Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This should make some feel special.

At the seattle splash party this web site was talked about. The name was not said publicly, but what was said it was known by some that it was lapbandtalk.

Id like to thank those that have given several doctors reasons to say "i will never post on another message board again" and " it was the first time and the last time i'll do that".

now it was said that it was only 3-5 "bullies" that acted this way, but that is all it takes.

Id like to also say that there have been other doctors that have only read the boards (not just lapbandtalk) and chose not to post because of what they have seen happen to others.

So the next time a doctor comes on here and tries to offer some insight into something, even if you disagree, try to be a little respectfull about your replys. The doctors can be a big help to us.

Im sure ill get "flamed" for this thread but Its ok. Because I dont care :rolleyes . so flame away.

I agree with you 100% the Dr's deserve respect, you dont have to agree with them but treat them with kindness. They don't need to be here, but to those who are I appreciate them and their advice/medical knowledge.

I can't say I'm surprised - I remember thinking that a doc would have to be crazy to post here after the last big thread blow up.

Perhaps it would help if the Dr didn't start out by insulting people and making racists remarks. *shrugs*

That's the only one I ever spoke out about. And since then I have spoken with him via email and we even had a good chuckle. *shrugs again*

Doctors who are willing to post on this site should be applauded but they should also be preparred to defend their statements. I can honestly say that the doctor who told people to "get over it" should have been prepared for a backlash. I think it's great that any Doctor would consider participating but this is an emotional world full of emotional people and those people have a right to disagree.

They are doctors not Gods and if they choose to enter into a discussion they should be prepared to expect feedback that may not be to their liking.

I dont think I saw anything inappropriate or undeserved in that thread - those statements where pretty darn inflammatory and more than a little stupid.

I agree in principle though that doctors should be treated with respect and that the time they take to help people out should be appreciated. They dont have to post here. I dont think I've ever seen anyone be rude to any other doctor here. That was an unusual situation.

Doctors that make racist statements (i havent seen this) should be ready for a "backlash"

Doctors that make statements like "get over it" need to be a little more respectfull. if i remember right that one sent a email saying he was sorry. and somewhere in that thread re-worded his statement.

But when a Doctor puts a post on here to try give some info on a subject and the thread becomes a heated battle and borderlines on personal attacks on them AND each other, why would they want to come back to even attemp to answer any questions ?

My point is when a doctor trys to do this and is respectfull in his or her post, dont attack them because you dont like what they said or (with all respect to those that have had problems) because your upset that the band went wrong for you, wether it slipped , eroded or what ever the problem may be.

One of the doctors at the party was thinking about joining this board to offer advice and reply to some of our questions. (in his words) "after reading the board for several months and seeing they way some people are treated for trying help, there was no way in hell i was going to" "i can think of better ways to spend my time then getting involved in a internet argument".

This doctor made his choice over a year ago,

so this isnt really something new.

Yes we have every God given right to disagree, but we also have the right to disagree with a little respect.

I'd like to comment on this but I guess I missed all the juicy stuff.... Any one want to point me to the threads where the jaded docs posted?

Is it just me though, or would anyone else speak to their doctor when they want professional advice? I dont come here for that. And whilst I could say anythign I like about my doc here, since I"m in another country, I'm sure people would like to feel they can have a good ol whinge about something their doc has said or done or whatever without feeling we're being watched over by the ranks.

I mean, the gesture of wanting to help out is sure appreciated but this is a forum of members of the general public, not a place to come for professional advice. I think people need this kind of chit chat and real life practical help from one another and they can actually go to their doc for the professional advice.

Hey Kat,

just search forums for "Ortiz" and select the big thread started by Dr. Ortiz himself. Just make sure you have lots of time, 'cause it is a little bit of a read.

Brenda

Any doc who posts advice here is risking legal problems unless they also post a disclaimer that this is THEIR opinon, is not intended as medical advice, and does NOT create a patient/doctor relationship, :blah::blah::blah:.

I have no problems with a doc posting here - I'm not saying that. But the TRUTH is, this is a non-sponsored patient board - not a doctor sponsored patient board.

IF anyone here really, really, really needs a DOCTOR's advice, they need to contact a doctor in real life so that the doctor can give responsible, patient specific advice.

IMHO...

You can not enforce rules about how individuals engage each other especially in an anonymous forum such as this. Whether I agree with what the person say's or how they say it is irrelevant. If you decide to answer my repsonse and tell me what an ass you think I am I have no control over that. I would be foolish to post here and be surprised when that sort of things happen. We all have our own rules of decorum and although they may be similar they are still vastly different. Any Doctor, Lawyer or short order cook should expect that they will get treated in a similar manner. I may disagree with someone and I may not approve of their approach but I cannot define the rules for anyone but myself.