Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just can not do it!

I do not care how hard I try, I am doing good to get in 40 gms of Protein a day. I am drinking a 10 gram shake, and 2 Protein Bars a day. I get in a little more other stuff...Maybe 10 more grams on good days. Oh yeah, I also try to get in a 10 gm yogurt but not every day. It is like every thing I put in my mouth needs to be super protein charged and I still NEVER get 70 gms. I just can not eat that much. How do ya'll do it???

I do not care how hard I try, I am doing good to get in 40 gms of Protein a day. I am drinking a 10 gram shake, and 2 Protein bars a day. I get in a little more other stuff...Maybe 10 more grams on good days. Oh yeah, I also try to get in a 10 gm yogurt but not every day. It is like every thing I put in my mouth needs to be super protein charged and I still NEVER get 70 gms. I just can not eat that much. How do ya'll do it???

Deb- 2 scoops of Isopure Zero Carb Protein powder in a glass of Water, with a flavored sugar free syrup=50 grams of protein. 10 gram shakes aren't going to do it--get some heavy duty whey isolate (25 grams per scoop).

Good luck!

Donna

I do not care how hard I try, I am doing good to get in 40 gms of Protein a day. I am drinking a 10 gram shake, and 2 Protein bars a day. I get in a little more other stuff...Maybe 10 more grams on good days. Oh yeah, I also try to get in a 10 gm yogurt but not every day. It is like every thing I put in my mouth needs to be super protein charged and I still NEVER get 70 gms. I just can not eat that much. How do ya'll do it???

Deb, I feel ya. I can't do it either. :confused1: I'm starting to see how I will get there eventually as my restriction loosens up a little bit and I can eat more protein rich foods. But, as long as I continue to eat 2 or 3 tablespoons of solid foods at a time, it's not happening for me. This morning I heated up two small Breakfast sausage links for Breakfast but could only eat one. That was almost a waste of my time in terms of trying to get in some protein. :)

I loved the Atkins Protein shakes on my preop diet, but they make me queasy now as do the other milky/sweet ones. I can't stand the taste of any of those kinds postop. Luckily I didn't try Isopure RTD before surgery and I really like them now. They are the best source of protein and have 45 grams per 20 ounces. But, I can't seem to drink the whole bottle within a day. I usually get in half a bottle a day because I tend to drink it in the evening and I have to let it settle on my stomach after about half the bottle. If it wasn't for those, I'd probably be weak as all get out by this point.

Today was my first day back at work and it was really busy. I didn't get to focus on my protein (or fluids) the way I have been at home. I'm too scared to even try to calculate how few grams I got today because I didn't do my Isopure drink either. I'm going to have suck that whole bottle of Isopure down every day until I can eat enough to get somewhere near 60-70 grams. I think once I get back into a routine at work I'll be able to do better there.

I haven't tried myfitness pal or any of the other food trackers, but here's a great resource to figure out the protein count in many foods. I just use it to help me with the mental tracking I do each day. I especially love that it has fast food restaurant stats. It also really helped on my preop diet when I had to count carbs.

CalorieKing - Diet & Weight Loss Information - Calorie Counter and Nutritional Information

If anyone can recommend a good food tracking smartphone app for Windows Mobile phones I would appreciate it.

I never used shakes or bars. I stuck with Protein dense meats, cheese, and greek yogurt.

3oz of chicken has about 21gr of Protein.

Shredded up added some greek yogurt, and some ranch style dressing mix, makes a great protein filled chicken salad.

I could never eat protein bars because of all the sugar alcohols, and they were just too filling. I still can barely eat 1/2 granola bar comfortably. It takes me a good 20-30 minutes to eat a chewy granola bar, and then I'm stuffed if I eat the entire bar.

Can you not eat meat? If you eat 4 meals per day with 15 grams of protein, you'll hit at least 60gr of protein per day. That's how I did it during the losing stage and when I could not eat anymore than 3-4oz of food per meal.

If you're able to tolerate a Protein shake, you need to drink one that has way more Protein than 10 grams. There are many with 20-25 grams. The Premeire from costco have 30 and they are very popular here.

Tuna is high in protein. I think your problem is that you're trying to get it all from drinks and bars.

I have a costco Premier shake (30 grams) for breakfast every morning and that gets me halfway to my 60 gram goal without breaking a sweat. I do have to drink it very slowly, though, because if I chug it I get an upset stomach. I drink it at my desk at work and it goes down easy over the course of about an hour. If I start my day with that, most days I end up over 70 grams if I eat lean Protein for lunch and dinner.< /p>

If you're looking for shakes with the Protein in then I use BSN Lean Dessert ones.. .they have 21g per scoop and I make them with milk which mine has another 8.4g Protein per 200ml glass so thats almost 30g per shake.

If I'm on a day where my meat intake is low then I'll have one of these as well to bump it up.

Odaisy, When you say a shake has 20 + grams of Protein, how many ounces are you talking about? I have started drinking the Naked Protein shakes and 10 grams is for 8 oz.

