Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs. Sleeve

Hello. I am new to this site. I am looking at the different options regarding weight loss surgery. I've been thinking about this for a while now but when I saw my weight today, I am pissed off!

My husband had gastric bypass in January last year. He hasn't had any complications and has lost approx. 100 lbs. I am so very proud of him. As he has been losing weight, I have been gaining. I've gained approx. 30 lbs. over the past year. I am so angry and have no energy. I am getting to the point where I can barely wipe myself after using the bathroom! My current BMI is 36.3%. I take medication for high cholesterol and high blood pressure as well as depression/anxiety and insomnia.

2012 was a rough year for me. I had to have a left neck excision in March (tumor was benign) and then I had to complete my partial hysterectomy in December. Now I am trying to cope with going through "the change" and I am only 37 years old. To make matters worse, I am 15 weeks away from finishing my degree and I was let go from my job of 6 1/2 years on January 2, 2013.

I have tried and failed with Weight Watchers. I've contemplated Jenny Craig and Medi-Fast. I joined the YMCA and basically threw my money away. I have also given Curves a shot.

Any suggestions are welcome and of course very appreciated.

Well, I don't have a lot of advice except to tell you that you certainly have been through a lot, and I'm 38 and it stinks to have all those health issues and lack of energy. I'm exactly in the same boat. My BMI is 38.7. I personally have chosen the band because statistically as presented to me, it is very safe. That was key for me. The weight may not come off as fast as with gastric, but you're not on a sprint here, it's a marathon. And losing it slower is more beneficial to your body.

I'm only a pre-bander so I can't tell ya how well it works, but I can tell you I'm excited I'm doing it and my advice is to find a seminar for the band in your area and get as much information as you can.

Good luck and health to you!!!!

Welcome to the forums!

I can relate with your struggles. I was a year older than you when I got my band and quite honestly, my life was a trainwreck. I was gigantically fat, in constant pain, sleep apnea, borderline high blood pressure, and though not diabetic my blood sugar was running high so it was only a matter of a time before that happened too.

I was originally scheduled for Gastric Bypass but I canceled at the last minute. I just couldn't justify rerouting my intestines and permanently changing my internal organs. Plus, I didn't want to deal with all the dumping and malabsorbtion issues, either. So, I began to research the band a bit more. Being as the band is totally reversible and doesn't permanently change your internal organs, I decided it was the right choice for me.

A year ago, January 6 2012, I had Lap Band surgery. Since then I have lost 176 pounds and I'm still losing. Honestly, it was by far the best decision I've ever made for myself. I've gone from being sofa bound in pain, unable to walk even a couple feet without a cane, to active and walking 2 miles a day unaided with ease. My blood pressure is perfect, my blood sugar is great, and I don't even snore anymore let alone an apnea anymore. Most of all...I am happy.

This is strictly my experience. Best wishes on whichever choice you decide is right for you.

Welcome to the forums!

I can relate with your struggles. I was a year older than you when I got my band and quite honestly' date=' my life was a trainwreck. I was gigantically fat, in constant pain, sleep apnea, borderline high blood pressure, and though not diabetic my blood sugar was running high so it was only a matter of a time before that happened too.

I was originally scheduled for Gastric Bypass but I canceled at the last minute. I just couldn't justify rerouting my intestines and permanently changing my internal organs. Plus, I didn't want to deal with all the dumping and malabsorbtion issues, either. So, I began to research the band a bit more. Being as the band is totally reversible and doesn't permanently change your internal organs, I decided it was the right choice for me.

A year ago, January 6 2012, I had Lap Band surgery. Since then I have lost 176 pounds and I'm still losing. Honestly, it was by far the best decision I've ever made for myself. I've gone from being sofa bound in pain, unable to walk even a couple feet without a cane, to active and walking 2 miles a day unaided with ease. My blood pressure is perfect, my blood sugar is great, and I don't even snore anymore let alone an apnea anymore. Most of all...I am happy.

This is strictly my experience. Best wishes on whichever choice you decide is right for you.[/quote']

Omg... Your story has blown me away! How amazing! I hope you're proud because I am so incredibly proud of you!! How admirable!

Virgo,

I get how you feel. Ditto about 2012 as well - lost my mom, had to put Dad in an Alzheimer's home, blah, blah, blah. I'm glad it's 2013...

I should say I, like many here, have tried every diet in the book. Much short-term successs with no long-term sustainability. I don't know a thing about ths sleeve. My comment are geared for lapband. So...

Having said that, please don't view lap band as the complete answer. I believe it will DEFINITELY help you lose weight if you're truly ready to do so (I'm 3 weeks in and having good results). I do NOT think it will help if you're not emotionally ready for it.

It's great that your husband has been through GB and will certainly be understanding and supportive. Further, folks here will be a big help as well. In the end it really depends on what you can throw at it yourself.

