Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Carbs

I've seen a lot of posts about low carb diets. My surgeon said nothing to this effect, other than to get in an appropriate amount of Protein. I have lost weight very successfully without paying any attention to carbs, other than to enjoy them. Can someone shed some light on this? Why the insistence on low carb?

It's the fad of the moment, and that's my honest opinion.

I don't do low carb either. I've lost almost 160 pounds in 9 months eating Pasta, rice, potatoes, and Cereal daily.

Low carb simply isn't realistic for me long term so I choose to count calories, make sure I get all my Protein, restrict my fat intake, but still enjoy my carbs. Obviously, everyone is different and has different needs, but I'm living proof low carb isn't always necessary to successfully lose weight.

I was under the understanding that Protein makes you feel full longer. Carb turns to sugar making you want to eat more, crave more sugar since you burn it off more quickly.

I eat too! Diets make me gain weight. :). You never want/need to much of anything but eat! :)

In my experience, eating carbs contained in processed foods adds calories, little nutritional value, and leads to craving more carbs.

I was so close to a Type II Diabetes diagnosis that my PCP sent me to a training at the local hospital to learn how to eat a healthier diet, and the dietitian stressed the importance of limiting carbs in your diet. Even limiting the carbs contained naturally in fruits, vegetables, and dairy products...way beyond Cereal and Pasta. Brown rice is not a poor choice, but as a complex carb, I need to limit myself to only 1 - 2oz serving a day. Sweet potatoes are allowed, white potatoes are not.

For bariatric purposes, my surgeon has made the distinction between the natural carbs and the added carbs. He advised that we should never eat foods which have sugar added to them. My PCP also recommends a low, natural carb only diet. I have never counted calories, only measured portions, and tried to make a tradition of making healthy choices for meals.

If you are insulin resistant, you need to be aware of carb intake so that you can avoid the extreme blood glucose spikes and falls which are typical with a carb loaded diet. These levels of blood glucose can also contribute to an appetite that is out of control and/or contributes to counterproductive cravings.

It's been fairly easy for me to limit my carbs, and I don't miss them. When I discovered my husband's stash of potato chips in the trunk of his car recently, I laughed and told him he should not be concerned about tempting me to cheat on my diet as I have lost my craving for them.

Everyone is different...and physicians will give their patients varying instructions. For my surgeon, he advises low carbs, and I followed his instructions. You should follow the instructions given to you by your surgeon, and if what you want to do with following your prescribed foods list differs from them, I would have a discussion with them to share your thoughts.

Thanks for all the wonderful information!! The only obesity related condition I had when I was banded was PCOS. Since being banded, I've had two beautiful girls. Given that I've lost weight without super attention to carbs, I'll keep on keeping on!

It's the fad of the moment, and that's my honest opinion.

I don't do low carb either. I've lost almost 160 pounds in 9 months eating Pasta, rice, potatoes, and cereal daily.

Low carb simply isn't realistic for me long term so I choose to count calories, make sure I get all my Protein, restrict my fat intake, but still enjoy my carbs. Obviously, everyone is different and has different needs, but I'm living proof low carb isn't always necessary to successfully lose weight.

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto ditto... ;). I just stick to a specific number of calories and proper portions and I am down 210 lbs in 23 mths