Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with Fills and confused

I had lap band surgery February 28, 2011. I have lost about 25 lbs. since surgery. I went in for my third fill 2weeks ago. The doctor put in 1 cc at first, but that was too much--I couldn't even swallow Water. He took out .6cc immediately. The doctor seems to think that I am close to the "green zone". So I have 5.4cc in my band now (not sure if it is a 10cc or 14cc band). Point is.....I was really hopeful after this fill. I was feeling good restriction at first. I could feel liquids going down, and I was losing weight. I lost approximately 5 lbs the first week. Now I know that most of that weight was water weight and can be contributed to having absolutely nothing in my stomach for a few days. My doctor puts me on Clear Liquids for a day and then full liquids for 2 days after fills. But now, 2 weeks later, I feel nothing! I do have to chew my foods better than before and eat more slowly. If I don't I can feel the food get a little stuck before it passes all the way through the band. This week I have been gaining and losing the same 3 lbs. I am super frustrated and just need a little support. I am eating healthy (for me that is a low carb/ high Protein diet). I was hoping that I would be closer to the "sweet spot" by now. Anyone have similar stories that ended well. Once I get good restriction, will the weight come off more consistently?

Thanks in advance :)

How do you feel after you eat? How long are you satisfied for?

I feel pretty satisfied after I eat. I am probably not 'really" hungry for about 3 hours after I eat. I am eating a low carb diet. So for lunch today, I had about 1 cup of chicken salad on a bed of fresh spinach leaves. I definitely could have eaten more, but chose not to :)

I feel pretty satisfied after I eat. I am probably not 'really" hungry for about 3 hours after I eat. I am eating a low carb diet. So for lunch today, I had about 1 cup of chicken salad on a bed of fresh spinach leaves. I definitely could have eaten more, but chose not to :)

It sounds like your doing pretty good to me!!! Just be patient. I had my surgery in December and I beginning to doubt this "sweet spot" idea. I have a sweet spot for a while but then it disappears and I need another fill. All together I've lost 56lbs and am half way to my goal.

I had the same thing happen to me with the loose 3lbs. gain 3lbs. I upped my Water intake to at least 100 oz. a day (from around 64oz.) and it worked!

From personal experience, I believe you are darn close to where you want to be...you are probably only 0.25-0.5ml away. Try hard to not be frustated even though I know it is difficult. Make haste slowly now and you will be happier in the long run. If you are tired of "dieting" decide on a temporary plateau and go on maintenance for a couple of weeks...til you can get another adjustment. Allow yourself to understand your hunger as it is now and keep up or increase your exercise.

Good luck and keep posting.

Mimi

It sounds to me like you just need a tiny top-off to your fill. If you're satisfied for 3 hours, and the "green zone" is 4-5 hours, you're almost there! Congratulations!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. That is exactly what I need right now :)

I hope you guys are right about being close to my sweet spot. I go back to the doctor (for hopefully another fill) in about 2 weeks.

hang in there.i can't comment onthat sweet spot.i think i was close too it but had a weekend of emesis lost 11lbs than had to have all my Fluid removed because of tilting.i had to wait 6 weeks i now have 1 more week before my fill.oh what a journey.

I had lap band surgery February 28, 2011. I have lost about 25 lbs. since surgery. I went in for my third fill 2weeks ago. The doctor put in 1 cc at first, but that was too much--I couldn't even swallow Water. He took out .6cc immediately. The doctor seems to think that I am close to the "green zone". So I have 5.4cc in my band now (not sure if it is a 10cc or 14cc band). Point is.....I was really hopeful after this fill. I was feeling good restriction at first. I could feel liquids going down, and I was losing weight. I lost approximately 5 lbs the first week. Now I know that most of that weight was water weight and can be contributed to having absolutely nothing in my stomach for a few days. My doctor puts me on Clear Liquids for a day and then full liquids for 2 days after fills. But now, 2 weeks later, I feel nothing! I do have to chew my foods better than before and eat more slowly. If I don't I can feel the food get a little stuck before it passes all the way through the band. This week I have been gaining and losing the same 3 lbs. I am super frustrated and just need a little support. I am eating healthy (for me that is a low carb/ high Protein diet). I was hoping that I would be closer to the "sweet spot" by now. Anyone have similar stories that ended well. Once I get good restriction, will the weight come off more consistently?

