Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have spent the last 4 weeks with the most severe back pain of my life. Of course, we overlook the obvious. I thought for certain I was having a heart attack, or kidneys failing, kidney stones or gallbladder issues -- none of which would be out of the question.

My fiancé suggested that perhaps the pain was directly associated with my lap band as the pain started immediately after my last fill. No, I assured him, I am having a heart attack.

Now, I have done a little research and am stunned to find out there are others out there that have experienced the same.

The pain is intensely sharp, like a dagger to my mid back. Much. much worse at night and thankfully, my fiancé CAN seem to massage some of the pain away.

The flatter I lie, the more intense the pain is. I can hardly roll myself out of bed.

I cannot sleep, the pain is THAT intense. It often radiates all the way to my chest.

I don't currently have health insurance so I cannot afford to seek medical help, especially if I will put through a ringer of tests.

Please, please help me if you, too... have experienced this!

Terri

I am so sorry you're dealing this pain.

Unfortunately, you can't diagnose yourself based on what you read on the internet. There could be a whole lot of reasons for your back pain. There is absolutely no way you can no for sure until you see a doctor.

If you honestly feel like you're having a heart attack you need to go to the ER- regardless of insurance. By law, they have to treat you. Not going is putting your life at risk needlessly.

Best wishes.

Sounds completely familiar to me. I had horrible, debilitating referred pain while banded.

It's most likely due to the Phrenic (Vagus) nerves. Do you have saline in your band currently? If you haven't gotten unfilled, I'd recommend doing that as soon as possible.

It truly is NOT uncommon at all. I've talked to hundreds of people over the past 10 years who have experienced this same thing. I'm sorry you're experiencing it, too.

Edited to add: You mentioned your gallbladder, too. You should definitely make sure that it's not gallstones. They also cause referred pain in the area in which you've described.

As a registered nurse, you already know what I'm going to say.

1) Medical conditions cannot be diagnosed via internet. Whether through self diagnosis after reading a few articles or finding posts that describe similar symptoms nor through ignorant people who use their limited knowledge to give medical advice far out of their scope of knowledge, experience and expertise.

2) If you think the symptoms correlate with your fill, than the logical next step is to get an unfill. Just like going to the doctors, you have to eliminate sources of pain/disease/illness etc to find the answer

3) I know you may not have insurance, however, if this is not related to the band and is a medical emergency than you are taking a gamble your life can't afford.

Hi Terri. So sorry you're having such trouble. I totally agree with everyone else- you need to go to the doctor!

I do want to ask- Is the pain constant, or just once and awhile? I've had gas so badly that I felt like I was having a heart attack. I keep GasX with me at all times because the pain is so terrible and it comes on so suddenly that I can't even drive.

You might try that, but GO TO THE DOCTOR, my dear.

Megan

Thanks everyone. I guess I just was so ignorant about it, I just never, ever dreamed it would be related to my lap band but it has to be. I will go and get Fluid taken off ASAP. I'm in Phoenix and went through True Results, The last time I went in to be seen by them I had to wait 6 weeks to get it. I will explain the urgency and hopefully they will get me in ASAP. I am so grateful for your responses.

went thought the very same thing and went to my PCP and they thought it was a heart attack and many other things. Then I called my surgons office and they had me come in and looked at tit with there special machine and it had folded over whent hey removed the Fluid pain gone...always call them first to make sure its not something you added to your body or is it your body they would know more.