Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Checking back in, surgery back on radar for now

Hey everybody! I pray all of you are doing great!! Looks like y'all are from the threads I'm reading.

I'm sure 99.9% of you don't even know who I am, LOL. I was here in Feb and March praying to be approved by insurance for the sleeve but it did not happen because I'm not a footstep away from dying on paper and my BMI wasn't high enough. Fooled around for awhile and finally got myself on Atkins at the end of May. Lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks with 8.5 of those in the first week. Went on vacation last week to Panama City Beach, went off plan and came back with 4.5 lbs of those 9 back on me so I'm back on plan as of today.

Anyway, while on vacation my hubby saw me almost break down several times over different situations. On the beach, seeing all the normal people walking around in their cute suits and coverups. On the way down there noticing how fat the back of my arms have gotten. Having to crop all the photos before sharing with family and friends so I could cut out the parts I didn't want anyone seeing. Going into I don't know how many surf shops and not finding anything near my size in suits, sun dresses or coverups. And then going to one that advertised a plus size section only to find that most of them looked like nothing I would want to wear and on top of that, it costing like $40 for a no name swim top only. I don't mind paying that for a brand that I know but no way I'm paying that for these cheesy cheaply made things those shops along the beaches carry. I had a blast but there were hard times and every single one of those hard times was due to my weight.

So, while there and again on the way home, my hubby tells me that he noticed how upset I had gotten and to find out how much it would cost us a month to just pay for surgery. I should be excited right????? Well, part of me is, but now that I know he would pay for this for me, I'm scared to death. So, I'm back researching and am also considering the POSE procedure. But since that procedure is so new, it's impossible to find people that have actually had it to see how they are doing so I can do my research. Only thing I can do on that surgery is talk to the only doc in Louisiana that does it and hope that it's all truth. So, if anyone knows where someone is that has had the POSE procedure or even the ROSE (same surgery except for ppl revising from bypass or other wls) I'd love it if you could point me in the right direction. If we are going to go into debt to pay for this, I want to do what's best and what is least likely to have complications but I also want to do what's going to help me get healthy and stay that way for the rest of my life. Don't want to do the POSE and end up revising that to a sleeve later on or something, kwim??

Anyway, sorry I didn't keep up with the boards and the buds I had started making here better than I have. I was kinda down and sad for awhile after I gave up the hope for surgery and still kinda am. But, thats no excuse for keeping in touch. Take care everyone and have a blessed night!!!

PS posting this on OH as well so ya don't have to re-read it over there ;-)

God bless ya!

Krystal

Hey there, glad to see you around again.

You may want to type in the word imbrication, or plication into the search box at the top, and you'll find some threads that discuss the total gastric vertical plication. There are a couple of doctors in LA performing it, and I think the cost was around $6500. It's not the sleeve, there is no stapling, they simply pleat the stomach tissue over itself to give you a smaller stomach. There is no stomach removal, and the procedure is very new. But, it is showing similar results to the sleeve for weight loss early out. No long term results really are out there to note if ghrelin plasma levels are lower, or if there will be regain, stretching, but it is showing positive initial results. There are a few patients around here that have had the plication/imbrication performed and seem to be doing well. Just research it until you can research it no more, and go in knowing that in a few years you may still have to revise. Most of us had to consider that when we chose the sleeve as well because there aren't major long term studies out over 5 years for the sleeve. Grant it, those 5 yr studies are promising, but revising to DS is a possibility for some and I know a few that have had to go route with the sleeve after not making goal. Those patients did have a bmi higher than 60-65 and had hoped the VSG would get them to goal.

Any of the WLS can be successful. Remember we all have to change how we eat, what we choose to put in our mouths, and you have to be comfortable with your choice.

The rose procedure or anything similar to it is not what you want because it has an enormous failure rate. If you're going to self-pay, you don't want to waste your money on something that has failed 1000's of patients. I just read up on the POSE procedure, and personally, just my opinion, check out the total gastric vertical plication before you go with that surgery.

There is a surgeon here in SLC who is doing my post op care that is doing this procedure for free and you pay for your hospital stay and anasthesia only. The cost is 6300. He has a very weird bed side manner, but is an excellent surgeon and has great staff as well. His name is Dr. Cottam and he is out of the Surgical Weight loss center. I'm glad to see you back around! I hope that you find the answer that is best for you.

Anna

Oh Krystal yay it's so good to hear from you, I just told my cousin about the plication surgery and search it on this site there are several who have had it and may be willing to share experience with you. You said The Lord was in control and tjis may be your answer. Just so happy to see yo back!!Hugs..Carla

Hey girls!!! Yay, so glad to see all of you still here!!! How are you all doing??? Your weight loss tickers show some killer results!!!

Ok Tiffy, you rock as always!!! Alright, so, plication would be the way to go. I have googled I don't know how many different ways trying to find plication surgeons, most definitely none have come up for Louisiana. Do you happen to remember off the top of your head a name or piece of a name of a Louisiana surgeon?? Much thanks!!

Fixin' to do a search on this site for it, prolly what I should have done in the first place. I'm REALLY excited now!!!

God bless you girls!!

Krystal

Hey girl, yeah, he's in Salt Lake City. Can't find anyone in Louisiana other than the ones who do the POSE procedure. I might call Dr. Cottam's office and ask them directly about other US surgeons doing the plication.