Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

Had my surgery on 6/06/2011 so not that far out. I did some research before the surgery and asked my dr. some questions but there is one thing I found out...on here actually lol...that I Wish I would have known before the surgery as I might not have had it or the doc and I would have had a talk about what would happen.

What I wanted out of this was to be normal, lose the weight and also have this to some extent to help me after I lost the weight.

What is normal, well we will take an upcoming holiday and use that to get to where I can let you know. My wife cooks the best bbq chicken and makes the best mac. salad there is. I usually would eat something along the lines of a chicken breast two legs and a thigh or two, about two cups of her mac salad and some beens. Also would be throwing down a few cold ones. Half hour later go back for more. THIS WAS NOT NORMAL.

What I wanted was normal, chicken breast half cup or abouts mac salad and some beens and FULL I have had enough. That is normal.

Well I find out on here after having my surgery I will never ever be normal, the doc said my stomach would stretch if I didn't take it easy He didn't say it would stop stretching at about 6 ounces. THIS IS NOT NORMAL.

My wife had a gastric bypass surgery five years ago and she has stretched some and can eat half a hamburger and a couple of fries, probably 2/3 a chicken breast some mac salad and a few beens but it is somewhat NORMAL.

I wish he would have been more upfront with me on the stretch part of this or how small your stomach will stay it would have been a lot better as I would have said I want this. I did tell him I wanted to lose the weight and be normal but the eating part is not normal.

Now before anyone starts getting crazy about my post lol, I am greatful that I am taking off this weight and I know a lot of folks struggling with weight don't even have a chance at this type of option to lose it and I really feel for them so I don't take it for granted and I can see the weight coming off and that is great but I am really down in the dumps knowing now I will never be Normal.

I see a lot of peoples goal weight and it is fairly low for me I want to be at 220 pounds. I will be a lot more active than I have been in 20 years and to maintane that weight I will have to be in the 2200 plus calorie range.

I wish everyone luck and great success with their surgery and if already done I hope it is working well, I will enjoy the weight loss and the feeling of being able to do more things etc. but I don't think I will ever forgive myself for doing this without knowing I will never be normal.

evilstepdad

All I can say is that I'm almost 11 months out and I consider myself normal. I can go out to eat to restaurants with my family or friends (who don't even know I've had surgery) and I feel much more normal than I used to be. Why? Because I used to ALWAYS be hungry, I used to eat despertately and never get full. Now, I go out, eat a bit, drink a glass of wine,have a converstaion and am not thinking about food every single minute of the day!

As much as people give numbers, I can tell you I eat very normal portions for a 5'2", 125lb woman at 2 years out.

Last night, I went out with my girlfriends for Italian food. Of course, there was bread with oil service, 2 slices of bread dipped in herby oil about 30 minutes before our meal arrived(super thin, crunchy type bread), bread is a total slider for me. I proceeded to sip my Water until my meal was served. I ate the bread super slow, the oil lubed it up, and through 30-40 minutes of conversation, I knew I had room for food. So, what did I order?? You're thinking Protein meal right? WRONG, I order a veal/spinach/ricotta canneloni, it was 2 little tube canneloni stuffed with mainly ricotta, veal pieces and a hint of spinach, pretty much just enough to give some color, not a lot of spinach flavor. I ate the first one, and we proceeded to sit there for another hour,and I had actually asked that the 2nd one be boxed up to bring home. Well, as we sat, talked, laughed, b.s.'d for another hour, I nibbled on the second canneloni. Sooooooooooooooooo for me, that's totally normal. Yes, I realize everything I ate was pretty much mush/puree consistency. The canneloni shell was super thin, like I could see the veal through it. Oh and it was smothered in vodka sauce, and freshly grated parmesan cheese slivers.

As for dense Protein, I can eat half of an 8oz ribeye cooked medium with about 1/4 cup of either mashed potatoes, or 1/2 cup of green veggies, and be perfectly content. I can eat 1 soft taco from Taco Bell, or if I tear away all the additional tortilla, I can eat 3/4 of a bean burrito. I can eat 1 cup of chili with Beans.

With the sleeve, there is minimal stretching. Honestly, there is NOT enough tissue left behind to stretch if the surgery is performed correctly. I'm eating the same amounts I was eating around 8-9 months out with some variations on certain foods that have become sliders for me. Bread used to bother me, now certain bready items are slider foods. Biscuits still give me hell, but I don't miss them. As for cheating the sleeve, yep, I do it, and have done it to maintain my weight. I could not eat enough calories in 4 meals per day, and by following the rule of not making my meal last any more than 20-30 minutes. I stretch out my meals further to get in a couple of more ounces. Also, I take breaks when I eat to allow time for some digestion to take place.

I am never questioned about my portions, and I realized it's because I'm not eating any differently than my naturally skinny girlfriends. I never realized how little they ate before because I could enough for 3 of us. I can honestly tell you that I'm normal by all definitions that the world has defined. I can eat 2 slices of pizza if I extend the meal, usually 1 thin slice is good though, but if I wait 15 minutes, I can have another. So, it really depends on how your body works. There's other people that are further out than I am, and they can't tolerate bread, but they can eat more meat than I can, or they can eat 3-4 eggs where I can only eat 1 scrambled egg and it sits like a brick in my stomach. I also can not eat an entire chicken breast, but can eat nearly 6oz of flank or skirt steak because of the consistency/fat content on steak vs. chicken breast. It's weird how different foods work for me. But, I can tell you that if I follow the rules, and don't slack off, I still have amazing restriction. So, there are some variables that surgeons and nutritionists never are privy to. I'm open with my surgeon about things I eat, and how I get in my calories/protein. So, he knows that everyone's mileage is different.

I'm not trying to convince you, but what you feel is normal, might change, and your experience could be different.

As much as people give numbers, I can tell you I eat very normal portions for a 5'2", 125lb woman at 2 years out.

Last night, I went out with my girlfriends for Italian food. Of course, there was bread with oil service, 2 slices of bread dipped in herby oil about 30 minutes before our meal arrived(super thin, crunchy type bread), bread is a total slider for me. I proceeded to sip my Water until my meal was served. I ate the bread super slow, the oil lubed it up, and through 30-40 minutes of conversation, I knew I had room for food. So, what did I order?? You're thinking Protein meal right? WRONG, I order a veal/spinach/ricotta canneloni, it was 2 little tube canneloni stuffed with mainly ricotta, veal pieces and a hint of spinach, pretty much just enough to give some color, not a lot of spinach flavor. I ate the first one, and we proceeded to sit there for another hour,and I had actually asked that the 2nd one be boxed up to bring home. Well, as we sat, talked, laughed, b.s.'d for another hour, I nibbled on the second canneloni. Sooooooooooooooooo for me, that's totally normal. Yes, I realize everything I ate was pretty much mush/puree consistency. The canneloni shell was super thin, like I could see the veal through it. Oh and it was smothered in vodka sauce, and freshly grated parmesan cheese slivers.

As for dense Protein, I can eat half of an 8oz ribeye cooked medium with about 1/4 cup of either mashed potatoes, or 1/2 cup of green veggies, and be perfectly content. I can eat 1 soft taco from Taco Bell, or if I tear away all the additional tortilla, I can eat 3/4 of a bean burrito. I can eat 1 cup of chili with Beans.

With the sleeve, there is minimal stretching. Honestly, there is NOT enough tissue left behind to stretch if the surgery is performed correctly. I'm eating the same amounts I was eating around 8-9 months out with some variations on certain foods that have become sliders for me. Bread used to bother me, now certain bready items are slider foods. Biscuits still give me hell, but I don't miss them. As for cheating the sleeve, yep, I do it, and have done it to maintain my weight. I could not eat enough calories in 4 meals per day, and by following the rule of not making my meal last any more than 20-30 minutes. I stretch out my meals further to get in a couple of more ounces. Also, I take breaks when I eat to allow time for some digestion to take place.

I am never questioned about my portions, and I realized it's because I'm not eating any differently than my naturally skinny girlfriends. I never realized how little they ate before because I could enough for 3 of us. I can honestly tell you that I'm normal by all definitions that the world has defined. I can eat 2 slices of pizza if I extend the meal, usually 1 thin slice is good though, but if I wait 15 minutes, I can have another. So, it really depends on how your body

works. There's other people that are further out than I am, and they can't tolerate bread, but they can eat more meat than I can, or they can eat 3-4 eggs where I can only eat 1 scrambled egg and it sits like a brick in my stomach. I also can not eat an entire chicken breast, but can eat nearly 6oz of flank or skirt steak because of the consistency/fat content on steak vs. chicken breast. It's weird how different foods work for me. But, I can tell you that if I follow the rules, and don't slack off, I still have amazing restriction. So, there are some variables that surgeons and nutritionists never are privy to. I'm open with my surgeon about things I eat, and how I get in my calories/protein. So, he knows that everyone's mileage is different.

I'm not trying to convince you, but what you feel is normal, might change, and your experience could be different.

Tiffykins

Thanks for the replie, sounds like you are doing great. One thing I noticed in your post is that it seems that you tolerate beef a little better than chicken. Last night was talking to my brother n law (has a lapband for two years now) and he was telling me that he does beef better than chicken, go's down better etc..

