Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre/Post op questions for surgery in MX

I'm still in the very early stages of doing my research into VSG. My health insurance does not cover it due to the "no evidence of long term..." so I will be a self-pay. I am considering Dr. Aceves but have a few questions...

1. Is there anything required pre-op as far as tests are concerned or do you just show up at the hospital in Mexico and everything is done during the visit?

2. What do you do for post-op care? Who checks your sutures (are there any???) What tests need to be done, how often and for how long after surgery? Is this something I should make arrangements with my PCP before I go?

I have an appointment with my PCP next week where I plan on discussing this with him. I'm nervous about what his reaction will be.

Thanks!!

Hello,

I just had surgery in Mexico last month. Other than a short pre-op diet there was nothing for me to do prior to my arrival in Mexico. They picked me up at 7 am, had lab work done at 8 am, by the time we got to the hospital the lab work had been done. I had and EKG by 10am and by 11 am was in surgery. I had another day and a half in the hospital with an IV and nurses changing my dressings. Once released to the recovery house my dressing were changed twice a day by an assistant. I went home 4 days after surgery and changed my own dressings. Ten days after surgery I removed my own sutures. I did go to my PCP as soon as I got back to town to get American antibiotics. I just wanted to make sure the antibiotics I got were of a good quality. My PCP didn't seen any issues with the cipro I was given in Mexico, but she wrote the script for me anyway.

I do want to state that I had been going through the process of getting the lapband approved through my insurance for 8 months prior to my VSG surgery. I was going to True Results, so I had all of the psych, sleep study, and nutrional visits. I actually think this was a pretty cool way of doing things. I got all the benefits of knowing exactly what I was going to be dealing with after WLS, I just didn't get the actual procedure done here in the US.

Bill

I am also having surgery in Mexico in February and Dr. Aceves only does the basics for pre-op testing. Which should be fine if you do not have any issues. However, since I have a somewhat complicated medical history I am under medical care with a cardiologist and hematologist her in the US already. My cardiologist ran extensive tests (nuclear stress test, echo, etc) and my hematologist is going to put her two cents in as well to make sure that I am good to go. If you have no other issues though, you should be fine with the basic tests. I would maybe have that discussion with your PCP and if he feels like you should have some tests run, they can run them here as diagnostic for comorbidities or symptoms and they would be covered under your insurance that way. But as I said, I have some health issues that warrented those tests.

thanks for this post... i have the same questions. thanks for those who have posted and will post kelly

If you choose Dr. Aceves (who by the way is a great choice), you will have all your pre-op testing the day before your surgery. You will also meet with the Anesthesiologist, Medical Doctor, Dr. Aceves, Dr. Campos, etc. You will get a copy of all your test results to take home, which makes it nice for follow up.

You can just follow up with your primary care physician. Dr. Aceves will give you a list of what you will need tested in the future that your primary care physician can refer to. If your primary care physician will not do this, it is time to search for a new one. I would definately check with the PCP to make sure they will follow you before you have your surgery, just to be sure.

There are no sutures that need to come out. They use the same glue and steri strips that are used in the U.S. to close the top layer of skin. All the other sutures are deeper in the lower layers of skin/muscle and will either absorb or are permanent.

I had wonderful care from Dr. Aceves and all his "crew" at the hospital in Mexicali. I will be going to him for my 3 month check up as he is one of the most impressive physicians I have ever had the priveledge to have met/used services of. I have worked in many different major teaching medical facilities all over the world and have worked with thousands of physicians. Dr. Aceves ranks in the top 5 of all physicians I have ever came across for knowledge, follow up, and general over all professionalism. By the way, I am not one of the paid "hacks" who are paid to post. I really don't care who you choose as it is your preference and who you feel comfortable with. I am just letting you know of my experience!

Good luck in your Quest for the sleeve. It is FANTASTIC!!!!!

