Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking before surgery

I am a smoker. Since making the decision to get banded I have tried to quit cold turkey. That didn't work so I started back up but cut back, instead of a pack a day I smoke 1/2 pack per day. This has been since about 3 weeks ago. Today I am ready to quit once and for all! I have a plan and I am sticking to it. The problem is my surgery is 3 weeks away! My surgeon recommends 6 weeks of being smoke free. Should I reschedule my surgery? Is 3 weeks long enough?

Please help!

Thanks!

It'll be fine. I didn't quit before or after.

my doctor said that the only complication he had had during surgery was when a man sneaked a cigarette right before surgery and he stopped breathing (they revived him). said it was a complication with the anesthesia and smoking right beforehand. i think this was unusual but you should discuss with your dr and let him know to make sure. and cold turkey is pretty tough, maybe try doing Patches.< /p>

Im a smoker 1 pack a day..I was searching all over the place on the forums to get a little comfort from others that DO smoke and have NOT quit before surgery..I was terrified something would go wrong if I did not quit..I was on a 10 day liquid diet before my surgery, and that was hard enough, there was no way i could get rid of both of my pleasures..smoking and eating..so i worked on the eating part and lost 18 lbs before surgery..my Doc did NOT require his patients to quit smoking before surgery, he did recommend it, but did not demand it..i just told the anasteologist (sp) that i was a smokier (and yes i had a few that morning before i had surgery) and he said he would give me something in my IV to help with any coughing i would have..I had a great surgery experience, I know smoking is totally bad for u, but like i said, I could not give up both eating and smoking before hand..Just try to research all u can and make ur mind at ease, that is what i did..Im all for peoople trying to quit..i do plan on trying to also, but i was not that stong at surgery time..I wish u all the luck in the world with your surgery, and dont let people on these forums freak you out with their comments about smoking (usually the ones that have bad things to say about smoking are NOT smokers and do not know how it is for the ones that do) :)

The reason my surgeon gave for quitting was that smokers have reduced wound healing. My surgeon didn't require that I quit prior to surgery and I smoked right up to the night before. As I did before and after others surgeries with no healing problems. However with the Lap Band surgery I also had hiatal hernia repair and after the surgery my diaphragm was so weak I could barely draw in enough breath to speak a couple words, full sentences were impossible and even walking across the room left me breathless. There was absolutley no physical way for me to draw in air the way you need to to inhale cigarette smoke. This lasted at least 5 days, it was a blessing because thanks to that experience the 30th of this month not only brings my 3-year bandiversary but it marks 3 years as a non-smoker. May you have the same fortune!

Thanks for all the replies. I quit today, I am ready mentally for a change. I have stocked up on Vapor "Cigs" and got me some gum so hopefully I will be able to stay smoke free. Thanks again!

Kin d of off topic, but hubby and I sarted smoking eCigs in January and LOVE them. Hubby7's smoked for 17 years and has not had a traditional cig since we got them - I actually get a better hit off my ecig than I did with a regular cig. You guys should give it a go! Our favorites are the Joye eGo-T rolleyes.gif

I am a smoker. Since making the decision to get banded I have tried to quit cold turkey. That didn't work so I started back up but cut back, instead of a pack a day I smoke 1/2 pack per day. This has been since about 3 weeks ago. Today I am ready to quit once and for all! I have a plan and I am sticking to it. The problem is my surgery is 3 weeks away! My surgeon recommends 6 weeks of being smoke free. Should I reschedule my surgery? Is 3 weeks long enough?

Please help!

Thanks!

i didnt quit either and eneded up in intensive care for 2 days because of breasthing problems,so really try to quit

I didn't quit- no complications at all. I think I even had a cig on the way too the hospital