Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band LONG TERM

Hello,

I am still investigating wls and keep thinking about the main issue: LONG TERM. I'm in my early 20s and obviously, the optimal solution for WLS is one that is safe in the long term and can stay for life.

So my question is, have any physicians ever discussed what it would be like to have the band in for another 30+ years? Is it possible? or do we just not know?

Sorry if this is a silly question. Its just that I don't want to be worried that if i get this surgery, one day it will need to be reversed.

Thanks

If you got the band...you will surely lose weight.

Band meant to be perminent, HOWEVER, in worst case scenario a little operation and you can get rid of the band

As simple as that :)

You know, I hear a lot of people saying the band is meant to be permanent. I certainly went into my surgery assuming it would be, barring complications, so I was surprised to read recently in an INAMED publication:

Patients should be advised not to consider their implants lifetime devices.

I have the same concern as I have my lap-band surgery scheduled before my 29th birthday. My doctor has informed me that currently, people with bands for 9 years have been doing fine. There is just no information for anything after 9 years at this point. However, as the previous poster mentioned, if there is a difficulty, the band can be removed.

Just from the experience of the population on this board. I tend to believe ultimately, the device may have to be removed, repaired or replaced eventually and possibly more than once.

It's a personal walk. Why would it be the #1 WLS in places if it wasn't good and lasting.

If I have to have more bands so be it. I just had my second due to a leak. It was more painful and harder for me, but, I'm much smaller and happier. I will continue to enjoy the band and pray that this one will last a life time. If it doesn't, I would have the surgery again. At least thats what I say now.

from what i've read, long-term w/ other surgeries you have a greater chance of nutritional issues... as well as more difficult reversals... so for that reason, the Band makes sense for those in their teens and twenties as they will most likely have to deal with the implications of their surgery for longer. even if the band is only good for you for the next 10 years, and instead of getting a new band you decide upon an RNY, DS, or whatever neat-o operation they come up with in 10 years (or perhaps a medication).... your stomach and intestines will still be intact. if you need to get your band out, it's relatively easy. if you need to have an rny or ds reversed, it's much more complicated.

just think, if they come up with a new operation or even better, a med that works for mo, you have the band removed... and you're ready to go. if you have had an rny or ds and they come up with a new operation or a medication, you may not be elligible for the new operation (due to previous operations or your new anatomy)... or taking the new med may work but you'll still have to deal with the long-term nutritional issues of having had a bypass.

as for the inamed statement, standard medical disclaimer (i worked for a medical device company.)

just my two cents.

If you want to know that it is permanent from day one,do another surgery......this is not going to be permanent.

Tizrak, a lady from Israel, e-mailed me when I asked the same question prior to banding. They have been doing them there for 10+ years, and she said everyone she knows who has had a band for that length of timer has had to have at least one more surgery for some reason...port, slippage, erosion, whatever. So I just plan to work my band the best I can for as long as I have it...and it may be permanent, but I'm not counting on it.

Emily

Where did you find this statement?

You know, I hear a lot of people saying the band is meant to be permanent. I certainly went into my surgery assuming it would be, barring complications, so I was surprised to read recently in an INAMED publication:

Patients should be advised not to consider their implants lifetime devices.

It was in an Inamed publication. I don't remember exactly which one. It was linked to on this board re: diameter of stoma during fills. Search around that topic, I'm sure you'll find it.

Still can't find anything related to that statement. If that is really what the Inamed publication says, than it would contradict A LOT of websites of various wls centers.

It was in an Inamed publication. I don't remember exactly which one. It was linked to on this board re: diameter of stoma during fills. Search around that topic, I'm sure you'll find it.

Here's the document: Product data sheet

Page five, left column, about halfway down. It also states "It is designed to permanently restrict food intake." (page 4, left column).

Inamed may intend for the band to be more behavioral modification device, per "Patients who elect to have this surgery must make the committment to accept significant and permanent changes in their eating habits." (page 4 left column).

It's a little ambiguous. Is the band intended permanently to reduce food intake, or temporarily to change eating behavior. There's a lot of room for interpretation, at least in that particular document.

UGh. Tought thread to see about just being banded. I'm just one day out of surgery and I can't imagine going through this multiple times.

BUT even if you had your band for 10 years (assuming that you need to remove it after that for complications)

Don't you think that 10 years is way more than enough time to lose all the weight you need, and learn, double learn and triple learn the good eating habits, that you can continue being thin without the band.

I guess its a win win situation. Don't worry, be happy