Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice on Dr Kuri

I just signed up for the procedure with Dr Kuri. The only thing I am concerned about though is the fact that he uses the original allergen lap band. The nurse told me it is because the new ones have more difficulties and the old one is better. Is this correct?? I found a doctor in Milwaukee that will do fills when I get back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I get banded on May 21.

And are you going out of country? It sounds like he got a close-out special at costco and is pocketing the difference. New bands will cost much more than a discontinued band.

And his claim of fewer problems is only anecdotal since I've never heard such a thing? If it were true, wouldn't Allergen discontinue the new bands and go back to the old ones?

Red flags!

ps..You might tell him you'll pay the difference as you want the newest technology?

The band is either the 4cc or the10 cc he won't know until the surgery... They did tell me it was the original lapband

The band is either the 4cc or the10 cc he won't know until the surgery... They did tell me it was the original lapband

You do not want a 4cc band in your body and should not be an option. The rate of people having their 4cc bands removed due to severe complications is very high. Doctors in the US and UK can't and won't use them anymore.

Look at like this: If a car was proven to be unsafe to drive and outlawed in the US, would you run off to Mexico and get one anyway? Knowing it was unsafe and you were putting your life at risk? It's no different putting unsafe medical equipment in your body.

If I were you I would find a new doctor. Even if he did agree to not use the 4cc band on you I wouldn't want a doctor that's irresponsible enough to use it ever. Just my opinion.

I did some more research and found a Dr Jose Rodruguez through BeLiteWeight this is the info. I got back from Dr. Rod Allergan 10 cm diameter high pressure balloon of 4cc as maximun range of fill I have found will all my research this band helps lapband patients get to goal the easiest and all fill Dr's can fill this particular band. (Jessica- fyi this is the band you have also.) Dr. Rodriguez

Does this band sound like it would be feasible?? Has anyone used Dr Rodriguez???

I did some more research and found a Dr Jose Rodruguez through BeLiteWeight this is the info. I got back from Dr. Rod Allergan 10 cm diameter high pressure balloon of 4cc as maximun range of fill I have found will all my research this band helps lapband patients get to goal the easiest and all fill Dr's can fill this particular band. (Jessica- fyi this is the band you have also.) Dr. Rodriguez

Does this band sound like it would be feasible?? Has anyone used Dr Rodriguez???

If it's a max fill of 4cc then it's a 4cc band. That is the outdated one with all the complications. Saying it helps patients get to goal sooner is crap. It's a smaller band you would feel it sooner however it's also no longer allowed to be used in the US or UK because of the high rate of severe complications.

You need someone who uses the most recent and newest model bands. NOT an outdated and unsafe 4cc band.

Dr. Kuri did my surgery and my local doctor did not see a problem with the 4cc band. I had a good experience with him and his staff and have a friend that was banded by him over 7 years ago and has not suffered any complications.

Dr. Kuri did my surgery and my local doctor did not see a problem with the 4cc band. I had a good experience with him and his staff and have a friend that was banded by him over 7 years ago and has not suffered any complications.

Is your "Local doctor" a bariatrics surgeon or your PCP?

The point here is that using an outdated/discontinued product increases the chances of a failure. I would imagine more than 50% of the 4CC band product experience success, but wouldn't it be safer to use a more reliable product? There's a reason why surgery south of the border is so much cheaper? If a Mexican surgeon has very little exposure to follow-ups, it's quite easy to offer a less effective product since there is little chance a patient will make the trek to have a revision(if that's even possible)?

tmr

Do your homework, there is a reason the FDA has thousands of complaints about the 4cc band and as a result will no longer support it's use in the USA.

The 4cc band is essentially the Pinto of Lap Bands. In case you don't remember Pintos, they were cars that came out and everyone thought they were great- until you exploded in flames if it was ever rear ended. As a result, in 80's Pintos were recalled and discontinued.

I wouldn't go buy a Pinto today just because I can get it cheap. The 4cc band is Pinto of bands.

My local doctor is a bariatric doctor who does my fills. People have complications with the newer bands as well. Just sharing my experience and yes I paid what I could afford and hope I don't have any problems. So far I am losing weight and that was my goal.

I had my surgery in may of 2009. I went to dr kuri in Mexico. I am reading through all of this info about him using the 4cc band (the old one) I have had no problems with this band, but should I be worried even 4 yrs after surgery? It's kind of freaking me out now.

No you shouldn't worry...even though it is an older model it is manufactured brand new as Mexico is not licensed to sell the newer version. There are benefits to older version mainly the fact that it requires fewer fills and can be more effective in weight loss. You should not worry. I am going ahead to Mexico and feel confidant after researching this. I have decided to go with Dr Jose Rodriguez through Beliteweight with Jessica as my facilitator. I am staying in a 4 star Mexican hotel for 2 days, then having surgery on the 22 of May and flying back the next day. I was impressed how in depth their pre medical clearance form was and also with the quick response I get from Jessica about all my questions. Since I have to pay out of pocket , I don't have a choice about whether or not to get it done in Mexico or US.....I have to go with what I can afford.

Thank you so much everyone for all your input on this thread......it was a great help in my decision.

I had my surgery in may of 2009. I went to dr kuri in Mexico. I am reading through all of this info about him using the 4cc band (the old one) I have had no problems with this band' date=' but should I be worried even 4 yrs after surgery? It's kind of freaking me out now.[/quote']

I would just be very careful and be sure to have it checked by a local doctor a couple times a year. If you ever start having heart burn, acid reflux, night cough, pain, and/or suddenly too tight be sure to get checked out right away.

But not everyone has problems with the 4cc band, mind you. Some are fine. It's just that it has a much higher complication rate and it irritates and angers me that doctors trying to make money off us still use it despite knowing the dangers.

Actually it was through research done on Internet and also talking directly to Allergen that led me to make my decision. They didn't lie to me....they gave me the information and then I took it from there to research. Thank you for your advice and best wishes.....I am hopeful for the best outcome!!