Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GPS Complications?

In light of the recent post made by a gal who said she had some complications with the plication, I'm wondering if anyone who has had issues could post on here so those of us who have not had the surgery yet can be educated and also be Enlightened as to how often complications occur. Also, who did your surgery if you had complications. This would really help so much!

No complications, but the surgery didn't help with my hunger and it's not really restricting the amount I can eat. I really don't feel much different to before the surgery I'm afraid (apart from the first 4 weeks really when I did lose 16lbs). sad.gif

No complications, but the surgery didn't help with my hunger and it's not really restricting the amount I can eat. I really don't feel much different to before the surgery I'm afraid (apart from the first 4 weeks really when I did lose 16lbs). sad.gif

That is terrible to hear! Do you mind my asking who did your surgery? Maybe there isn't enough restriction.

Dr Lopez Corvala did mine. Maybe the pouch wasn't made small enough, maybe he did that coz my BMI pre surgery was 'only' 30. It sucks when you 'fail' at WLS, but I'm trying my best to stay positive, as that's gotta be how the bandsters felt pre-conversion. sad.gif

That is terrible to hear! Do you mind my asking who did your surgery? Maybe there isn't enough restriction.

Dr Lopez Corvala did mine. Maybe the pouch wasn't made small enough, maybe he did that coz my BMI pre surgery was 'only' 30. It sucks when you 'fail' at WLS, but I'm trying my best to stay positive, as that's gotta be how the bandsters felt pre-conversion. sad.gif

How long has it been since your surgery? Are you following a calorie restricted diet by chance, like weight watchers?

It's been 8 weeks and I'm trying to do WW, but am really struggling as I just get too hungry. It really doesn't feel much different to doing WW before I had the op.

How long has it been since your surgery? Are you following a calorie restricted diet by chance, like weight watchers?

I had it done on Jan 21st. I haven't had any complications, and have lost 8lbs since then. Love it. Wish that I would have done it earlier.

I had it done Jan 10th, I have lost 12 pounds since surgery and 25 since pre op diet, I am down a pant size and almost 2 sizes, maybe a couple more pounds. My restriction is good and I do feel hungry, not ravenous hunger and not hungry all the time. I exercise a lot and follow a strict diet of healthy choices and small portions. NEVER felt bad or had a complication. My BMI was 45 and I have over 100 lbs to lose. I didn't choose plication because I wanted a surgery to do all of the work for me, like the VSG seems to do. I want to feel like I am on a more level playing field with myself and my ability to cope with my food addiction. I want the "work", I want to look back and say "I did this", with a little help, emphasis on a little help. Not everyone wants the same things for the same reasons. Some have battled and struggled a lot in life over being fat and they are done fighting and get the VSG, maybe someday if I fail, I will too, but right now I still have fight in me and I want to face my enemy. Sounds corny I know. but hey...

Oh! my doctor DID talk to me about ALL of the risks, including the blood flow to the stomach and leakage. We talked about a lot of things one on one prior to the surgery, over the phone. Whenever I had a question I could e-mail him directly and if I needed to speak to him he would call me. That was before I went to Mexico, when I was still trying to choose a Dr. I didn't get that kind of time with any other Dr. I looked into. Find a Dr. who will give you their time, as much as you need. Not the patient coordinator, but the Dr. and not just one conversation but as many as you need. If you find that kind of Dr. one who takes that kind of interest in you as a person, go with them, for whichever surgery is right for you.

Thanks for the update Melanie! So glad you're doing well. I have heard that the results with VSG are supposed to be similar to the GSP. I would imagine that you are not able to eat nearly as much right?

I had it done Jan 10th, I have lost 12 pounds since surgery and 25 since pre op diet, I am down a pant size and almost 2 sizes, maybe a couple more pounds. My restriction is good and I do feel hungry, not ravenous hunger and not hungry all the time. I exercise a lot and follow a strict diet of healthy choices and small portions. NEVER felt bad or had a complication. My BMI was 45 and I have over 100 lbs to lose. I didn't choose plication because I wanted a surgery to do all of the work for me, like the VSG seems to do. I want to feel like I am on a more level playing field with myself and my ability to cope with my food addiction. I want the "work", I want to look back and say "I did this", with a little help, emphasis on a little help. Not everyone wants the same things for the same reasons. Some have battled and struggled a lot in life over being fat and they are done fighting and get the VSG, maybe someday if I fail, I will too, but right now I still have fight in me and I want to face my enemy. Sounds corny I know. but hey...

Oh! my doctor DID talk to me about ALL of the risks, including the blood flow to the stomach and leakage. We talked about a lot of things one on one prior to the surgery, over the phone. Whenever I had a question I could e-mail him directly and if I needed to speak to him he would call me. That was before I went to Mexico, when I was still trying to choose a Dr. I didn't get that kind of time with any other Dr. I looked into. Find a Dr. who will give you their time, as much as you need. Not the patient coordinator, but the Dr. and not just one conversation but as many as you need. If you find that kind of Dr. one who takes that kind of interest in you as a person, go with them, for whichever surgery is right for you.

That is totally disappointing to hear. Seriously, I hope that is the exception and not the rule because I will be sooooo mad!

It's been 8 weeks and I'm trying to do WW, but am really struggling as I just get too hungry. It really doesn't feel much different to doing WW before I had the op.

I'm not sure if your talking about my post with carrots but I didn't have some issues after eating them as a snack over a 12 hour period. Since over that long of a time I was able to eat half a bag. I had some pretty bad Constipation. I honestly thought pol were over reacting about constipation til I had it myself.. Let me tell you that bone pain I never want to feel again!! I Ishi from BeLiteWeight and she got ahold of my dr for me. Also I work atthe hospital and was able to get advice. Luckly I was able to get over the conner stuff and get better. Other than that time I love my new stomach. I had my surgery done in July 10' and I'm a size 4 now :)

In light of the recent post made by a gal who said she had some complications with the plication, I'm wondering if anyone who has had issues could post on here so those of us who have not had the surgery yet can be educated and also be Enlightened as to how often complications occur. Also, who did your surgery if you had complications. This would really help so much!