tomorrow to take a short vacation. Flying Southwest. This may sound crazy but I'm not afraid of flying as much as I am afraid of being embarrassed at the airport. I've seen so much lately about Southwest humiliating obese passengers. Yes, I am obese, I am 5'5 and weigh 272lbs. My husband and daughter are going on vacation too and they are average weight. My plan is for us to sit in all 3 seats that are together and my "spill over" will be on them, not a stranger. But I'm still worried about being embarrassed. Can anyone relate? How would you handle it if an agent approached you? What should I do?

Thanks for any advice. And no, I don't have the money to buy a 4th seat.

I flew Southwest in March and had not problems at all. In fact, when i walk onto the plane, I always ask the stewardess for an extender right then so they don't have to bring me one later. I was not fortunate to have any one traveling with me so I put my sweater in the seat next to me and lucky, no one sat there so I could lift the arm rest and "spread out". Travel with your head high and enjoy your vacation and family. :rolleyes:

I was about your size (height and weight) when we flew to Boston. Getting 3 seats together and then spilling over (if you have to; it was only slight for me but it helped that my arms and legs weren't cramped together whole flight) will work - that's what I did with my son and hubby :-) You can ask for the extender, but again at the same height and weight as you, I didn't need one. It was a little hard to buckle, but I did it. On the flight back I just draped belt around me when the belt sign was on so when they walked by it looked like it was on. Safest thing? I dunno - I figured that it would take something really major to get 275 pounds to move out of the seat I was wedged in, and if it was that major, the seat belt was the least of my concerns. lol You should be fine. Enjoy vacation.... and like Smoky said, "... travel with your head high and enjoy..."

Thank you both for your replies. On the plane now. Boarded with no problems but I still asked for a seatbelt extender as soon as I boarded just to avoid being embarrassed.

I'm glad you made it on with no issues! Did you need the extender? I haven't flown since just after I had my son and I was 260 then, and didn't need the extender. I am hoping to get back to 260 (-35 lbs) before surgery so that I can avoid that if I have to. I'm almost 5'-8".

The big issue for airlines is where you carry your weight. The supposed litmus test for an extra seat is whether or not you can get the arm rest down.

For me, even at 400+ lbs, I have never bought an extra ticket, because of how my weight is distributed. Mine is all in the belly and upper body, so although I am wider than I should be, I am not as wide as one would expect for someone at 400+lbs. Albeit uncomfortable, I can get the arm rest all the way down and have not had any issues on flights.

My 2 cents.

-Pete

I always buy two seats and I always fly Southwest. Southwest will refund you the cost of the 2nd seat after your flight if it's not oversold. I've never had one not refunded.

I figure it like this. The airline sells a certain amount of space for $X. I use up more than that space, so I pay for two. It just makes the flight more comfortable for myself and anyone sitting next to me. If I can't afford a second seat, I don't fly. But I just put it on a credit card and they credit it back within a few days of me calling them.

Just my opinion. I travel several times per year for business.

We fly SWA a lot. I have only had one time that I had a problem. I was flying with my husband, son, DIL, and baby granddaughter. The SW gal came up to me and asked if I was comfortable in their seats. I said "oh yes, I just sit next to my husband and I am very comfy." She then left. I was embarrased tho especially since there were 5 of us flying together. It was definitely unnecessary on her part to come and ask me that. But like I said that is the only time I have ever had anyone question my fitting into a seat. Now you can actually buy your own seatbelt extension so you don't have to even ask for one. That would be very convenient for sure.

Hi Everyone, thanks for your comments. Pete, good for you that you carry your weight so well. I wish I did. My hubby sat next to me and I definitely encroached on him :) Gemintherough- I didn't need the extension so it's really doubtful you will need it at 260. SleeveGirl-I'm hoping not to be this big the next time I fly but I will think about what you said. And Nraeh- sorry you went through that. And thank you guys for the support!