Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starvation Mode is VERY TRYING. Advice?

Hello, all! My my my...this lap band has been quite the journey for me. Not all good...but not all bad. However, now I need a little advice.

I was 302lbs going into surgery in Monterrey, Mexico on February 13, 2006. I loved my doctor and found the surgery easy. I was on liquids for 7 days then mushies for 2 more weeks. At the end of 4 weeks, I was down 10lbs. I knew I was getting in very few calories (around 600-800 per day), so I was rather surprised at the slow loss. I have been ultra-committed to the gym: 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of circuit training...5-6 days a week. I have been quite proud of my new habits: healthy eating and working out.

I went for my fill 4 weeks into this, March 10. My doctor was VERY disappointed with my weight loss of 10lbs. He said I should have lost a minimum of 16lbs. I tried to explain that I had been "perfect" with my eating and working out. He replied, "The scales don't lie."

My first fill was not restrictive enough, but I continued to monitor my eating. I was in this for life, baby! With or without restriction, I was changing my lifestyle. I lost 4 more pounds the next 2 weeks and went for another fill here in Dallas. The second fill did the trick. I feel utterly restricted, and I LOVE IT!. I PB occassionally, but I am quickly learning what works and what doesn't. I have had my second fill for just shy of 2 weeks. I lost another 4 lbs in the first few days of my 2nd fill...putting me down 18lbs. But, I thought, "woowww...I hardly ate ANYTHING to lose those 4 lbs."

Now, the weight loss has not only stopped; it has reversed. I am gaining a pound per day.

I met with a nutritionist acquaintance late last week with my food diary. She was thrilled with my food choices, but VERY concerned about the calorie content. She said UP IT with almost anything I wanted. She preferred I continued on smart Protein choices, but she said that I was so putting myself in starvation mode that I needed calories. Quickly.

She explained that starvation mode was not a line that your body crosses. It is a place to which you arrive after weeks of not eating enough. The same is true when leaving it. It takes time. And, more than likely, your body will gain weight while leaving the starvation mode.

I now add Ensure (250 calories) to my Protein shakes in the morning. I enjoy a glass of wine at night. I am trying to get up over 1000 calories. But, at my size, I believe I should be between 1200 and 1400/day.

I am now back at my pitiful 14lb loss almost 2 mos after surgery ;) I keep reading on this board about all the amazing people losing 30-50lbs in the same amount of time. I feel quite betrayed by my body. I am fat, eating little, and working out very steadily. That should equate to a great weight loss. Ugh. It seems quite unfair to eat a Protein shake, 2 pieces of cheese, and 4 chicken wings and gain a pound.

I have committed to sticking to my new life style: good food choices and working out.

But I would LOVE to hear from anyone else who is dealing with SLOW weight loss due to possible Starvation Mode. Anyone? Any special advice?

Life can be quite unfair, eh? ;)

Best of luck to all!!!

Have you taken your measurements lately? One of the reasons you might not be seeing a weight loss on the scale might be a gain in muscle mass. If you notice your clothes fitting more loosely it is likely muscle gain (you mentioned your gym workouts).

Since my starting weight was more than yours, I can share what the dietician told me. For 2 weeks post-op, a full Fluid diet of 650 cals a day, for weeks 3-5 post-op, a soft diet of 850 cals a day. Starting week 6, a solid diet of 1000-1200 cals a day.

It sounds like you need to be at the 1000-1200 cal a day range but were only taking in half that amount. The only way to truly know if your body is in starvation mode is via bloodwork (acetone level, total Protein level, nitrogen balance, etc.). Since you're exercising, you most likely need the 1200 cals a day.

A "rule of thumb" is it takes 10 cal to maintain a pound. So, for a 300 pound person to continue to weigh 300 pounds they would need to consume 3000 cals a day. Since a pound is 3,500 cals, you would need to eliminate 500 cals a day to lose a pound that week.

Nataly:

I'm right with you! I was banded 2/24/06 and lost 12 pounds over the first weekend. Then, once I started eating mushies, I didn't lose AT ALL for almost 4 weeks. I stayed below 1000 cal/day, made good food choices, got more active, etc., etc., etc., but no movement! I am JUST NOW, at almost 8 weeks, restarting to lose...and it seems to be coinciding with eating MORE! I've been SO hungry and so bummed with the slow loss that I had a weekend of more food...not binge eating, just that meals weren't satisfying so I'd have something more. I don't think I went over about 1200-1300 calories even when I did "indulge", but I had been more at 800-1000 each day.

I do believe that our bodies go into a STARVATION mode, like you described. I also think that some of us just don't lose easily, regardless of the method.

