Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Exercise Do You Suggest??

Back story: I started this journey at 216 pounds in July of 2011. Ten months later I am 172.5, (i just had another fill today, 7cc in a 10cc band). I lost the first 38 pounds quickly but have only lost a pound a month since December. I knew i needed another fill, hence today's events, but I also know I need to step up in the exercise department.

Here is the dilemma: My port is located right under my sternum. It is sewed to my abdominal muscles and even ten months out, is still a little sore. If I do any exercises that require twisting and bending at the waist, my port area is sore for the next week. I talked to my surgeon about it and he said it is just part of the deal, the port is sewed and may be with some nerves, causing the sensitivity. I power walk a lot and do some weight lifting, but these are not targeting my middle, where I need the most attention. As for my question, are there any other workout routines or programs that would help my situation, working the middle area without overdoing it and causing port pain for the rest of my life? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Your lower body has much more muscle mass than your torso. Lunges, squats, both with or without weights. Lay on the floor on each side and do side leg lifts, on your back and do leg lifts, on your stomach and do leg lifts to work your glutes. Add small weights to your legs if you can. If you can do 2 or 3 of these for 15 minutes, your heart rate will soar and you be strengthening all your muscles and, this will increase your metabolism for hours afterward.

Go to youtube and look up Squats and lunges for women. There are so many videos to choose from. I find the lunges to be difficult so I use a small chair for balance. I have bad knees so I also have made some small changes to accommodate my bad joints. Good luck.

tmf

Thats a hard one. That seems like an ackward place to have put your port.

I have been doing a whole regiment of ab workouts lately...I'm loosing weight nicely, but it seems to be coming off everywhere but my abdomen.

There are a few exercises I'm doing that might work for you.

1. step ups

find a step in the house and simply put your hands on your hips and step up and down. Hold in your tummy muscles as you do them

2.leg lifts

lie on your side on the floor an lift your leg up and down but don't lower it all the way down. stop about 3 inches before touching the other leg.

3.double leg lift

lie on backplace your hands under the small of your back; then lift both legs together straight uptoward the tv. lower both legs but don't let them touch the floor. hold for 5 count and lift them back up.

All the other one seem to involve some form of twisting or bending at the waist. Hope this helps some.

First up, it is impossible to spot tone your body. I wish that were not true because I would love my stomach area to look better and less pudgy than it does.

The key to success with exercise is finding something that you love and doing it. It also pays to have some variety to prevent boredom and to mix up the intensity.

A typical week of exercise looks like this for me:

• Sunday, 40 - 45km casual bike ride, comfortable pace with large group
  • Monday - 45 minute morning walk, 60 minutes of dancing/dance class
  • Tuesday - weather permitting - 90 minute cycle to work (30km), harder pace, otherwise 45 minute morning walk. 60 minutes lap swimming
  • Wednesday - weather permitting - 90 minute cycle to work (30km), harder pace, otherwise 45 minute morning walk
  • Thursday - 45 minute morning walk
  • Friday - weather permitting - 90 minute cycle to work (30km), harder pace, otherwise 45 minute morning walk. 90+ of energetic dancing (rock n roll) at live venue (NB no drinks/nibbles, just water!)
  • Saturday - 60 minutes housework (No, I don't enjoy it, it's an unfortunate necessity of life!), otherwise this is my rest day.

My port is in the same place yours is. I was banded recently by Dr. Spaw in the same group with your doc. They must like to put the port there for some reason. I'm going to ask him at my appt today. I agree with the folks that suggested leg exercIses to work the lower abs first. My husband and I are going to enlist a personal trainer as soon as I recover a little more and this is one of the first things I'm going to ask about. I'll let you know what the trainer says.

My port is in the same place yours is. I was banded recently by Dr. Spaw in the same group with your doc. They must like to put the port there for some reason. I'm going to ask him at my appt today. I agree with the folks that suggested leg exercIses to work the lower abs first. My husband and I are going to enlist a personal trainer as soon as I recover a little more and this is one of the first things I'm going to ask about. I'll let you know what the trainer says.

How did it go? Did you get all your answers?

I found that Pilates classes are amazing! I go to one that uses the reformers, which are tables that have springs and straps for resistance, strength and stretching exercises. Depending on the instructor, you may find that your workout also is a cardio workout.

After 4 weeks of going twice per week I noticed a difference. A friend of mine has been going for almost a year 1-2 per week. She has dropped two dress sizes using this class and the lap band.

There's a lot of exercise regimen around the globe and I think it depends on what you are really in to. I mean - exercising is a choice and if you don't like the methods you won't really be convinced to do it so I guess it really depends on you. Hope this clears out :-)

Monday-Water aerobics and walk 4 miles

Tuesday-abs on excercise ball weights for waist widdle, arms and chest circuit, stair climber 20 min

Wed-abs, circuit training legs, stair climber 20 min

Thurs-Pilates, walk 4 miles

Friday-Zumba or circuit shoulders, chest

Sat- walk 4 miles or hike , opt swim

Sun-walk 4 miles or abs and stair climb.

Excercise definitely speeds the weight loss I am finally seeing the scales and sizes drop!!!!

weight.png