Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap Band-worries

I am seriously considering Lap Band surgery. I am worried about a few things. I know what the information says but I am still concerned about not being able to manage my hunger and feeling hungry all the time. My other concern is how hard it might be when eating at freinds/families. Even on my current diet it is always much easier to follow through at home. I would appreciate any comments.

It's really different for every person. I can't say how the band will affect you. For me, I eat normally, but I eat less. I can eat ANYTHING, any type of food. I don't get sick, I haven't thrown up. I don't eat pencil eraser size bites. Generally if you are getting sick all the time, it's because your band is too full. (some people prefer it that way I guess?) but some bodies just have trouble with certain foods. If you are really scared, just have Soup or something when you go out. Or eat things you know you are comfortable with.

Overall it IS much easier to eat at home, restaurant food is terrible for you. I'm discovering that more and more. As with any diet though, go find a meal at any restaurant that's 400 calories or less... you won't really find one.

The lapband is there to control you hunger. When you get fills it prevents the hunger hormone from being released. So generally you don't have much appetite ever. It's not there to control what you eat. That will always be up to you.

I was banded 1/11/11 and I pretty much avoided eating out for a month or two because you're really learning what you can eat and what you can't. By can't I mean some foods can give you trouble especially if you take too big of a bit or swallow too fast. When you're out and visiting, it's easy to not be mindful of what you're putting in your mouth. I've only told my immediate family and one friend who lives in another state because it's really non of anybody's business. People who don't struggle with weight are sometimes very judgemental and just don't get why you can't simply eat less and exercise more!

I am not hungry all the time but that doesn't mean your "head hunger" stops. Let's face it, your eating/food issues don't just disappear when you have surgery. You still have to make good decisions and work at it. The band for me just makes it easier. I feel like I have more control than I had before so it's a little easier to make good food choices and portion sizes. When you do go out with friends/family, pick something you know you won't have trouble with. For me, that is Soup, cup of chili or a small salad. I can't do bread so sandwiches are simply out unless I just eat the meat/cheese. If bread is crisp, I tolerate it better but you just have to be mindful of bite size and chewing well. This is all a new learned behavior but it's SO WORTH IT!!!!

An important thing to remember/realize is that you're not going to get relief from your constant hunger the second you have surgery. We get the band in, and then we wait and heal. We start to get fills, but for MOST of us it takes a while and a few fills to curb that hunger. So yes, it'll help your real hunger, but not immediately.

As for eating out... I've only done it a few times so far, but it's been fine. If I can't find anything else I'll get Soup. Mexican places are good because it's easy to get a meal that is primarily meat and veggies, and Beans instead of rice. If I'm at a lunch place or a diner type restaurant, I get tuna or chicken salad on a salad instead of on bread. Oh and I don't order a drink. The waitresses get confused. laugh.gif

The biggest key, for me, to eating out is controlling your portion. I eat 1/3 of the item (or 1/2 if it's "small") and then put the rest away. It's nice to have it for lunch the next day, sometimes I even stretch it to cover the next lunch AND dinner.

I am seriously considering Lap Band surgery. I am worried about a few things. I know what the information says but I am still concerned about not being able to manage my hunger and feeling hungry all the time. My other concern is how hard it might be when eating at freinds/families. Even on my current diet it is always much easier to follow through at home. I would appreciate any comments.

This is a big decision. It's great that you are asking these questions. I'm a long-term lap band patient. Here are 2 articles that may help you. They are part of my 5 year lap band journey. The first is about eating with friends and family -it's an article and video. The second deals with hunger and all my failed attempts at weight loss - I call it Hungry No More. My biggest question was would I be HUNGRY, which is something I struggled with all my life. I hope some of this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you every one for your responses. I appreciate that you have taken the time to respond.

This is a big decision. It's great that you are asking these questions. I'm a long-term lap band patient. Here are 2 articles that may help you. They are part of my 5 year lap band journey. The first is about eating with friends and family -it's an article and video. The second deals with hunger and all my failed attempts at weight loss - I call it Hungry No More. My biggest question was would I be HUNGRY, which is something I struggled with all my life. I hope some of this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

I have explored this website and ordered the book. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival!