Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve surgery on Monday morning. I came home yesterday. They really didn't give me liquids at all until right before I came home yesterday. They have instructed me to drink one ounce of liquid (Water or crystal light) every 15 minutes. Each time I drink whether I take very small sips or medium sips, as soon as the liquid hits my stomach I have extreme pain for a brief time. I spoke to someone who had the procedure and they said I was drinking too much too fast, to sip the one ounce over the 15 minute period. I have tried that and still no real difference, and besides how can you sip nonstop all day long? I am concerned that I am not getting enough liquid and very concerned about the pain, as it seems like an unusual happening. I have to call the clinic tomorrow to report on my incisions and plan to tell them but I told the DR before I left the hospital. I figured it would go away but as of yet it has not. They also told me to get 64 ounces of Fluid a day but if I drink one ounce every 15 minutes for 12 hours that is only 48 ounces.

I am drinking special K Protein Water and I tried some of my Protein shake this afternoon and about an hour after drinking I had an episode of reflux of a clear slimy substance...not the shake. I assume this is gastric juices as I have heard of similar instances on this forum.

I realize it is still very soon and I am trying not to worry, but I'll be honest I was not expecting to be in this much discomfort. I have not really been able to pass any gas other than a few burps.

Can you offer any suggestions or reassurances.

Thanks

Lose for Life

I had my sleeve surgery on Monday morning. I came home yesterday. They really didn't give me liquids at all until right before I came home yesterday. They have instructed me to drink one ounce of liquid (Water or crystal light) every 15 minutes. Each time I drink whether I take very small sips or medium sips, as soon as the liquid hits my stomach I have extreme pain for a brief time. I spoke to someone who had the procedure and they said I was drinking too much too fast, to sip the one ounce over the 15 minute period. I have tried that and still no real difference, and besides how can you sip nonstop all day long? I am concerned that I am not getting enough liquid and very concerned about the pain, as it seems like an unusual happening. I have to call the clinic tomorrow to report on my incisions and plan to tell them but I told the DR before I left the hospital. I figured it would go away but as of yet it has not. They also told me to get 64 ounces of Fluid a day but if I drink one ounce every 15 minutes for 12 hours that is only 48 ounces.

I am drinking special K Protein Water and I tried some of my Protein shake this afternoon and about an hour after drinking I had an episode of reflux of a clear slimy substance...not the shake. I assume this is gastric juices as I have heard of similar instances on this forum.

I realize it is still very soon and I am trying not to worry, but I'll be honest I was not expecting to be in this much discomfort. I have not really been able to pass any gas other than a few burps.

Can you offer any suggestions or reassurances.

Thanks

Lose for Life

What is the temperature of your liquids? I found in the beginning that if I started with a warm broth or Decaf tea that my stomach relaxed and I was able to take in room temperature water. I stayed away from cold as my tummy did not care for it in the beginning. I have heard some people were able to drink cold water so I would try out different temperatures and see if your tummy is more agreeable to a certain temperature.

Your tummy is still trying to adjust. Try to keep on getting in your fluids. I promise it will get better just when is the question.

Hi Loseforlife;

Congrats on your new sleeve! Sorry you are having difficulties adjusting...but this is a learning period. Agree with Lily - try room tempature drinks or slighly warmed Decaf tea...I liked peppermint or mint best. Recommend g2 (sugarless/low calorie) gatorade to drink rather than crystal lite which will help with hydration and electrolytes, again drink at room tempature. NO gulping when you drink as this will cause pain. Those slimies were my sign that I was full...think thick clear slime like what a St. Bernard would drool out. Get a shot glass and take a several minutes to slowly swallow that 1oz every 15 minutes. If you are in extreeme pain (as if something is wrong) call your surgeons office. Good luck and let us know if this helps out or what you found works.

Thanks for the advice. I am drinking room temperature Special K Protein Water. The doc told me that drinking cold might make the stomach spasm, so I have not done that. The protien shake yesterday wasd cold and I did not notice any difference other than it did seem to go down a little easier, but again aferwards has the slime. I feel like most of my pain is still trapped gas and air. I have not been able to pass gas except for finally 2 small releases early this morning. I remember when I had my c section and hysterectomy that warm tea or drinks did help me move that trapped gas. I will try some Decaf warm tea today and see how that works. The pain is a little better today but drinking does seem to intensify the "gassy" feeling.

Thanks again, I will keep you all aprised of my progress and will definitely try some of the g2 gatorade for the electrolytes until I can start gettng all of my liquids in.