When I was dieting (way back before banding!) I could LITERALLY eat almost nothing and not lose. My husband always said "just cut down". For him, that meant going from 2-3 sandwiches, chips, drink and fruit to only 1 sandwich with the other stuff. For ME, it meant going from 1 sandwich ONLY to 1/2 sandwich. AND I STILL WOULDN'T LOSE AN OUNCE! That's why I was so excited about the possibilities with the band. So there would at least be HOPE of eating less and STILL feeling satisfied and STILL losing weight!

So, I'm re-starting to lose weight now, after a 4 week plateau. And, it's BECAUSE I started eating more. It's bizarre, I know, but it's happening, so I'm not going to complain but just enjoy it!

It DOES make sense that our bodies do that for self-preservation. The first week after my banding, I went through a MASSIVE withdrawal phase....I was weak, sweaty, SICK feeling...and could barely pull myself out of bed. Since I "recovered" from that intial phase, I've been much more satisfied with my meals (although they're small) and I've increased my Water intake and I've been able to choose better foods without the DEPRIVATION mode kicking in. Not to say that chocolate or cake doesn't sound YUMMY at times, but I have a candy bar in my desk at work that has been there now a total of 3 weeks...and it only has 2 small slices out of it. Prior to banding, I would have "heard" that candy bar until I couldn't stand it anymore and ate the whole thing. Now, I can't tell you if it's the band, the fact that I went through "withdrawal", the fact that I've just gotten out of the habit, or what, but it is DEFINITELY different for me now--and I LIKE IT!

I'm discouraged about my weight loss...at 8 weeks I've just now hit the 18# mark, but I'm doing what I'm supposed to and I think it will eventually start coming off faster. I HAVE TO BELIEVE!!!!

So, hang in there. Some of us are slower, but we'll eventually catch up with the others...and if we don't, so be it. We can only do what we can do, right???

You'll get there. I believe you have the right attitude and are doing the right things.

Nanster

Thank you all for your replies and support!

Nanster, I love having someone else in my pity boat ;)

I have done as you have done this weekend: I ate a lot more than normal. And, the results have been fabulous! I dropped those four pounds that I gained. I am now down 18lbs exactly again. Just like you, Nanster! It seems we are traveling a very similar path.

I also joined www.myfooddiary.com this weekend. I've been monitoring every morsel, and I actually hit 1400 calories yesterday! But, it's okay...I lost :D Sooooo...it seems that at times we will need to eat more to lose more. Not necessarily a bad thing, eh?

Best of luck to you all...and Nanster, let's see if we keep on the same road!

Nataly

banded: 2/13/06

302/284/145

I went for my fill 4 weeks into this, March 10. My doctor was VERY disappointed with my weight loss of 10lbs. He said I should have lost a minimum of 16lbs. I tried to explain that I had been "perfect" with my eating and working out. He replied, "The scales don't lie."

Did you pick up the scales and hit him in the head? Of course the damn scales lie, that's all they do.

This is so personal for me. I've been accused of being a lier about my food and my excersize, because I gained 10 pounds in a week at 1000 and only lost 1.5 pounds the month I was at sub 700 calories.

There is a recognized condition called Cushing's, and one symptom is unexplained weight gain, another is the inability to lose weight.

I'm so tired of doctors and everyone else using the scale to beat-up on us. The next time he does this, accuse you of lying, you get pissed off! How dare he do that to you.

Cushing's syndrome/disease is a rather rare condition that is associated with high blood cortisol levels. You can find some information at this site http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/cushings/cushings.htm

If someone suspects they have this condition, they should make an appointment to see their MD and be evaluated ASAP. Most obese people do not suffer from Cushing's syndrome.

You are absolutly correct Elisabeth, most obese people do not have Cushing's. But I have to wonder how many of my Turtle Tribe do. On my Cushing's board we have been discussing this. We wonder if it is so rare only because it is so hard to get a diagnosis.

Because so many people who've had Cushing's for years but were never diagnosed because they didn't "look" like they had it.

Anyway, if you are not losing, and doing everything PUSH for answers. If your doctor doesn't know, don't let him or her push it back on you. Demand answers, and dont let them insult you.

I was banded in August, 2005. I have read with interest your comments regarding "starvation mode". I lost 70 lbs. and have now gained 20 lbs back. I went about 3 months with my band too tight (not being able to eat, throwing up, not even able to drink an entire can of Slim-Fast). After getting so weak, losing my hair, etc. I finally told my doctor. He let out the band "considerably" and now I keep gaining--even though I eat like a bird.

Any additional advice from you banded gals?

I feel your pain. I was banded in March of '06 and have recently put on 10lbs and am exercising like CRAZY!!! My band was deflated entirely for three months and I recently got 2ccs added back into it but am still gaining weight. I work out 6 X a week and don't feel like I look any heavier but am going nuts mentally from the weight gain. I am completely and utterly lost on why I am gaining weight because I am not eating very much and exercise constantly. Any advice on how to get back on track?

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/165/160 :help:

5'8''