Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,

Anyone on the board here have been diagnosed with sleep apnea?

I am trying to learn more and more about it!

More of expeirences then facts, I have read a lot about it, but would like to hear the experience of someone who has it.

I have questions like:

How many times total did you stop breathing during the test?

How many times in 1 hour?

How far did your blood ox level drop?

What device are you using??

Any experiences like that would be really helpful!

Thank you!

Baileym

Hi there,

Hi

Anyone on the board here have been diagnosed with sleep apnea?

Me

I am trying to learn more and more about it!

More of expeirences then facts, I have read a lot about it, but would like to hear the experience of someone who has it.

I have questions like:

How many times total did you stop breathing during the test?

Enough that we didn't even have to do the whole test. The diagnosis was a given, the issue then became WHICH machine.

How many times in 1 hour?

I know it was over 30.

How far did your blood ox level drop?

I have no idea.

What device are you using??

My numbers indicated that I needed a Bi-Pap. One level of pressure inhaling, a different level exhaling.

Any experiences like that would be really helpful!

Once I lost about 10% of my total body weight, I was able to stop using it. MOST IMPORTANT PART...I WAS ABSOLUTELY SURE I DID NOT HAVE SLEEP APNEA. Duh.

Thank you!

Baileym

You're welcome,

Sue

I like your answering layout!

Thanks!

Did YOU decide you didn't need it?

Please are there anymore out there? Would love more experiences!!!

Thanks!

Baileym

baileymb

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about a year and a half ago. I am on a Cpap machine. Sometimes I use it sometimes I don't. It bothers me at times. I don't remember what all my figures were.I wake up feeling much better when I can use it. Wish it didn't bother me sometimes. I have tried different mask, it is just a difficult thing to get used to for me. But I know that I would feel better if I could use it all the time.

I am having surgery on the 21st of May. I hope losing some weight will help.

athykay

Hi Athykay, (I like that)

How many times did you have to do the sleep test?

One with/out the mask and one with??

I feel like I am totally stranded with this!

I am frustrated and well just confused about it all!

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Baileym:(

Hi Bailey,

When I saw this post I just had to join the board so I could reply. I have been lurking for a while and just never had anything to say before now!

I have had sleep apnea for 7 years. I have had a CPAP machine for that whole time. In fact I have worn out two machines! Up until yesterday I used it all the time. I even got my husband to fix up a battery so I could take it camping with us. I love the way it made me feel, but I hated using the machine. It was very hard to get used to and even after I got used to it , it was a royal pain. But it did keep me from falling asleep at the wheel of my car (which I did at least once before the machine.)

As of yesterday though I am officially through with the machine! I can hardly believe it. I have lost more than 100 pounds since I started using the machine and that has fixed the problem I had with the apnea. I can't tell you how great that makes me feel. It is very freeing!

To answer your question, I woke up 30 times an hour during the test. I had to have an in home test then I had to stay 1 night at a sleep clinic where a nurse watched me sleep all night (what a boring job!) About midnight she came in and put a machine on me and watched me sleep some more.

Anyway, hope this info helps you.

I just started with the CPAP Machine at home. I have been on it for one week. I can already see a difference in how tired I am during the day.

During my first test I snored very load, kicked my legs a 126 times and hour and had 72 apneas through out the night.

I went back and had a nother sleep study with the CPAP and did not have any of the above.

Codamom - have you had the band or did you lose your weight on your own?

As far a sleep goes, the mask does bother me at time, but it is new. I am hoping that after I have surgery and lose weight that I will not have to use it anymore.

I was denied for my surgery as I was not big enough and did not have a comorbid disease. Now I do so I am hoping to get approved.

Good luck and all I can say is if you do have apneas you might want to try it and see if it works for you and makes you feel better during the day.

Hi,

Yes, I was banded by Dr. Kuri in Mexico in Septmeber of 2002. I could never have lost this much weight without the band.

sleep.net.com

this site was very helpful to me when I was first told about my sleep apnea.

As like you I knew nothing of this.

I have had a auto pap for the last 4 years and have tried every mask out there. It is hard to get used to the mask and the air blowing but I wouldn't trade my machine in for anything. I felt near dead before it.

stats : 50 events per hour

81 oxygen level

I have heard that alot of people who have sleep apnea after losing weight have been able to get off the machine. This is what I am hoping for but until that time my machine and I are best friends.

How many times total did you stop breathing during the test? I don't know how many times I stopped breathing, but I had over 180 arousal periods over the night. It is pretty bad when the doctor is impressed with your numbers... The average person has about 30 arousal periods. I also have restless leg sysndrom. She figured it was almost like I was trying to kick myself awake.

How many times in 1 hour? I don't remember...

How far did your blood ox level drop? My O2 sats dropped to 82%. I'm supposed to have another O2 test, but I have to get my butt over to the clinic...

Hi everyone , I just had my sleep test done ,and the tech didn't give much information on weather I passed or not .He did say that I do have to come back to do the C-Cap test but I don't know if the this is a two part test or not .Did anyone else have to do this or is it because you did have sleep apnea? I have been having a sleeping problem for years and always seem to be exhausted before my day even begins. I need to take cat naps through out the day like a child and this interferes with my life .

I was diagnoses about 10 1/2 years ago.

On the test, I stopped breathing 110 times in 5 hours. My blood Ox dropped below 70% - So I am considered moderately severe.

Now, no matter what weight loss does, after all this time, I don't have any desire to give up my CPAP... My band is a good tool... but my cpap is my friend.

I had a sleep study done back in June 0f 07 and then in Aug. of 07 was put on the CPAP machine. It was an autoadjust system. I had the half mask and noise system. I did allright with it but had problems with keeping the mask on overnight. So the doctor suggested that I get a dental device. I went and got that and it help. During this time. I fought with the insurance company to pay in full for the device which they did after a year of working with them. I also had lapabnd surgery in Sept. of 07. My high was 250 at the first sleep study. I went back in Sept. of 08 for another sleep study and the numbers were way down. The doctor said that if I wanted I could use the machine but did not needed it. The dental device was working real well and doing it's job. He said that I did not really need to use it but that it would help. He said that even I lost a few more pounds the numbers would go down. The doctor said I did not need to come back and see him unless I was having problems. He did say that most sleep apena but not all is do to weight loss. I still have it but it is well below and doing well. You can see some of my other posts that has the information you are looking for as well. There is a couple of websites they are

Cpaptalk.com this is a real good website. Talkbaoutsleep.com it think. You can google them. The main thing I can tell you is to keep working on it, review your information on the sleep machine and talk with you doctor about your progress etc. If you have any questions please ask or e-mail.

Chris

I, too, had sleep apnea for several years as has my husband. We were both on cpaps. I went no where without mine. Packed it with me camping, traveling, anywhere. I quit breathing several times a nite, my AHI was 35. My index is now 1.5, anything less than 5 is normal. I have lost 91 lbs., thats the difference. I went to a new sleep study 2 weeks ago and thats how it was determined and thats when I got to say goodbye to my cpap. I have been through numerous masks over the years, and I suggest you go to a DME company and try some on to find one you might like. Cpaps don't help if you throw off the mask during the nite so try to find one you like and that is comfortable. Ask a respiratory therapist to help fit it and explain it. A doctor should help explain your sleep study to you. If not get on the internet but really they aren't hard to interpret if you are face to face and looking at the study. Good Luck with your cpap and your weight loss.

hi there. My surgery was covered because of my diagnosis of sleep apnea which I've had for 10 years. I had surgery on aug 5 and am still using my cpap. If I don't sleep with it I defenately notice a difference the next day. Good luck