Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Protein Thoughts

I actually posted this in response to a thread in the Protein section but since we're all either in or soon to be in the "tiny tummy and large Protein requirements on a liquid diet" category, I thought I'd post it here as well. These are just some things that I have tried and enjoyed so I thought I'd share it with you guys. I just really hope it helps someone!

I read something somewhere on here about Sunkist Protein and after some research I ordered it and some other stuff by the same company. You can get the Sunkist in "shots" like the one you mentioned but the ingredients include whey protein isolate and casein protein isolate (in that order). You can get it in 25 gram and 42 gram protein (2 carbs) "shots". I bought the 42 gram and I LOVE the orange. Like I would seriously drink it with no problem - although I'm aware that may change after surgery. I also ordered a box of the grape (which I haven't tried yet) but didn't get the fruit punch because there's a 26 gram protein shot at Walmart that's fruit punch flavored. It's pricey, but my theory is, one of those (again, smaller in volume than even one shake, let alone 3!) coupled with one scoop of unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury spread throughout the day gives me 62 grams of protein from day 1. I plan to use this until I can start getting more protein from food.

Another one that I found is called Profect and it is made by the same company, Protica Research. They're the ones that do protein candy and Jello. You can get sample flavors of the Profect 25 and then once you decide which one you like, you can order your preferred flavor in the 50 gram tubes with 0 carbs! Again, these are pricey and slightly thick but not nearly as much as a regular Protein Shake. Also, you can always thin it with Water if you choose. I actually found one flavor of the Profect 25 in a local Rite Aid but I checked 3 CVS' (where their web site says to check) but couldn't find any. It was the fresh citrus berry which again tasted like fruit punch.

Please note that the Sunkist listed on the Profect link is for 24 gram not the 42. I am cheap but I figure I'm only going to be using these for a month or so and I want to hit the ground running so it was a worthwhile splurge to me. Hope someone gets some use out of this. :)

Oh yeah! And for you East coasters - I got the Sunkist the day after I ordered it because it came from Columbus, OH and the Profect the next day because it came from PA. Just FYI.

The one for $60 is way to pricey but then I just noticed some for like $25! I might have to try them!

Yeah, I definitely thought they were way pricey too! The Sunkist are like $2.50 (12 in a box for $29.95) and the Profect 50s are $3.28ish (24 for $78.76) each but that doesn't include shipping. :unsure: Of course if you look online, you can find a coupon so that shipping on $100 or more is free on the site that sells the Sunkist ones. But me never doing anything for myself is what got me here in the first place. Plus, I'll end up saving that much on lunch out (or even Lean Cuisines!) after surgery. I really wish there was a retail store for them so I could buy them a few at a time but I reallotted other money and splurged and I'm glad I did. I will definitely not be using them long term but for the first few weeks after surgery I hope they're going to be worth it.

These are awesome! I am a vegetarian and am always strapped to get all of my Protein in. I wish I knew about these during me pregnancies! Thanks for the post.