Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I also take 2 children's multi with Iron (my nutritionist wants me to take an adult chewable like I was before surgery, but I told her I had to finish this bottle of children's...they just seem easier to chew). I take 1,200 mg of calcium citrate chewy bites, and based on my pre-op lab work, 10,000 IU's of Vitamin D since I am deficient.

I haven't actually taken all of the Vitamin D since surgery. I take a chewable form of it that gets me to about 3,000 IU's. I bought the Bariatric Advantage Vitamin D that you are supposed to swallow and it should dissolve before hitting your stomach, but I've been too afraid to take it. My goal is to start this next week.

Hi,

I'm just wondering..post op what should I plan to take as far as Vitamins go? Should it just be a multi chewable vitamine or??

Thanks for any help you can give.

I've just started taking Vitamins again as my surgeon (Dr. Aceves) didn't want me to take any vitamins until I was on solid foods. I started about 2 weeks ago and am taking 2 children's gummi multi-vitamins with Iron. Today I am going to start adding in the calcium citrate. Once I get my blood work back, if I am deficient in anything, then I will add in that Vitamin as well.

I would ask your surgeon what he recommends for you post op as every doctor is different.

My husband's surgeon also wants his patients to take additional B12. It is thought that the stomach reduction may cause a need for this. I can't remember the science on it, but somehow the stomach has a role in absorbing or digesting B12. (For example, my friend had cancer and had to have a complete gastrectomy. Because of that she had to go get a B12 shot periodically.)

Edited by kaykay

It's because we have less intrinsic factor so some people have trouble synthesizing B12. However, it's something like 5% who have this issue so my surgeon makes B12 an optional Vitamin unless our labs show a need for it.

I take the pharmaceutical grade supplements I get from womentowomen.com which are specially geared towards pre and post menopausal women. I realize this will not be most of you, but I find them to be very good. They are the size of horse pills though so I have to grind them up and put 'em in a Protein Shake right now. I do not think IMHO that children's Gummy vits have enough of anything in them that is really suitable to women with all our needs. Most on the shelf Vitamins are heat processed and have little nutrient value left in them to do you any good after they sit there for months and months. Just a thought.

AJW

How expensive are these Vitamins and do they not come in a chewable or liquid form? I just went on their website and took the "test". I don't know if I'd be able to afford them. Thanks.

I take the Essential Nutrients ($59) lasts 1 month, and the SoySational, this is a power you mix into a shake,($39.95) I think this lasts a month, and the Herbal Equilibrium ($24.95) lasts 1 months. I take them 2X a day so that's why they last a month. No, these are not liquid or chewable. You have to crush them if you cannot swallow them whole. Here's the information for the Essential Nutrients:

Because rich nutrition is the

foundation of hormonal balance

Our Essential Nutrients™ provide optimal absorption and bioavailability from the purest ingredients. Three essential formulas are combined into a single convenient pack:

• Multivitamin/Mineral
  • Essential Fatty Acids
  • Calcium/Magnesium

In combination, these formulas work to support a healthy metabolism, hormonal balance, and wellness for women by creating an optimal nutritional base.

The benefits of Essential Nutrients

• The same rich nutritional supplement used at Women to Women’s medical clinic.
  • Doctor-formulated, based on the latest nutritional and medical science for women’s health.
  • When used to supplement a healthy eating plan, provides a complete nutritional foundation to support the body’s endocrine, immune, and other vital systems.
  • Over 30 essential nutrients, including six patented chelated compounds to ensure maximum bioavailability, in conservative dosages.
  • Manufactured in a facility validated by the NSF (The Public Health and Safety Company), to meet or exceed all governmental requirements for good manufacturing practices (the FDA’s GMP’s).
  • Each production batch is laboratory assayed to ensure quality — in the same rigorous procedure used for pharmaceutical drugs.
  • Made from all-natural ingredients with no preservatives, sugar, artificial flavoring, filler, dyes or coloring of any kind.

If you would like more information on the clinical basis for using Women to Women Essential Nutrients™, please click here for a list of clinical studies and articles.

AJW

How expensive are these Vitamins and do they not come in a chewable or liquid form? I just went on their website and took the "test". I don't know if I'd be able to afford them. Thanks.

Edited by AJW