Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Evaluation

So I am meeting with nutritionist and psych on same day this week. I am nervous since I am 1 yr out of an abusive marriage and I was honest about stress and the feeling of depression on the questionnaire. I have never felt any self pitty and I have always tried to remain strong for my 10 yr old daughter. I firmly believe my faith has driven me and the leaving him was the BEST choice for my little one and I. But now I am afraid the psych might say, the lap band is no good for me...someone please advise what the psych eval may consist of...

I am sorry to hear you were in an abusive relationship, but congratulations for getting out. I hope your daughter is okay...

To answer your question, the psych eval, from my experience, consisted of a long questionaire which it sounds like you completed as well, and a face to face meeting where the psychologist asked questions about my life, relationships, views on food, self image, etc. It would seem that they want to be sure that potential lap band patients will be able to commit to the lifestyle changes, are motivated to succeed, and don't have any emotional issues that might prohibit success.

Given what you've been through, it is commendable that you were honest on the questionaire. The truth is, there would be no point in trying to deceive anyone anyway, because the only person that would hurt is you. You want to go into this confident that you are ready to embrace all that the lap band lifestyle requires of you.

I don't think that being in an abusive relationship in and of itself is reason not to be considered for lap band, but not knowing the details of your particular situation and how it may have affected you, I can't say whether or not there are issues that may cause the psychologist to be concerned about your ability to make this big decision and commit to it. Actually, even if I knew the details, I am not qualified to give an opinion one way or the other, so trust the professional. They are looking out for you.

You sound pretty level headed and strong, so hopefully things will work out for you. I wouldn't worry too much because there is nothing you can do to alter the reality of whether you are a good candidate or not. Leave that up to the psychologist and trust that if it is right for you, he or she will approve you, and if it isn't, he or she has the experience and knowledge to be able to make the decision that is in your best interest. Good luck.

I have a story sad but funny. Or maybe I am just a twisted retired teacher. ;) Sometimes you have to just laugh or you will cry.

I asked my Dr about the Psych eval and did he ever have any problems. He said only one time was it serious. This women named Sue came in went through the whole process and got the surgery. But the next day Deb ate a whole chocolate cake Seems Sue wanted the surgery but Deb her dual personality did not .

Dr swears this is a true story so to lighten your fears I repeat it.

Sweetie you survived an abusive marriage you are stronger then you think to be in it and to GET OUT of it. Good LUck