3636milie.... i see that you are in az as i am. you said that you worked in many teaching facilities. are you a nurse? i am and was wondering if you are, how long did you wait before going back to patient care? thanks kelly

Kelly,

Yes, I am a nurse (Director of Nursing at an ambulatory surgery center). I returned to work 3 weeks after surgery. I spend about 75% of my time in the operating rooms helping with patient positioning, moving patients, helping transport patients to Recovery Room, mopping floors, etc. It is the busy "snow bird" season so I have been working 12-14 hr days 5 days a week.

The first week was really hard but I did it. My staff are totally awesome and "took care of me" and are still pretty protective of me. In fact, all of them insisted on travelling to Mexicali to "check it out" before I went for surgery (I all ready knew it was a great place) and literally did the white glove check of the place with threats to "tie me down to prevent me from having surgery there" if need be. Well, were they all surprised!! Every single one of them said that they would have surgery with Dr. Aceves in a heartbeat.

Anyway, sorry for rambling and poor grammar. I just got home and need to eat. I feel great, just very tired. I think you will be surprised at how quickly you recover from the sleeve surgery. Please, feel free to PM me if you have more questions. There is someone else here on the boards who lives close to Tucson and she knows of a sleeve support group, I believe. I will ask her if she minds that I pass on her "screen name" to you.

Oh, I almost forgot. You do have lifting restrictions after surgery. That is something you will need to consider when returning to work.

Take care and good luck on your sleeve journey!!!!

Kelly,

I did some extensive research prior to deciding to do the sleeve and I am going with Dr. Aceves. Like you I had many questions and talked with my PCP prior to making my decision. My PCP sent me to my cardiologist ahead of time to get my routine echo but I did not have to do anything other than that. If you do see any other doctor prior to your surgery with Dr. Aceves, than he will want to see any test results that you have. My surgery is scheduled on 3/8 and I am very comfortable with the decision that I have made. I am somewhat apprehensive about follow up care but my PCP is willing to do the 3 month check and if she wasn't than I would be more than willing to go back to Mexicali if need be. The biggest thing is to do alot of research and be comfortable with whatever choice you make but I can say that I am more comfortable with going to Dr. Aceves, than I was choosing a Dr. with alot less experience here in the US.

Just do your research like you are and you will be fine. This forum is a great support system.

thanks ladies for the responses... i feel sure that if and when i have the vsg i will go to dr aceves. i still need to gather more information and determine if the sleeve is the option for me due to my medical condition. i would really love to proceed. i have a bmi of 31.8 so to low for insurance coverage and will be self pay. i do have chronic medical conditions as well. i love that so many have had surgery with dr aceses and rave about his care and the care they received in mexico. as an icu rn for the past 21 years i originally did not think i would consider mexico. the more i read the more i am certain that he would be my choice. if this is to happen, i really have a specific time frame to work with. i need to have the surgery the first week of august. i am blessed with a 4 month old daughter born via a gestational carrier due to infertility problems.... thus i have recently been off of work. we also have a second child due the end of august via a gestational carrier..... so i will need to have the surgery.....give my self two full weeks to recover somewhat.... then be on baby watch. with early leave for surgery and then leave for a new baby i will be off work for about 7 weeks. then will go back to work 1 12 night shift per week for a couple of months. well so that is how my mind is thinking now. if this is how it works out it gives me several months to research and settle in my heart that this is the right decision for me. some may think that at a lower bmi that i should just diet. well that has not worked for me .... at least in the long term. i do not want my children to grow up seeing me struggle with weight. what i lose i gain back. now i need to lose 70 lbs and that seems monumental. i just do not want to fight my weight and grow bigger and bigger every decade. my mom just had the vsg in tucson the first of feb and is doing fabulous. so proud of her!!! so i have a great support system and buddy all in one. i work with several people who have also had the procedure. i guess my medical conditions are my only concern. i wonder if dr aceves will exclude me. time will tell. i guess my first thing to do is wait for the coordinator to contact me and she can answer some of my questions regarding timing, pricing, and criteria. i hope all goes well. love reading and learning from all of you on your journey. thanks for letting me share your experiences. hope hear great reports from all of you. kelly