Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Making the switch... One day

I recognize some of you from LBT...I have made my decision, when I go under the knife again, it will not be to fix my lap-band, it will be to swap to the gastric sleeve.

I am self-pay, had a revision after 6 months to fix a flipped port. After that the LB worked beautifully, lost 100lbs in a year, life was great.. got pregnant, had my baby in April and sometime around January of this year my band felt like it disappeared. After costly fills & testing, they now think I have a leak, because everytime they did drawback the saline was gone. (And the weight I am gaining back quickly can attest to that.)

So next week they want me to pay more money to test where the leak is, then do another surgery. I asked for a quote on the surgery and they are quoting me the cost of the original surgery - $15k.

I can't do that. So I am in the midst of researching doctors-- but I know for certain, since I will have to have another surgery, it will not be to fix my band. I've had it 2 years and already facing 3 surgeries. That's not making me feel good about my long-term with it.

That being said, I don't think the band is a bad thing. I hate the situation I'm in, and honestly if my insurance was paying for all this, I wouldn't even care really. But I can't afford to pay $15k for my band every year.

Time for a change.

I don't know when I can afford it, or which doctor to decide on (sounds like the most experienced would be to go to Mexico, which is a whole other issue I am dealing with, with my family.) So I have no timeframe for when it will happen.

:blushing:

I am not against the band either. I am thrilled for those who have had success with it. What scares me though, is there are more and more people like yourself, me and several others here who are starting to have a great deal of problems with them at two and three years out. If you are self pay, like I was, it can be very, very costly between the fills and revisions that are needed. With the sleeve, you have the surgery and that is it, you are done.

I can understand your families concern. Mine was concerned as well. My hubby was okay once he did some research and learned that Mexicali was pretty safe. Plus, he went with me. No way would he have let me go alone. Plus, if you go with a doctor such as Dr. Aceves, their staff (Ernesto) picks you up from the airport and drives you to the hospital for your pre-op tests. Then he drives you to the hotel. We just stayed around the hotel that night because we were so tired, and it was very nice and we felt very safe there. Then, Ernesto picks you up from the hotel and takes you back to the hospital. You remain there until Ernesto takes you back to the airport. So, we felt perfectly comfortable and safe at all times.

Yes, right now I am leaning toward Dr. A, and I am compiling all these stories for them to read. I think my husband is listening, my mom's mind is still closed and she is begging me not to even consider going out of country. She will be the tough one to break, but with all the stories, and I found out last night one of the girls from my LB group (and my family met them in June) had her banding by Dr. A and she has nothing but good things to say. That will definitely help, since when I tell her things I've read she ignores it as 'internet people say whatever they want'.. Which is true, but I've been around the forums long enough to know whose opinions I trust and who I don't know and could be flapping their gums. She doesn't get that though.

The bottom line is, especially since husband is listening, if my mom doesn't get on board (I do my best to listen to her despite being an adult :thumbup: ), I'll just have to do it without her approval. My mind's made up that I am swapping to a sleeve, and Dr. A sounds like a better option than even the US right now, cost factor aside. I have to save up for one way or another, so I'd rather go with what makes ME comfortable.

Personally, I think it's wasted energy to try to convince everyone around me that my decisions are the correct ones for me. All you have to do is go to MX and come back alive and ... voila ... you've won that argument! :thumbup:

Right, that's my bottom line. I am doing it regardless what they think, but I sure would like them to be on board. DH will come around, but I know he said my dad told him last night he needs to talk me out of MX.

So tell them you are going to San Francisco.

They will never be the wiser.

Honestly, I loved Mexicali. Dr. Campos is just adorable and Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos both come to see you in your room 3 times per day.

If you are looking closer to home, I got a quote of $16660 for both band removal and sleeve in TX. I was quoted from Mexico that it would be $5000 for band removal, and another $10,000 for the sleeve.

With that in mind, I don't mind paying $1660 more to have a doctor 15 minutes from my house for my long term care and sanity.

I don't remember what Dr. Aceves price for revision from band to sleeve is. I am positive it's less than $15,000 though. I am thinking it's $11,000. You would have to call the number to the right of the screen. They were running specials during the summer because it's so hot in Mexicali this time of year.

If you want, I have a big long email with all of Dr. Aceves credentials on it that could ease the mind of your family.

I don't remember what Dr. Aceves price for revision from band to sleeve is. I am positive it's less than $15,000 though. I am thinking it's $11,000. You would have to call the number to the right of the screen. They were running specials during the summer because it's so hot in Mexicali this time of year.

If you want, I have a big long email with all of Dr. Aceves credentials on it that could ease the mind of your family.

Good point. I just checked the email, and my quote was from Endobariatrics - Dr. Alvarez. These were the prices, and they had to be 2 surgeries, 5 months apart.

Lap-band removal only $5,000

Revision after healing to VSG $10,500

Last I knew of, Dr. Aceves was $12,000 for a band to sleeve revision. While I understand cost is important, I think experience is even more important. Band to sleeve revision is a bit more complicated, and he has a lot of experience with it.

Just out of curiosity, how would a band-to-sleeve revision be more complicated, as they are generally two separate operations, usually performed with several months between them?

Just out of curiosity, how would a band-to-sleeve revision be more complicated, as they are generally two separate operations, usually performed with several months between them?

My revision was performed in one procedure. I haven't heard of a lot of people having to wait months in between unless it was an emergency band removal, or the patient later decided to have a 2nd procedure.

Yes, I suppose it would depend on the situation. I do know of quite a few people who were required to wait a bit for healing. In my situation (Band to RNY) it was done in one big, ugly operation.

HH

My surgeon prefers to do it as one operation.

I wish i could have had mine done as one operation! Heck they could have just done the c section then too! Would have been so much easier for me!

Mine were two separate....but that was because I was an emergency and was almost 32 weeks pregnant. Guess waht lost the band and became a mom for the 8th time all in about 2 1/2 hours!

I would do it. And all my problems started when I got pregnant too! (had one godd pregnancy...... but never worked right after the m/c before Jordan......or really the correct word would be "never worked the same"