Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Addicted to coffee drinks....HELP with lower-cal alternatives, please!

Hello! I was banded on May 6, 2011. My problem is that I am addicted to coffee drinks... Mostly iced coffee with an occasional SB java chip lite frappucino. I haven't done the liquid calories since my surgery b/c my doctor is adament about it, but I miss my coffee! Are there any lower calorie alternatives? I just can't drink coffee or iced coffee black. And my doctor doesn't want me drinking milk b/c it's "liquid calories" so the skinny lattes are out too, if I follow his rules to the letter.

Any ideas out there? I do admit that during my liquid phase after my first fill, I got a grande skinny caramel macchiato from SB (160 calories, I think) but I added it to my daily calorie total...still, I know there wasn't a whole lot of Protein in it...so maybe I didn't do so hot....

Hello! I was banded on May 6, 2011. My problem is that I am addicted to coffee drinks... Mostly iced coffee with an occasional SB java chip lite frappucino. I haven't done the liquid calories since my surgery b/c my doctor is adament about it, but I miss my coffee! Are there any lower calorie alternatives? I just can't drink coffee or iced coffee black. And my doctor doesn't want me drinking milk b/c it's "liquid calories" so the skinny lattes are out too, if I follow his rules to the letter.

Any ideas out there? I do admit that during my liquid phase after my first fill, I got a grande skinny caramel macchiato from SB (160 calories, I think) but I added it to my daily calorie total...still, I know there wasn't a whole lot of Protein in it...so maybe I didn't do so hot....

You need sugar free flavored syrups! Check out Torani or DaVinci brands. They've got tons of flavors, add no calories to the drink, and are sweet (I think both brands use Splenda). A splash of fat-free Creamer or half-and-half and you've got a very low cal, tasty iced coffee. :)

Thanks! I'll give it a try. My Keurig is missing me!!!!!

Yeah... my surgeon says no coffee post-band, at most one a day. So I went from using my Keurig soo many times a day to just using it for hot Water for tea!

Major fan of all frozen coffee drink like the mocha cafes from McD's so I will be watching this thread with fingers crossed Funny, I do not drink regular coffee but every afternoon I wanted a frozen coffee drink, so missing them 2. I did see one on here a few weeks back and I kept, here it is: LET ME KNOW! :P

1 scoop Protein powder, vanilla or chocolate flavor (I like nectar Sweets,

personally)

1 tsp instant coffee granules

1 cup to 1-1/2 cups cold skim milk or Water (milk adds more Protein, but water

works, too)

1 tbsp flavored liquid or powdered coffee creamer, sugar free

Ziz it all together in a blender, magic bullet, or with a shaker bottle. Drink

it as is or served over ice.

For a decadent treat, top with SF whipped cream ~ heaven!

Any ideas out there? I do admit that during my liquid phase after my first fill, I got a grande skinny caramel macchiato from SB (160 calories, I think) but I added it to my daily calorie total...still, I know there wasn't a whole lot of protein in it...so maybe I didn't do so hot....

I love coffee and while on my pre op protien shake phase I came up with using my chocolate shake mix, Water, 1 starbucks Via instant coffee, 2 spenda. Blended with ice. Its my lapband frappichino! I love it and still have it for Breakfast most mornings. I use chike protien powder, which was reccomened by my dr. I loved the taste of the chocolate and banana powders. 190 cals, 28 grams of protien.

I like my coffee drinks also. I started getting the EAS Adventage Protein Shakes, the Cafe Caramel kind. It has helped me quite a bit, and only has 110 calories and 17 grams of Protein, and the taste is actually pretty good.

I have a skinny hazelnut latte from SB with a scoop of Protein Powder (they have Protein powder at SB). My band is tight in the mornings and that way I get my protein. I too hate black coffee!

I did not KNOW that they have Protein powder at SB!!! Wow! I am going to ask for this for sure! That's awesome. I am 'tighter' in the morning, although I have only had one fill so I am not quite limited ONLY to liquids; just to really soft stuff in the mornings so far!

Tammy Dawn, Welcome. I love coffee also. I have used SB via coffee mix in my Protein Drinks. I also use almond milk in place of milk. It only has 35 calories and makes me feel like I have the milk.

I have read about people who get two scoops of Protein powder. There is only 30 calories per scoop and it really ups your protein. If you get skinny lattes they use sugar free Syrup and skim milk.

Personally, I'd work on liking plain brewed coffee - you really need to give up the need for constant sweetness, there's lots of experts that believe artificial sweeteners have the same effects on your body as the real thing anyway, but even so, its just plain easier if you're able to just drink plain things - plain coffee, plain Water. It takes a few weeks to get the taste but it's a relatively easy transition.

I discovered a coffee Protein Drink. It is called CLICK. They carry it on Amazon and at The Vitamin Shoppe. I went to one in town and got it. I love it. It only has 15 grams of Protein and 120 calories, but it is something I can drink when I get up in the morning. It is good hot or cold, but I prefer cold. It mixes well in a shaker and comes out thick like a frappucino for SB.

This is my version of a Frappicinno:

1 scoop chocolate or vanilla Protein Powder. ( I llike Designer whey because it only has 2 g carb)

1 c skim milk

1/2 pack of individual Starbucks Caramel flavored instant coffee

Crushed Ice

Whip it up in your bullet and enjoy! I have this every morning for Breakfast.

smiley-love013.gif