Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Checking in!

Holly Bishop
Sign in to follow this  

Hi banisters! Well after two weeks of the liquids and losing 12 pounds, surgery got moved an extra 10 days. So I'm on the 31st!

How are you all doing those of you who had it already? How did you feel the day of? I wanted some feedback because I'm super nervous!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas holiday!

Hey there!

New here -- banded 12/20, so I'm 10 days post op. The surgery went great for me, though there was a little more pain than I had anticipated. The incisions were no biggie at all -- easy peasy. The biggest pain I had was with the gas (from when they fill your body cavity with air to do the surgery) and with my abdominal muscles. I have slept with a heating pad every night since. It's been a LIFESAVER! I had a lot of pain in my left shoulder and chest from the gas. I also noticed a lot of pain the first few days when I needed to burp... it seems the bubbles get trapped where the band is, so it's a little painful, but it's gotten better. Gas-X strips have also been very helpful. Hiccups plain suck. LOL!

I was really surprised to have gone up about 10 lbs after surgery -- but all of it was Water weight. It took a little longer for my system to wake back up, so to speak. But I lost all that water weight within a few days. I've lost 4 lbs since surgery, and haven't moved the last few days. I'm reading up on it and I guess it's normal because your body is trying to heal and it's hanging onto everything. Admittedly, I'm also probably not drinking enough fluids. Gotta get better about that.

The cool thing is that I'm not really hungry! Maybe that's why I haven't been drinking enough. Gosh, I hope the info I shared isn't discouraging at all -- overall, I'm extremely satisfied so far and really excited for the future. I just thought I'd share a few things I wish I would have known.

GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Lisserlou no not discouraging at all! I am 3 days post op. and you described everything perfectly. The gas bubbles the incisions, gas x strips!!!! I am experiencing all of this.

At 10 days how are you feeling? Are you feeling normal yet? On purees?

Today I'm actually feeling GREAT! I still have some pain in the abdomen around where the port is. I still get those gas bubbles, though they're not nearly as painful as they were initially. It feels good to start to feel normal again. I'm still in stretchy pants though -- don't think I'm quite ready for jeans! LOL!

Now I'm on the "full liquid" portion of my diet. I'm finding that everyone has different post-op diet instructions. Kinda wierd. My first week was Clear Liquids only, now I can have full liquids -- though the dietician wants it consisting of 3 protien supplements (I use Premiere Protien shakes. You can find them at Sam's Club and Costco) and 2 Snacks (I have been drinking a lot of Tomato soup). Next week, I move to pureed foods, so then I will get 2 protien shakes and 2 pureed meals each day.

To be honest, I'm really struggling getting in all the food/liquied I'm supposed to eat now. I'm just not that hungry, which is AWESOME in my book! :) I'm usually only getting 2 protien shakes and 2 cups of Soup in, along with whatever liquid I can drink throughout the day. I definitely know I need to drink more.

How are you feeling?? The 2nd and 3rd days for me were kinda rough...