Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so confused

:help: I was having some reservations about having the surgery because I'm afraid to be put under. (Bad experience the last time.) Well, Wednesday my boss went in for major surgery something probably considered routine. He had major complications and died today. :cry

Now I'm too terrified to go through with the procedure. I doubt I will be able to go any further with the procedure.

I am sorry you are going through this :eek:

I suppose many people have fear of going under anesthetic, but everyone has to decide for themselves if it is worth the risk. You need to decide for yourself why you wanted the band and how much it is worth to you. I wish you all the best.

I can understand your fear (I too had some fear) BUT ppl don't generally die from being "put under"...they die later from complications...and the lapband surgery is not a complicated one. Depending on the surgery and the related complications that your boss had...this is the reason the death occured. You may not know all the complications that occurred in his case...complications that wouldn't necessarily occur with this surgery.

You'll know when/if the time is right for you...but don't let this one incident scare you away from it.

This surgery not just routine, but none of them really are. All surgery has a margin for successes an failures.

Over the long term though, being overweight carries more complications than the surgery, according to my studies.

I would rather circumvent future serious issues and have the surgery. I sure do understand your fears though. I know some people think I am a fanatic, but here goes. Psalm 139 says all of are days are numbered before anyone of them ever happen. We never know in advance but one thing is for sure, (I had a heart attack). When I was critical and not expected to be around by the morning and had a second surgery in the same nite, second one being exploratory due to internal bleeding that was never figured out, I awakened against overwhelming odds, Thank God. If it was not my turn to go, i just didn't go. Both surgeons were surprised I made it. That made me feel really strange. but that was three years ago and now because of the band, I have lost 50 lbs, Today my cardiologist took me off 3 more prescriptions and now I have only 1 I must take because of the heart stent. 3 years ago I had 13 or 14 different very expensive prescriptions. He was so happy to see me today and had lots of questions about how the band was going for me. He wants to share my successful health changes with other Dr.s and I gave him permission. I cant tell you how amazed I am, and grateful.

Please don't let fear keep you from whats best for you. But please listen to all of your Dr.s and let knowledge guide the way.

I was too terrifed from a previous experience. However, I overcame my fear through much prayer. Also, when I went to meet the hospital staff prior to surgery, I explained very clearly to the anesthologist my fears and concerns and he noted it in my chart. I requested to be sedated prior to the actual rolling down the hall to the OR. I was so relaxed and they may me feel so comfortable. My fears are now gone forever!!!!!! Also, thank about the advancements with technology, it is really amazing! Go for it, and take GOD with you!

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. We have since found out that my boss' death was not caused by the surgery. I never cancelled my next appointment so I will keep going. I have my psych eval on Monday.

Thanks again.

Valerie

That must be a big relief to you. We know there is always a risk for any surgery. That's why they make us sign papers saying we understand that. However, it is pretty slim that anything bad will happen to YOU! You have a pretty big risk by holding on to your weight, too.

I think someone suggested asking the anesthesiologist to heavily sedate you before you go into the OR. If you are very nervous, that sounds like a good idea. I was fine with it. I actually walked into the OR with the nurse holding the IV drip. It actually gave me comfort because the message it sent to me was that there is no reason to be frightened.