LOL on the convince, I didn't think you were while reading, just letting me know of how it was for you and I appreciate it. Part of my post was just letting something out that bothered me and part of it was for people who have not had this yet to make sure they ask their doc and make sure they know all the details before going in as I don't think I quite knew that part. It is what it is now so no turning back lol.

Again, thank both of you for your post.

evilstepdad

Tiffykins

Thanks for the replie, sounds like you are doing great. One thing I noticed in your post is that it seems that you tolerate beef a little better than chicken. Last night was talking to my brother n law (has a lapband for two years now) and he was telling me that he does beef better than chicken, go's down better etc..

LOL on the convince, I didn't think you were while reading, just letting me know of how it was for you and I appreciate it. Part of my post was just letting something out that bothered me and part of it was for people who have not had this yet to make sure they ask their doc and make sure they know all the details before going in as I don't think I quite knew that part. It is what it is now so no turning back lol.

Again, thank both of you for your post.

evilstepdad

Beef works way better for me. As a matter of fact, bison, buffalo and venison are my favorites! ! ! Chicken works "okay", but if I want to eat more than about 3 ounces, I have to add food lube of sort like dressing, gravy, ketchup etc.

Chicken thighs work way better than breast meat.

I promise all the eating stuff gets much easier the further out you get. I remember literally crying, like bawling to a fellow VSG'er that was a year further out than myself because I could barely eat 2oz of solid meat at 3 months. I thought I was doomed to a life of this itty bitty strips of meat. I'm probably one of the most carnivorous women you'd meet so I was fairly devastated ha ha ha. But, alas that half of a big, fat juicy ribeye or filet mignon is mighty fabulous ! ! !

My husband was sleeved last April. He eats "regular" portions and regular food--for instance, yesterday we went to a seafood place, and he ate most of an order of onion rings, a side salad with dressing, probably a dozen fried shrimp, and a few French fries. I ate 1 onion ring and 2 shrimp (and it was delicious!!). I should hasten to say we don't eat fried food all the time, really only occasionally (and that was my first fried food since being sleeved). He basically eats whatever he likes and it's really pretty normal-sized portions. He can eat 1/2 a plate of his favorite Mexican enchiladas (there are three big enchiladas on there, with Beans and rice), along with some chips and salsa and queso dip. He usually brings home 1/2 of a restaurant entree, but you know how big most of those are!

Don't worry. You will get there. It may not be the same as before, but you will get to where you feel "normal," and you will be healthier, too. Hang in there--maybe not this summer, but next... you'll be enjoying everything a lot more and will feel much more "normal." I'm waiting for that, too!!

Meg

My husband was sleeved last April. He eats "regular" portions and regular food--for instance, yesterday we went to a seafood place, and he ate most of an order of onion rings, a side salad with dressing, probably a dozen fried shrimp, and a few French fries. I ate 1 onion ring and 2 shrimp (and it was delicious!!). I should hasten to say we don't eat fried food all the time, really only occasionally (and that was my first fried food since being sleeved). He basically eats whatever he likes and it's really pretty normal-sized portions. He can eat 1/2 a plate of his favorite Mexican enchiladas (there are three big enchiladas on there, with Beans and rice), along with some chips and salsa and queso dip. He usually brings home 1/2 of a restaurant entree, but you know how big most of those are!

Don't worry. You will get there. It may not be the same as before, but you will get to where you feel "normal," and you will be healthier, too. Hang in there--maybe not this summer, but next... you'll be enjoying everything a lot more and will feel much more "normal." I'm waiting for that, too!!

Meg

Wow, Meg...your husband's capacity sounds much larger than mine. I'm just over 6 months out. Do you know anything about the bougie size used for his surgery? Reading your post made me a little nervous about how much more I might be able to eat in a few more months.

My fear is jinxing my success. I am working very hard at getting the liquids and Proteins in each day. I cannot eat over 4 oz at any one time. My comfort zone is 2 oz of solid proteins if it is moist or cooked in a broth. I just went to the movies for the first time with my friend--no popcorn. I packed a prebottled Protein Shake and also sipped my liquid Multivitamin drink during the show. It did not bother me, but had I bought popcorn home to my mom it would have taunted me until I got home. Glad I did not get any to take to her. :(

Hi. I'm 12 months out and eating what I could pretty much eat since 9 months out. Think this is it for me. Plenty of restriction but able to enjoy food. Like others volume depends on the food 3-6 oz depending on what I eat. Like tiffykins I can eat close to a cup of chili (my favorite go-to dish). I think my doctor used a bougie size 40.