Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS questions

HI all,

I take Metformin for PCOS, I am not diabetic. So you all have diarrah as a side effect from the drug? And if so, were you able to stop the drug after getting sleeved? Thanks a lot, Tracy

Hi Tracy, I was on Metformin for about 4 years prior to the sleeve (including during my pregnancy in 2009). I never had diarrhea as a side effect, but I know alot of people do. I was sleeved almost 2 months ago and haven't been back on Metformin since. I'm not sure what my blood sugar looks like these days, but we'll re-evaluate it when I do some blood work in a month or so.

I have taken it- yes I had that side effect severely so I quit taking it- the basic reason they give you that is for weight loss- so after the sleeve I would imagine that you would no longer need to take it. :)

Thanks guys!@ I got hemrroids from using this medication for so long and I think it's not fair because I haven;t birthed any children!!!! LOL!! My daughters are from China and I thought I had excaped this lovely booty problem! I'm off it now to firm things up ...so to speak! Tracy W.

I take it (not sleeved yet) and had the terrible diarrhea, etc. I switched to the Metformin XR (extended release) and the diarrhea problem went away. You didn't mention if you had tried this. I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does. Currently I take two 500 mg in the morning and two at night.

Hi Tracy! I also take the extended release metformin and my issues went away as soon as I switched to it. I would suggest having your doc switch you if that is not what you were taking. My understanding is that the metformin is taken for more than just weight loss. Yes it helps with weight loss but it also helps to open up the cells in your body to accept insulin because right now with pcos about 1/3 to 1/2 of those cells are blocked so the insulin travels around your body wreaks havoc and then has no where to go so it deposits as fat. After surgery you may not need it but until surgery it wont hurt to have the doc prescribe the extended release metformin. :D Extended release is just a time release med instead of dumping all of the metformin into your system at once. Its less of a shock.

I was taking Metformin about a year ago but I stopped taking them because they weren't helping my severly irregular periods. My doctor switched the Metformin to Watson-Low Ovral birth control pills instead to help with the hormones and the period. Which sucks if you are trying to get pregnant but I had already made up my mind to have the sleeve surgery and decided what the hell.... Ill try to get pregnant when I am healthy! hehe. Well I am now 39 pounds down and have not been back on the birth control since my sleeve because my periods are more regular and not as heavy. I am almost 2 months post surgery. ( I am also not diabetic)

Yeah, I did (not currently taking it but I should be, but adding that on top of IBS I would never be able to leave the house). I noticed that walmarts brand is worse than others about it. I told a friend that was having the same problem and he noticed a diff too so steer clear of walmarts brand unless you have tried it and do better with it. I went to CVS to get mine. I still had the problem but only about half as bad as with walmarts brand AND I didn't get the "acid poo's" with the CVS brand either. HTH.