Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SUMMER or FALL sleeve????

:001_unsure:Hi everyone, my question is....WHEN would be the best time of the year to be sleeved? now that i've finally made the decision to have it done, i want it done asap because i cannot wait to start my new life (yay!!) but my family is cautioning me to wait until summer is over. the only reason for doing this is because we just bought a trailer and they are wanting me to enjoy the summer/bbq's. so my question is how unrealistic is it of me to think that i can entertain all summer while recuperating from surgery and doing liquids/puree and learning how to eat with a sleeve? was it really that difficult as a newbie? also, not sure if i would tell everyone so how would i handle the pureed food (lol) in front of people?

I can only speak as a pre sleever... but I'd rather get it over with.

We started looking at the sleeve idea back in February, and were waiting for finances to get moved around and a family wedding commitment before booked a date. I'd much rather have had it done there and then, instead of waiting.

I also think I will be less likely to want lots of food in the summer months (we're in Spain so it gets quite hot here). And I can make use of the cooler mornings and evenings to do some walking, and use our pool for swimming in once cleared for it after surgery. In the winter months I'll not be able to swim (as the pool will be too cold) and I love it.

I know some have found their liquids really hard, I'm finding it (pre op so far) ok.... and have been around people when they are eating. I can honestly say I have not drooled once....and found it quite a rewarding challenge to cope with it.

One way to cope might be to do the cooking,..... and busy yourself that way, rather than sit around waiting for cooked food that you can't eat. I get a lot of satisfaction from providing for people, knowing they can gain the weight not me!! LOL

Good luck

Kathy

im in the same boat myself for a few reasons. The primary one being that I know I'm not ready, I've 95% made the decision to go from band to sleeve, but I'm not quite there yet and my eating needs to improve dramatically. Also, I live in Brooklyn, and summer in the city is fantastic, and I'm very active and social. Also, I'm turning 30 in September and want to have a huge party and go sky-diving, and also Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I was thinking about waiting until November and the colder months. So I'm torn between the rational decision of waiting until I'm truly ready, and the wanting to wait to not ruin my social life and favorite season!

As for yourself, I think that prolonging the surgery because of wanting to indulge in summer foods may not be the best decision, in my opinion. Plus you said that your famiky wanted to you to wait for that reason, and it doesn't sound like the healthiest decision, and it also doesn't sound like YOUR decision. I've learned through one WLS already and through what is often said in my support groups is that the people around you, as much as they may love you, may not always have YOUR best intentions at heart. I mean even marriages break-up after one person gets WLS; just something to be aware of, and I hope I didn't sound too harsh. Best of luck!

Honestly, I wouldn't wait. You'll only be on the post-op diet for a 2-4 weeks. Once you get to mushy/puree, depending on your guidelines, you can have pretty much anything that can be mushed up manually with a fork or your teeth.

You won't be eating much, but you will still be able to enjoy time with your family. And, you'll probably feel better while losing weight than you have in a long time so the eating around people will be just an afterthought. If you don't plan on telling everyone and anyone questions your lack of eating large meals, just tell them "I had a big breakfast" or "I'm just gonna snack for now, and have more later."

For me, very few people ever commented on me eating small portions. It was mainly the servers/waitstaff at restaurants that wanted to ensure that my meal was satisfactory. I still didn't tell them about my surgery. I just told them that the meal was fabulous, and I'm looking forward to my leftovers tomorrow for lunch. I attend a monthly luncheon with 30-50 other military wives. Some know about my surgery, other don't and no one ever seems to really notice that I eat a tiny portion of the huge lunch that is served.

In the fall, there will be another excuse. "Why don't you wait until after Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years so you can Celebrate and enjoy the big holiday meals?" So, you might as well get it done and over with and really start living. I think you'll be able to entertain, host, and enjoy these outings with your family post-sleeve. Just be prepared, and ask your family to support you in your efforts.

I had a summer sleeve. It will be one year on June 13th! I had it three weeks before a scheduled three week vacation to Lebanon. I don't regret it one bit! It was harder for my husband's family than it was for me, because they love to feed you there. I was transitioning through to solids by the end of the trip, so I was able to have some bites here and there. I think there were major benefits to having it done before my summer trip. I was so busy exploring the country, swimming, walking, go-carting, playing with the kids, praying while in any sort of moving vehicle, shopping (you get the picture) - that I never really missed not being able to eat. Also, I was getting fantastic exercise in. If I had waited until I came home and then went right back to work, I don't think my healing process would have gone nearly as well. I would have been stuck on the computer all day with my butt in the chair and we all know that isn't good for healing! The only downfall was that I tired out a little more easily and sometimes I had to opt for sleep instead of going to a nightclub.

I say start your new life as soon as you can. When you look back, you will be very glad you did!

hey everyone, thanks for all your input!! i didn't mean to imply that it was a way to keep on indulging over the summer months (well, maybe, when it comes to having an ice cold beer on a hot summer day!!) but it was more about having so much company around me for meal times. i didn't realize that the post-op diet was such a short time. it's funny, because my appetite has already decreased and food isn't as enjoyable since making the decision to go ahead with the sleeve. thanks again for all the input...i'm glad that everyone who has been sleeved thinks it is a realistic time for me!! my gut has been telling me to do it now so...i'll let you know what date i book!

SParkle - good luck with your upcoming surgery!!!!

I don't think you'll regret getting it done sooner.....:crying:

SParkle - good luck with your upcoming surgery!!!!

And thanks very muchly! Will keep you informed!!

Kathy