Thanks in advance :)

I had my surgery in April 2010. I did not feel restriction after surgery. Over the next few months I had several fills. Still no restriction.

Frustrated but not willing to give up, I continued to make appointments with the Dr. He suggested I go on a diet?! Talking to his nurse

I was his first and only "failure". I started at 285. Xmas time I was at 250 never going below that number. I started gaining weight in 2011.

I had an Upper GI to make sure the band was in its proper place. I was almost at maximum fill. I think the number was 10.5 or 11. I was

so aggravated and depressed. Still wanting answers, I made another appointment on May 13, 2011. The Dr. decided to do another

Upper GI at which time he would be there filling the band wanting to see if he could completely close it. I was doubtful but willing to try

anything. I knew the minute the band had completely sealed off my stomach. A very strange feeling. He removed some of the saline

and sent me on my way. In the last 2 weeks I have lost 12 lbs. For the first time in a year, I am experiencing what all the other patients

feel after fills. Up to this time, I could eat anything and everything with no restrictions and feeling like I would be obese for the rest of my life.

I still have a long way to go and not sure if there will be any future fills or if I am at my limit.

All I can say to you is don't settle. If you are not happy with the results keep going back.

I had my surgery in April 2010. I did not feel restriction after surgery. Over the next few months I had several fills. Still no restriction.

Frustrated but not willing to give up, I continued to make appointments with the Dr. He suggested I go on a diet?! Talking to his nurse

I was his first and only "failure". I started at 285. Xmas time I was at 250 never going below that number. I started gaining weight in 2011.

I had an Upper GI to make sure the band was in its proper place. I was almost at maximum fill. I think the number was 10.5 or 11. I was

so aggravated and depressed. Still wanting answers, I made another appointment on May 13, 2011. The Dr. decided to do another

Upper GI at which time he would be there filling the band wanting to see if he could completely close it. I was doubtful but willing to try

anything. I knew the minute the band had completely sealed off my stomach. A very strange feeling. He removed some of the saline

and sent me on my way. In the last 2 weeks I have lost 12 lbs. For the first time in a year, I am experiencing what all the other patients

feel after fills. Up to this time, I could eat anything and everything with no restrictions and feeling like I would be obese for the rest of my life.

I still have a long way to go and not sure if there will be any future fills or if I am at my limit.

All I can say to you is don't settle. If you are not happy with the results keep going back.

It is very encouraging to hear your story. I am afraid that it will be my case too. I do not feel ANYTHING at all. I do not feel any restriction whatsoever. I am very afraid that I will be pointed at in the Doctor's office for being the patient that does not loose weight. I have the Large AP 14cc capacity band. It was filled with 5cc during surgery; then 1cc; then 1.5cc; and the last one 1.0cc for a Total of 8.5., and I do not feel any restriction whatsoever. But just like you I keep on going back for more fills, and try to get an appointment every two weeks. I am just praying to God that this is not a failure to me because I have spent a lot of money on this surgery and my husband was not agreeing with me AT ALL on me getting this surgery. If this fails, then I am going to have to hear him telling me "I told you so".

It is very encouraging to hear your story. I am afraid that it will be my case too. I do not feel ANYTHING at all. I do not feel any restriction whatsoever. I am very afraid that I will be pointed at in the Doctor's office for being the patient that does not loose weight. I have the Large AP 14cc capacity band. It was filled with 5cc during surgery; then 1cc; then 1.5cc; and the last one 1.0cc for a Total of 8.5., and I do not feel any restriction whatsoever. But just like you I keep on going back for more fills, and try to get an appointment every two weeks. I am just praying to God that this is not a failure to me because I have spent a lot of money on this surgery and my husband was not agreeing with me AT ALL on me getting this surgery. If this fails, then I am going to have to hear him telling me "I told you so".

Lashmi keep the faith and keep going back to the doctor. We are not the lucky ones who feel restricted at the first fill. I was willing to go back into

surgery and replace the band if necessary. That is how badly I wanted this to work. I think it finally worked for me on the 8th fill. Not textbook by any

means. There has to be a point where it works. My doctor had me sit in his office for an hour after the larger fills and drink lots of Water to be sure

I wasn't going to be in trouble when I got home. I am glad to know there are others out there experiencing slower results.