Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch Packing Symptms??!

Here is my problem…I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion. I have

1.25cc in the smaller inamed band. I eat breakfast-egg whites or

oatmeal. I eat lunch-usually Protein & salad. Within a few hours of

eating lunch I find I'm feeling hungry. (I drink 1-2litres of Water

daily) Here is the thing that is worrying me. I can eat a BIG amount

of baby spinach and a whole chicken breast with no problem for

dinner. I think I'm eating more than I should. It's good healthy

bandster foods, but not typical bandster portions. Think I'm pouch

packing ?? How would I know if I am or not? After I eat dinner, I

still feel like I could eat more. And I still feel hungry afterwards.

I have managed to maintain like this and my weight is pretty steady.

But I feel like I'm struggling. Should I assume now 3 years out, that

this is it? Previously at 1.5cc I've been good, but the last time, I

had some pb'ing and by insulting my stomach, it threw in acid reflux.

So I got a defill. Now I am afraid to go to 1.5cc for fear of

reflux /pb'ing coming back. Yet I don't think I should be feeling

this hunger so quickly after eating a good, bigger than average

portion of food. Any thoughts out there?? I'm thinking of trying a

fill to 1.5 and seeing how that goes...hunger wise.

Thanks

I told my doc the same thing when I got filled this week. At night, I feel like I can eat more than I should. He assured me that this was normal because the band loosens up at night. So... this is another reason why I try to stick to my rule of no eating after 6PM because I already know I can "pack it in".

Hi There!

No, I don't drink with my meals. I've been good with that!! I wait an hour-hour and a half before I start drinking.

I think I'm gonna try a little fill! I'm scared to...but I have to try again!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for success this time. Be sure to baby yourself with liquids after your fill. *laughs* Listen to me, I haven't even had a fill yet! See how much ya learn from all the people here? That, and I'm such a mom! :)

Let us know how the fill works out for you.

And by the way, 150 pounds lost. That is absolutely wonderful! How did your skin do? I'm worried about looking all wrinkly and old. Yikes!

What a great weight loss! Yes, I would try a little fill, you know you don't have to go clear up to 1.5, go 1.3 or 1.4 and see how that does. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

I would definetly get another fill. Have a Protein Shake for Breakfast and concentrate on meats at lunch and dinner. Your stomach muscles may have adjusted to the fill you have now. Follow your instructions after your fill. 3 days liquids then soft foods then progress to solids. If you have problems the first couple of days after your fill go back to your dr. for an unfill. I am sure that a small amount more will make a whole lot of a difference.:)

Wow, Gypsy girl, you done great!! I'm in a VERY similar place as you right now, and just last night I was thinking after dinner: hmmmm, that was a lot, wasn't it? But I don't really think it was.

One thing I'm 99% positive happens, over time, is that our esophagus loses some sensation. So you might not even really know if you're pouch packing, which makes it all the more important to be careful. If you do go in for a fill, will you get a fluoro? That can tell you if your pouch is distended.

I wouldn't worry about the baby spinach, because that really scrunches down to almost nothing. But I've been able to eat a whole chicken thigh in a disturbingly short time, with no discomfort or warning signals at all. (Speed is my demon, unfortunately.) So I can totally understand your concern about the breast.

Please let us know what you decide. I'm thinking of going for another adjustment sometime...well, sometime. I'll be very interested to hear your experience with it. Good luck!!

:) Hi All!

Thank you for all the wonderful responses. Yup, even when I was really tight and could only have a Protein shake for breakfast, drink my coffee slowly in the morning…by the evening, any food went down too well!

Christi, I also do not eat anything past 7pm. I only allow myself Water, herbal tea or a cup a Soup. Yes, I can amazingly “pack it in” in the evenings.

Susan, first of all congrats on your recent banding and branding! Your doing really well and it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and know this is gonna be it! Yes sis, only liquids for 48 hours after a fill (according to my doc). My tummy usually gets quite pissed off at me when I try to strangle it with my little friend, but I’m going to take it slowly. Slowly is key I think. I don’t think I’m much more wrinkly than I already was! My goal initially was anything starting with a “1”…now my goal is a normal bmi. After losing -150lbs I’m still considered overweight. Grrrrr! I am thinking about a Tummy Tuck, but I think I look pretty good when I dressed!! Boise! I’ve corresponded with Dan Lester from Boise...he was a great success, darn it at 60! It’s never too late right?!

Thanks Betty…good idea…going slowly. One thing I’ve learned about banding, slow and steady is the best way!

Thanks Lourdes….yes, the first 2 years I was banded I pretty well had a Protein Shake every morning. That is all I could manage to get down and stay down! I am psyched now to get that fill. Damn, I’ve only got 15-20lbs to go to a normal bmi…and for the last year, I’ve been on a plateau!

Hi Alexander…I actually went for a fluoro in December with this last fill and doc said all was looking good. YUP! Speed is my demon too!! I notice I eat WAY slower than “regular, normal people” but I still eat too fast for a bandster, thus when I’m a little tighter, I start pb’ing because I haven’t chewed enough. Yeah, I have no discomfort or warning signals now at all and I’m feeling a little out of control. I mean I’m maintaining ok, but if I do end up having a few crackers more than necessary BAM, I’m up 5lbs in a week. Although I can lose it in the following week, I have to keep a VERY close eye on it weekly.

I’ve made an appt. for the fill March 2nd. I will try a little slowly and remember to slow down when I eat. See guys, 3 years out, and I’m learning and relearning all the time! I’m hoping if I can get the fill to the point where I don’t feel the hunger as often, I won’t want to eat as often or as much. Will keep you updated!

Thanks everyone! Happy Weekend!

:hungry::);)

:) Boise! I’ve corresponded with Dan Lester from Boise...he was a great success, darn it at 60! It’s never too late right?!

OMG! I have seen his website and was blown away. The guy even had a tummy tuck! Now there's a man who plans on getting the most out of life - even at 60! I have been thinking about contacting him to find out if there is a local group that meets or whatever.

I'm so happy for your success. I was looking at some figures my husband did for me last night, my BMI will be normal when I weigh between 130-140. I have a long way to go before I'm even just overweight. I don't think I've ever wished a year away like I am this one. The days can't go by fast enough!

Well, I'm off to read your blog now! TTFN ;)

-----------------------------------------------------

I only made it to the top of the page and I'm already saying WOAH! Look at that pic. I love the way you did the progression! Ok, you are officially my hero of the day! *big smiles*

-----------------------------------------------------

Ok, I've just spent a ton of time reading your blog. What great info you have in there. I think I'm more prepared for those fills now - I really learned a lot from that, thanks. And you're a wonderful inspiration. What a trooper! *hugs*

OMG! Hero of the day! You've made my day! ;) Thanks so much! It's been a battle, as you see my blog is a quite the long read. I'm so very happy I could be of any help to anyone out there who is thinking about it or is just newly banded. If I can help anyone out, all the better. I love my "little friend". I'd have never been able to lose this much weight and keep it off on my own. It is has saved my life. To live!

Please keep us posted about your highs and lows. It's how we learn anything in life right? Good and bad is in everything, even the band!

Here's to the elusive "Sweet Spot" for you and me! :teeth: :) Hugs to you too!