Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Big Roadblock Down!

On Wednesday I had my secon nutritionist appointment, at which I asked if the third could be waived so that I can have my surgery at the right time for our business. I had my five months of food logging, my proteing drink samples, and the Vitamins I have started taking with me. We talked for a while and she agreed I am ready and prepared mentally for this- so she signed off on me!

With todays colonoscopy behind me (pun intended?) and my upper GI tomorrow that is IT- all re requirements met.

My stuff should be submitted to insurance next week! Hooray!

Meanwhile, my family is totally working to stop me. Not my darling husband and my son- they are totally supportive. My oldest sister and my brother, as well as two of my nieces have started a campaign. The neice who is the web mistress for NASA sent me a multi page power point production . I am so insulted- they act like I am not using my brain and am in la la land about this. For one thing, as I told my niece, I knew everything she sent to me and more she didn't. Do they really think I would do something like have 85% of my stomach removed without thorough research? What must they think of me?

How I wish I had not told them. They are a bunch of Debbie Downers!

I finally wrote to them all and said I do not need information from them, I have plenty of resources for that. What I need from them is love and support. Period. If they don't feel they can give it to me I will leave them out of the loop and wont be discussing the surgery any more.

One thing I keep in mind is that family members and friends sometimes feel threatened with the idea of you leaving your position as the heavy one. Maybe so. All I know is it is a real bummer to have them reacting this way.

Good for you! I think you handled your family in just the right way. I haven't told my siblings yet, and I'm 10 weeks postop. But then I only see them once every two years at our family reunions (they all live long distances from me.) I didn't tell them because they might have reacted the same way yours did. I am hoping to really surprise them next year when I see them again!

Good luck on getting a date set!

YAY for you!!!! I agree that you handled your family perfectly. Why do family and friends get so negative about WLS surgery?

I mean someone could be an raging alcoholic or drug user and I swear.....I think they get less grief from their families than a lot of WLS surgery patients do. It's crazy.

You are on the way to improving your life. Go you!

Posts like this keep reinforcing my decision of not telling my family about this surgery until much later in the process. I'm sorry they are hounding you -- I am really not sure what it is about WLS that sets people off, but it is like a stick of dynamite for some people. Really, what are they freaking out about?

Personally, I think it's the fear of the unknown. I'm sure that part of it is that they are worried about you, but the other part is that people have a hard time with change. They are used to you being the "heavy one", and that's about to change. They will be way outside of their comfort level, and it's difficult for them to handle.

My insignificant other was very angry when he found out that I was getting VSG instead of the lapband. He didn't speak to me for several days. I reminded him that I have supported all of his boy-yoing schemes whether I felt that he was right or wrong, because it was important to him. So after about a week, he told me that I had his full support, because it's more important for me to be healthy.

Hopefully you're family will come around. Won't it be funny when they see you next time, to see the look on their faces. They will be like :o !! You handled them so well, and I think that I will have to take a page from your book, and if the nay-sayers rear their heads again, I will tell them the same thing.

Hang in there, and don't lose your focus.

A power point presentation!!!! That's hilarious!!!!!!!

Way to go on telling them you need their support. Families are funny things. I am sure they are coming from a positive place, but surgical options are somewhat extreme and people have pre-conceived notion about it. Everyone remembers the stories about people dying from gastric bypass surgery several years ago and that is the impression everyone is left with. In their own way, they are expressing how much they care about you.

Congrats on clearing your hurdles and good luck with your surgery!

Lara

A power point presentation!!!! That's hilarious!!!!!!!

Way to go on telling them you need their support. Families are funny things. I am sure they are coming from a positive place, but surgical options are somewhat extreme and people have pre-conceived notion about it. Everyone remembers the stories about people dying from gastric bypass surgery several years ago and that is the impression everyone is left with. In their own way, they are expressing how much they care about you.

Congrats on clearing your hurdles and good luck with your surgery!

Lara

I do know it comes from love but in my family love and judgement are so intertwined as to be one...

When I answered my niece's powerpoint email (which among other things, explained that when it said 75% sleeve patients do blah blah blah it means 25% do not- as if I do not know 75 plus 25 equals 100) I told her that although I knew she cared about me and would not be doing this otherwise, her email did not mention love or caring at all, and the way she signed off was "I wish you luck with your decision" . Oh makes you all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it?

I am giddy right now- I had my upper GI and chest xray today so I have jumped through every single hoop now! I velieve it will all be submitted to insurance Monday.

The flip side of my strength in telling my family off...is that today, when I finished every single pre test hoop and everything is ready to send to insurance- my first thought was to tell my family how happy I am - and they would not be able to feel that for me. It is a sad thing for me. Luckily my husband and son are celebrating and they are my TRUE family. Not to mention my Sleeve Talk family- y'all know how big that is.

Congratulation Meggie,you have made the best decision in your own behaft,since they now about your surgery I wouldn't go any furthur,I wouldn't give then the dates of anything,I would stick to my husband and son and after its all said and done and you start healing and looking good for yourself I really wouldn't worry about what they think,and beside they will soon come around.....you are doing this for you and your health....not for no one else...

Good for you! It's great that you spoke up and now get to move ahead a little sooner. You did all the homework to make an informed decision, so it's odd that your neice wished you well in "your decision" as if you hadn't made it clear that your mind was already made up. Perhaps nothing will quiet them down but your continued success. The most important support, though, is from your dear husband and son and you must be so glad to have them.