I have had my band for over seven years. It has been an overwhelming success for me. It took awhile for me to learn to slow down and chew my food more. I think that was the hardest part. I lost all of my weight in almost a year and have consistantly worn a size six. I still have to pay attention to what I eat, but do not diet anymore. I don't like to exercise so I do as little as possible when I feel like it. I did not get this surgery so I could diet and exercise more. You have to do a lot of searching and decide which surgery works best with your lifestyle. I discovered I was a volume eater. No emotional issues, I just liked to eat large portions. The band solved that. The reason I liked the band over all of the other surgeries, is it can be adjusted. No other weight loss surgery has this option. It just made sense to me. When you gain weight with the other surgeries what is your option? With the band you just get it adjusted. After 4 years I gained 15 lbs. I got the band adjusted and lost the weight. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I haven't needed any more adjustments. Just make sure you do your research and decide which surgery is best for you. Good luck.

Having said that, please don't view lap band as the complete answer. I believe it will DEFINITELY help you lose weight if you're truly ready to do so (I'm 3 weeks in and having good results). I do NOT think it will help if you're not emotionally ready for it.

^^THIS^^!!!

I wish I could share this quote with everyone considering not just Lap band but any weight loss surgery.

It's SO true!!!

I loved my band. With its help, I had great success losing 100% of my excess weight (90 lbs) in one year, and in maintaining my weight loss for almost 4 more years.

Vertical sleeve gastrectomy is quite new as a stand-alone procedure, and is currently the darling of the bariatric surgery community. It is not without risks. Just the other day I posted about my experience at some length (brevity not being one of my strengths), so I suggest that you click on the link below and read through the comments on that thread, including mine.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/163124-help-guys-band-or-sleeve-im-scheduled-for-band-feb1/

If after reading that thread, you still have questions, let me know. If I can't answer them for you, I can probably send you in the right direction.

And by the way...congratulations on starting your WLS journey. I hope you're as successful as your husband has been with his gastric bypass.

Jean

Well I got my band in November and I wouldn't change a thing about it. I spent a good 6 months before I decided to tell my family my plans. I am 32 and have 2 small boys ages 4&2. I also did this for them because I want to be here for them in the long run. I'm pretty healthy but I have extreme rheumatoid arthritis as well as an auto immune disease on my liver called PBC which only allows me to take prednisone for my RA. Being on it for 5 years was a lot. One year ago I noticed I was gaining weight and it just blew up!! I gained almost 110 in one year from the medications. I never really over ate but I made bad choices!! I had my band done to help me change my life and help with my arthritic pain wich was getting worse!

I chose the band over the sleeve or bypass. The band helps you transform your life slowly so you can adapt and slowly see the transformation. Bypass and sleeve weight loss happens do much faster and it's like you look in the mirror one day and your like "holy crap! Where have I gone!!" And it can be. Shock. No only that but your insides are re routed like plumbing!!! I'm happy watching myself change slowly so I can keep up with it!! A couple people and doctors and staff at first tried to talk me into the bypass or sleeve but it was my decision to make and not there's. especially when there skinny twigs themselves!!!

Today I am 50lbs lighter. And I'm so happy I did it and look forward to seeing how far this journey takes me!! I have more energy and find myself so much more motivated than before!!'

I hope you make the best decision for you no matter what you choose!!! Remember its your life and don't let anyone push you into a procedure that your not 100 %comfy with!!

HI!

OMG we have so much in common! I read your post and thought to myself, now this is me! The only part different is my daughter had Gastric By pass instead of my husband. She had hers almost 2 years ago and has done remarkably well. She has reached her goal weight and has 200#'s!

I was there through thick and thin. I watched her struggle and know how hard it has been for her. She had many problems at first, but soon learned what she needed to do with the "tool" she had been given. I couldn't be more proud of her than I am today!

I myself have struggled with my weight for at least the last 10 years. I too have tried all the "diets" out there. Weight watcher's did work, as long as I was exercising. In two years ago I lost 50#'s, but then it stopped. No matter what I did for a solid month after than, I could not lose an other ounce so that was it for me. I quite, and in the last year I'm back up where I was, maybe heavier.

I am 5'2 and currently weigh 220#s. I am frustrated and know that I have got to do something. I called my daughter and ask fro her help. She enrolled me in a Seminar, guess that's the first step. She said she will be beside me all the way! Thank God!

My concern is if I want the LapBand or the Sleeve. I will have to research this a ton more before I make that decision.

Guess more than anything I wanted you to know that you are not alone. There are a ton of post here that will help you, and if nothing esle give you hope, at least that's how it is for me.

Take Care, and know that there are those that care!

NanaHall

Welcome to the forums!

I can relate with your struggles. I was a year older than you when I got my band and quite honestly, my life was a trainwreck. I was gigantically fat, in constant pain, sleep apnea, borderline high blood pressure, and though not diabetic my blood sugar was running high so it was only a matter of a time before that happened too.

This is strictly my experience. Best wishes on whichever choice you decide is right for you.

This made me SMILE! Congrat's to you! I hope to be at this point in my life next year!

NanaHall