Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Day 4: Small Cheats...

I'm on day 4 of my two week pre-op diet consisting of 2-3 Protein Shakes a day and one "palm sized meal" of fish, chicke or pork with veggies and very limited fat.

The pre-op diet scared me most, more than surgery and leaks! I must say it does get better each day and it's nice that I've dropped about 4 lbs. Things I'm doing that maybe I shouldn't:

- I feel best in the morning and not hungry, so I don't have a Protein Drink for Breakfast. I hold off until about 11:30 or noon. Then I'm hungry and have the other two around 2:00 and 4:00. Then I white knuckle it to 6:00 and have supper.

- The first night I shoved a handful full of parmesean cheese in my mouth I was so hungry when I walked through the door after work.

- The second day I had a fingerful of Peanut Butter after work - again, just so hungry.

- Last night before bed (I didn't eat before bed the first two nights, went to bed starving) I had a 60 calorie single serve brocoli and cheese mixed with a 50 calorie single serve corn; drizzled olive oil and mrs. dash on it.

- Sometimes I use 2% milk instead of skim milk for the shakes, they just taste so much better! I sampled a lot of Proteins before started and really like the Jay Robb stuff, so I've been using the strawberry and chocolate and also the nectar vanilla torte.

- I'm hoping that this gets easier every day. I'm fine in the morning and after I eat, but 2:00 - 6:00 is just brutal - that's when I get headaches. I can handle stmoach pangs, its the headaches that are hard.

Thanks for listening.

I always cringe when I read these super strict pre-op diet. I didn't have to endure all of that, and only imagine how difficult it must be. Hang in there, and maybe more Water will help curb some of the hunger during those really tough hours.

We're here for you, and will listen and support you through this and your surgery.

I'm with you on the preop diet. At least you get to eat something. I have to be on Clear Liquids for a WEEK. Today is day 2 & I'm seriously dying!! (Not seriously but you know what I mean.) I feel like my head is going to EXPLODE & if I take any more Tylenol I'm going to overdose. This is the worst thing I've EVER had to do. I really hope it does get better each day because I don't know how much more I can take of this. It's like taking cigarettes away from a hard core smoker that smokes the maximum amount of cigarettes a day & giving them Ultra Lights & telling them they can only have 5 a day!! It's just not right!!

BUT I understand why they do it & I will bite my husband's head off before I eat before my surgery. I've wanted this for way too long to cheat now!! The doctor says no then the doctor says no!! I just keep telling myself that I only have 5 more days left & then tomorrow I can say I only have 4 more days left.

This too shall pass......

glogarza,

I too was not perfect in my pre-op phase. I was sleeved on 12/29, and I ate Christmas dinner with my family. I think it is important to be as compliant as you can be pre-operatively, but I empathize with you. I mean I was NEVER good at a diet. I got scared as my surgery got closer that I had "done" my part, and I will tell you my surgeon told my family that I must have done fine because my liver was small and easy for him to navigate around. I guess what I want to say is be strong, and it is OK. Just do the best you can do.

This was day four of my preop diet. I am on all liquids, except Jello, yougart. I have 18 more days to go.... I cheated today,, I was traveling, forgot to take some diet stuff with me, so I pulled into Mickey Ds and got a kids hamburger. I am suppose to be 800-1000 calories a day and max carbs around a 100. I did the math tonight and found I stayed within that, but I feel pretty guilty about the burger.

PREOPDIET sux.

I'm on day 3 and I'm allowed 3-4 shakes a day and Water....So, what I've decided to do is dress these shakes up as best I can...Last night while my husband was drinking a martini I put my shake in a tall daquiri glass with an umbrella. It made me feel like I was joining him with a fun cocktail.

Also, what've I've been doing with the vanilla is add a teaspoon of sugar free orange metamucil and blend with lots of ice. I've convinved myself I'm enjoying a fabulous dreamsicle milk shake. Honestly, the teaspoon of Fiber and all the ice make it very thick and heavy. It really fills me up...There's no way I will be able to do this after surgery....but for now, bottoms up! cheers!