Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 27Th Surgery Date

6 months of classes finished - Final Review finished - Paperwork off to the insurance and Surgery scheduled for Nov 27th. I am looking forward to finally getting this done. My family (husband, mom, mother-in-law, son) are still against me getting this surgery - I hope it is not a big mistake - My BMI is 42.6 but no big health issues yet. I am compromising by having the surgery done at the hospital instead of the surgery center. Good Luck on all the other Nov 2012 Bandsters! - Alicia

HI Alicia

Remember you are having this surgery for you... this is an investment in your health and your future.

I've talked about this here before but I think it's worth repeating for new bandsters. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me.

I’ve been banded just over 6 years and have talked about this here a couple of time but I think it’s worth repeating for new bandsters.

Try and take it one day at a time. Don’t compare yourself to others. Don’t go into this journey saying “I’ll never be able to eat this or that ever again.” I can eat ANYTHING except rice and apple skins and no carbonated beverages. Follow the guidelines given to you by your doctor. Take tiny bites and remember to finish what you have in your mouth before you take your next bite.

When I was losing weight I checked in every month with my family doctor to get weighed and measured. (I don’t own scales) I also attended two coffee groups for people that were banded. These things really kept me motivated and on track. I still check in every month with my family doctor to get weighed-in and I host two coffee groups. For me support from fellow bandsters plays a big part in this journey.

Back when I was banded my doctor suggested something called the “Egg Timer Distraction”. It’s kind of difficult to explain here but I’d be happy to email you the .pdf document. It REALLY helped me with “head hunger. I can’t tell you the number of people in my lapband coffee groups over the years that have said how helpful this “trick” has been in dealing with their head hunger.

Also, I’m not really a “diet” book type person but I recommend you pick up two books.

Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle – by Dr. Michelle May

I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. May speak at a conference when she came to Toronto and her book and guidelines really work well with the lapband journey.

The second book is:

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite – by David L. Kessler

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions and also if you would like a copy of the “Egg Timer Distraction Document”.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell

I just noticed that you too visit Dr. Ray. As you are already aware, he and his staff are the best! Good Luck and congrats

Good luck!