Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inside Tips On Eating

Hi folks,

I want to start off by saying congradulations to everyone who has either made the choice or considering it!

I had my proceedure done in 2006 and since then I have lost 160 lbs. so I thought I would share some of my discoveries with everyone, maybe this can help you out or someone else you know who is having issues. As many of you may or may not know is that Weather does and will effect your band. I found the more hot and humid the air is the less i can eat. I found that consuming something hot before you eat helps, and i did confirm with Dr. Kurian, Hot liquids will make your essopogus relaxed and allow an eaider flow, also helps to drink hot liquids while eating if you are experiencing that clogged sensation, BUT BE CAREFUL!!!

too much can also cause you to throw up. so take small sips! Alcahol is also another that will have same effect but don't recomend drinking carbonated beverages(BEER) that will only end up as a disaster! Another tip for those who love salads , very important, wich i'm sure your nutricianists must have warned you of is Greens will cause bloackage! Cucumbers, celery, roman, iceburge all are killers! for me! Now again this is not to say this will happen to everyone, Each person has similar experences some can eat foods others can't do'nt be a hater just find a alternative of that food you can't eat and make it work for you!

An example I still love pizza!!!!! but to keep a slice down was impossible, so i put my evil genius to work, also helps that i'm a cook too! but what i came up with is this take a ordinary flour tortilla, for those who have one place the tortilla on a pizza stone preheat oven to highest setting, brush light extra virgin olive oil on tortilla , helps makes crispy, palce tortilla on stone if have one if not a baking sheet works as well, let the tortilla bake for about 3-4 minuets take out of oven, let cool for minuet, next add sauce (if you desire) place back in oven and let cook for another 2-3 minuets on highest setting, remove tortilla from oven now you will add your cheese, go easy on cheese! too much will make you throw up. If anyone is from NY and is Familiar with Lombardi's Pizza they were the 1st to introduce us to Pizza there style is slighty different but damn good insread of shredded mozzerella cheese they put grated Parmasian cheese, same as Frank's pizza too . But this is just an alternative worth trying once! ok so obviously the next step would be to put cheese and toppings of your choice again be careful think with your brain not your stomach! I personaly prefer my pizza extra crunchy! and this a good portion size depending on tortilla size of course i usually use a 5 or 8 in, If anyone has any feedback or tips they would like to share please feel free! Again I want to tell everyone CONGRATS! be proud of yourself, yes its a difficult journey, you will get frustrared, you will think you can't do it, but the truth is you can! I am just one of many who are living proof and are here to help all of you who are feeling those feelings. I was so worried i was going to fail when i started i had nobody to help me, but it was either sink or swim, so with alot of hard trials and errors i discovered what i can eat, but more importantly what I loved to eat! I was never a good eater never one for fish or veggies, lived on fast food live by the dog die by the dog, I found that no matter what you do those suckers are never gonna stay down so they are ancient history in my diet, Pasta, instead of heavy noodles i found pastina, or starts, or even alphabets are great replacement, and i can practice my spelling while i eat too LOL! but again folks just some tips that may work for you! Keep the Faith and if anyone needs more help .. all ya gotta do is ask! and my only fee is that i ask you all pass it forward!, meaning were all on this planet together, no mater color or creed we are al in this for the same thing to better ourselves and make this place a better so help someone who needs it because someday you may be the one in need of that help! just something to think about....

Steve, thanks for the great tips, especially the pizza I am deff going to try that, in fact I think its a healthier alternative even if one is not banded.

Oh, I just hope I can eat salads it is one of my favorite foods to eat. Guess time will tell, not looking forward to that part, LOL

Congrats to you on your weight loss as well :)

-Patty

Hi Patty,

It's my pleasure to give advice & tips B) B) B) , Like I siad some people are fortunate enough to be able to eat salads, Try a small amount at 1st and chew it to nothing. The pizza is great, but like I said go easy on mozzarella, try the Old World Sytle with grated cheese over marinara sauce, even if you use pizza dough try glutten free or whole wheat both are available at any Pizzeria, but key to that is make the crust as this as possible stil use the methood i mentioned but in this instance you must poke holes in dough before you put into oven other wise you'll have a giant dough ballon!! bake to your wellness of liking, another trick is Triscuits, I eat ham & cheese on triscuits,Tuna, make them into mini pizza's. Let me know if you would like any recipes! Good Luck and thanks :)