Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

next tuesday is the day! i'm so excited to get this band out and have the sleeve done.

however, i am curious about the pain after surgery. is it pretty similar to the pain/discomfort you had with the band?

personally, i didn't think the pain after the band surgery was bad at all. i never took the pain medicine they gave me. the only discomfort i had was trying to find a comfortable way to sleep for the first few days.

i know everyone is different but i wanted to find out what you thought of the pain and discomfort.

thanks!

next tuesday is the day! i'm so excited to get this band out and have the sleeve done.

however, i am curious about the pain after surgery. is it pretty similar to the pain/discomfort you had with the band?

personally, i didn't think the pain after the band surgery was bad at all. i never took the pain medicine they gave me. the only discomfort i had was trying to find a comfortable way to sleep for the first few days.

i know everyone is different but i wanted to find out what you thought of the pain and discomfort.

thanks!

I don't think I was ever in "pain" after my sleeve. "Ache" is a better word. I was tender around the incisions, of course, but only really noticed the sleeve when I laid on one side. I took the pain meds, but they seemed pretty mild. But I was able to have the spinal tap with my surgery, and I've heard it said by others that the first couple of days are easier with that.

Pain after I got the band out was bad for me. I was in pain. The port site stuck out like the size of an orange---scared me to death because I thought it would never go down. And it didn't...for about a good month and a half. If you are getting your band out and sleeve done at the same time, you're in for pain. I feel badly for you. Make sure you have help...you'll need it. The second day of my sleeve it felt like when I had my c-section. Third day got much better and I'm on my fourth and I feel really good. Just know that that port site is gonna hurt because they have to dig into the muscle to get it out. Well, that's just what happened in my case, hopefully it won't be so bad for you. Wish you well....it's all worth it anyway you look at it. =)

I wonder if the port site will hurt the most. I had my band removed in November but I still have my port. It seems that removing the port will be the most painful besides having someone cut 85% of your stomach off, lol.

I am scheduled to have band out and sleeve done on July 2. Thank you all for your honesty. We need the truth. Hopefully and Prayfully this is my answer to losing weight.

just to update now that i've had my surgery....

my pain was pretty much like it was with the band. VERY LITTLE. the major incision was the most painful....and it only lasted 2-3 days. all the other small incisions didn't bother me at all. in fact, i didn't even use the pain medicine they gave me. i'm now 5 days out and up doing everything i was doing before surgery. in fact, i cleaned my house today with no problems :)

awesome. I am having my band out and sleeve done on Tuesday the 27th. I was wondering how different it would be from the band. I too didn't hurt badly with the band. I don't think I took the pain meds at all either. I'm hoping for your same experience. I'm very nervous about having the sleeve and it freaks me out thinking of doing something that is permanent, Especially if it makes me feel as bad as my band did at times.

My band was removed, hiatal hernia repaired, and sleeve all on 7/6/10. I was in more discomfort with this surgery than the original band and hiatal hernia repair. I was actually kept in hospital an extra night (2 total). I went back to work 2 weeks following surgery this time and only worked 1/2 days because I was so tired. This just seemed to take more out of me. Yesterday was the first that I really started having energy and could work the entire day.

Following my band I was up walking within a few hours. It was the next day with this surgery. I was back to my normal activities in one week with the band. I'm still not quite there yet.

Not trying to be discouraging, but the point is everyone is different and the length of time your surgery takes can very depending on the damage that has to be repaired. The longer you are "under" the longer it takes to bounce back. I was under 3 hours. I think that was a record for my surgeon. He's known for being very fast so the repairs were extensive.