Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Weight Gain?

When I went for my first appointment in September I was at 35.1 and my surgeon cautioned me about losing weight prior to approval. Well, I did pretty well at maintaining right up until my last appointment. I finally started cutting back on calories and lost about 8 pounds. However, since getting my approval and have a surgery date (12/28) I seem to be shoveling food into mouth as if I'll never eat again! It has me a little frighened, because I'm just adding pounds I'll have to lose again at the end of the month---not to mention that my body feels terrible stuffing food in all the time. Has anyone else hadthis problem right before surgery?

You mean food funerals? Yah. I have surgery on the 8th and today was my first day doing the pre-op diet.. For the last week, everything i ate was planned and i said "this is the last time i'll be able to eat this." And i mean, those WERE the last time b/c I cannot go to those places once sleeved.

I ended up gaining almost two lbs from my initial weight to my last. I have a BMI of just over 35 as well.

Thanks, April! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one. I really want to do everything correctly, both to lose weight and to have a healthy, successful surgery. It just scared me a little that I've been eating so compulsively.

Good luck on Wednesday!!

I guess it happens everywhere (even here in Italy)... A lady I met a couple of times has been gaining weight since she was approved for surgery. It didn't go well for her and almost ended up in the ER coz she couldn't walk nor breath anymore and now she's fnally on a diet waiting for her surgery.

So I guess it's normal, but don't worry: her BMI was much higher (more or less 59), so of course it was different for her and had problems with the sudden weight gain...

I think it's pretty normal, but try not to go overboard. You need to shrink your liver prior to surgery so that the surgeon is less likely to have a problem working around it.

So guilty of the food funerals! I had gained a few pounds at my last doctor appointment a couple of days ago. My doctor was not happy and neither was I. I have two weeks until surgery and even though I only have to do a 48 hour liquid diet because I am a revision, I will start cutting back on carbs tomorrow. I figure it will make the big day less traumatic for my body. Good luck with your surgery!

You mean food funerals? Yah. I have surgery on the 8th and today was my first day doing the pre-op diet.. For the last week, everything i ate was planned and i said "this is the last time i'll be able to eat this." And i mean, those WERE the last time b/c I cannot go to those places once sleeved.

I ended up gaining almost two lbs from my initial weight to my last. I have a BMI of just over 35 as well.

why can`t you goto those places? a benefit of the sleeve is to be able to eat anything in moderation after a time that is. :)

When I went for my first appointment in September I was at 35.1 and my surgeon cautioned me about losing weight prior to approval. Well, I did pretty well at maintaining right up until my last appointment. I finally started cutting back on calories and lost about 8 pounds. However, since getting my approval and have a surgery date (12/28) I seem to be shoveling food into mouth as if I'll never eat again! It has me a little frighened, because I'm just adding pounds I'll have to lose again at the end of the month---not to mention that my body feels terrible stuffing food in all the time. Has anyone else hadthis problem right before surgery?

I did the same thing. I had gained 5 lbs before my pre-op visit. I also have a MBI in the 35 lb. range. He did not require a long pre-op diet. I am doing my second day of liquids today and then surgery tomorrow. Yeah!

why can`t you goto those places? a benefit of the sleeve is to be able to eat anything in moderation after a time that is. :)

They're Asian buffets, so while I do not 'gorge' there (i'd much rather pay a higher price for variety), I refuse to pay $15.99 for 2 sips of Soup and a pc of raw fish. Other than those, i'm planning to have no issue going anywhere. :)

My last month pre-op basically consisted of constant consumption of these:

sushiboat.jpg

and these:

rittersport.jpg

Girl I gained 10 lbs, yes 10 POUNDS from the time I decided on the surgery till I had it. Everyone one of my favorite foods I had and I obviously had a lot of favorites (except red Beans n rice :( ) I wish I wouldn't have because I'd be 10lbs less now but then again I didn't miss anyfoods and I still don't so maybe it helped a little.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I have only done my consultation and seminar. I haven't even been able to schedule my first appt with the surgeon, nut, and exercise person until Monday because my insurance goes into effect tomorrow!

My whole family was off this week and I have made it a week of celebrating my favorite things: Olive Garden, Mexican food, a double scoop cone at Baskin Robbins, krinkle fries at White Castle, chips and chili con queso and a big slice of chocolate cake and ice cream at Buffalo Wild Wings. Tomorrow my 5' 10", 126 pound daughter is going grocery shopping with me and we are going to load up the cart with nutritious foods. My husband has already started to eat more healthy so there won't be a fight about that. :D Paige, my daughter, has already sworn to force me to get out and move a little each day. Hopefully this will all get me primed and ready when the time does come.

Oh, but I have forgotten to eat one last thing--a big Breakfast at Cracker Barrel. I may have to do that before I go back to work on Monday. :P

Oh, but I have forgotten to eat one last thing--a big Breakfast at Cracker Barrel. I may have to do that before I go back to work on Monday. :P

I know. I had a few food funerals before I started my pre-op diet. I was sleeved Dec 1st. But I know it is not forever. Today my husband and I went out to eat for the first time in almost 2 mos. Cracker Barrell breakfast....is so good. I made the right choices with 1 egg scrambled (egg beaters) no biscuit or toast and ate one piece of bacon. I couldn't even finish the egg. I felt good about my choices but realized that I still need to slow down more when eating out. It was nice to go out and still work the sleeve. Hang in there, and take it one day at a time.

YES!!! I am going thru thisalso.. It is killin me and my body feels like crap, lol