Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diarrhea - 4 months out

I'm puzzled - I'm 4 months out and 4 times I've had diarrhea "attacks" - yesterday I ate at a restaurant and by the time we paid the check I knew I had to use the bathroom - I stopped at 3 bathrooms and the last one I was in a huge department store, went up the escalator, got off the escalator and had diarrhea - went down my legs before I could get to the bathroom - and I know people saw this. I had to ask someone to get me a towel so I could get out of the store - it was awful!! And NO I did not eat too much - does anyone have any idea? I need help. This was humiliating. Thanks.

Did you by chance have coffee? I am 3 months out and coffee always gives me diarrhea (I only have it at home when I know I am not going anywhere for at least two hours). Luckily this is the only thing that has done it so far, but it is pretty violent when it does. I am quite sure if a bathroom were not immediately available, I could have an accident.

My doctor told me that sometimes you will have a bad reaction to a food, but then try it again in a month and many times you will find you can tolerate it. So don't lose hope of having rich chocolate, just try it when you will be home next time. I was doing that with milk, I thought I had become lactose intolerant but now I find that while milk still doesn't agree with me, I can have some cheeses. Good luck and I am glad you haven't experience any more symptoms.

It could be a hi acid response to something your eating. Are you taking your ppi still? Rich chocolate sounds like a possible reaction to the fat type also, so it could just be one of those things you don't tolerate well for now, or forever. Or worse yet, it could be the first signs of empending gall bladder failure. Any pain at all on your right side when the attacks happened?

Jamey and Jaffa - thanks for your replies - James - that's what I thought also that I am having some Lactose intolerance (not connected with that awful diarrhea episode - but in general) - my stomach gurgles alot when I have milk. I'm trying soy milk right now. JAFFA - YES I'm still taking the PPI religiously (I've taken one of these for the past 15 years!) - And I do hope I'm not having gallbladder issues - oh yikes! Thanks again. As I say, I haven't had anything for the past 2 weeks and I'm thinking it was something I ate at the restaurant but never in my life have I been so embarressed. I wrote an anonymous thank you note to the store for helping me .

Hi Trish, I don't know what caused your horrible episodes, but I just want to express my solidarity with you, it's a horrible position to be is and I am so on your side.

Jane x

Hi Trish, I don't know what caused your horrible episodes, but I just want to express my solidarity with you, it's a horrible position to be is and I am so on your side.

Jane x

chocolate silk milk Light- low calorie, good Protein and delicious. I make my shakes with it.

Jane J - thanks for your response - I don't know what caused it either - it's been 2 weeks - no more episodes.

Congratulations to you on your weight loss - 1 pound to go! Fantastic. My weight loss is slooooow - I've lost 36 pounds in the past 4 months (since surgery) and have another 25 to go. Slow is ok with me.

Well Trish, you will get there and more importantly stay there. Hope the old plumbing is still ok.

Jane x