Tiff, chicken has been very difficult for me to handle since the surg. I do like your idea of adding yogurt though. I may just try that. Do you actually weigh your meat or are you eyeballing it? If you are weighing it, is that raw or cooked? I also like your suggestion of eating 15 grams 4 times p day. Is 60 grams what you shoot for?

We do not have a cosco anywhere around me.

I did pretty good today. I have had 60 + grams. I have pretty much had to eat all day though. I really do not want to eat if I am not hungry. That is a habit I am trying to break. Today = 2 Protein Shakes = 20

pr bar = 10

2 string cheeses = 12

2 slices ham w cheese rolled up inside = 16

cheese nips = 2______

50 GRAMS

Then I had a piece of fried venison = ?

butterbeans = 6

So I would say I got at least 60 grams!!! WOO Hoo~!

I shoot for 60grams of Protein, and now can get in over 100grams.

For the chicken, I have a recipe for chicken wings in the crock pot. They are so tender and juicy, it literally just melts in your mouth if you'd like me to share with you. If you can't do chicken, try canned tuna, crab or salmon for Protein dense foods.

My stomach holds by volume. I used those little medication measuring cups early out until I could eyeball a portion. Weighing food never made sense to me since our tummies hold food by volume and not weight. Food is always cooked for my measurements. I know some food will measure by volume the same as it does by weight, but others will be totally off. 3oz of chicken has about 21gr of protein so I shot for 3oz of chicken for most meals early out. If you can't do 3oz of meat, try adding a soft cheese (most have 2-6gr of protein), or greek yogurt to the mix to help max out protein grams.

If you have a crock pot, have you tried dumping a frozen chicken breast or a couple of thighs in there with a can of cream of "whatever you like" Soup, and then shred the chicken. Cook it low and slow for about 6-8 hours, and you might have better luck with chicken that way.

I also throw round steak in the crock pot with cream of Soups, and let it cook low and slow until it's super tender.

Here's a recipe I found tonight, and it is deliciously wonderful.

Spinach beef hot dish

Beef Spinach Hot Dish Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I added a bunch of minced garlic, and Worchestershire sauce to the meat while browning it.

1 can of cream of mushroom 98% reduced fat soup

1 package of frozen spinach

1 (8oz) package of non-fat cream cheese

Brown the meat, drain

Add the spinach, stir until mixed well and all liquid evaporates

Add the soup

Add the cream cheese

Stir in skillet until mixed well

Transferred to a 9x9 casserole pan sprayed with Pam.

Baked in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

I added several heavy handed dashes of Season All No salt, and 1/4 tsp of ground cayenne pepper to the mixture before tossing it in the oven.

I'll serve it to the guys in the house over no yolk egg noodles, and I'm eating it by itself no noodles tonight for me. I've also served it with mashed potatoes and long grain rice. It's a staple in our home. I've also made it with ground turkey, and the guys didn't know it wasn't ground beef.

This recipe freezes very well, and tastes really great a couple of weeks later. It does make a large amount with just 1 package of spinach.

The drinks I drink are also BSN Lean Dessert. I like the fudge pudding and I mix it with the banana pudding . They are 25 grams for 8 oz.

The muscle milk light is 10 oz I think for 20 grams. tiffy found some that have 20 or 25 grams and it would depend on how much Water you mix it with as to how many oz.

It's on the thread, "places to order samples"

I make chicken salad by mixing it with the spinach dip already made at the store. I used to use a food chopper to make sure the chicken was very tiny, but now I just use a fork.

Do you like tuna? tuna is very high in Protein and you can use low fat mayo and do the same with egg salad and a tiny bit of mustard.

I used to use turkey burger and crumble it up, mix in a little sour cream and taco sauce, and that was yummy too.

Deb, try mixing your own shakes. That way you can control the amount of Fluid the powder is dissolved in, so you can fit 25 g Protein in 4-6 oz of milk (which will add another 5-10 g protein). Hopefully it will be a bit easier to get down.

Alternatively, a lot of the bodybuilder-oriented RTD shakes like MuscleMilk offer a pretty good amount of Protein per fl oz. There's a low-cal version of Muscle Milk that's pretty good cold, it's something like 20-25 g protein for a pack smaller than a can of pop. You can buy it at most grocery stores, Walmart, etc.

I get muscle milk light at costco. I looked at it tonight. It's 8oz and 20 grams of Protein. It's kind of sweet. If you aren't liking sweet things these days ( a lot of people report they don't like things sweet after surgery. That is not me though)

It tastes just like chocolate milk to me.You can buy it in the grocery store in bigger containers but I haven't seen the light in the grocery store. I've heard the banana is really gross.

I have seen 4 packs of the light at Walmart that are just like the ones I get at costco.< /strong>

You can get BSN lean dessert at vitacost.com. they are big containers though. They come in tons of flavors. I think there is a

place to order samples on my thread

"places to get samples"

Vitacost is great. 4.99 shipping for no matter how much stuff you order. I am addicted to the OH Yeah Protein Bars and I get them there too.

They are the consistency of a kit kat bar and I get the peanut butter/chocolate.