Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good, Bad and the Ugly

Hello All! I'm new to this thread and so excited that I have found this community. I need some advise. I have been considering the lap band since October of last year. I actually went through he entire process only to chicken out the day before surgery. I'm 32 years old and have been struggling with PCOS for years and my weight has been in the up mode, to lose one pound takes so much work. So once again the lap band has come to mind and I going back to the office to start the process all over again. I interested in some feedback from anyone out there that may have PCOS and how the lapband prceducre has been GOOD, BAD and UGLY for them. Even if you don't have PCOS, any information you can provide me with would me a great help. I have done a lot of research on my own, no doctor has recommeded it for me, but I think it may be the best for me. I want to have kids one day and I know that this diease is holdinng up the process.

Thank you all in advance for sharing your experices and suggestions that you may have for me as I begen to take this journey to a healther me. :)

I have PCOS too. I have been taking 1000 mil of Glucophage a day for about 9 years. Not a diabetic, It really helps regulate my period. I use to have one 14-16 week period every 4-5 years. In December my regular Dr said since I had lost so much weight (all together 167lbs., 88 since LB surgery in April 2010) he thought I should stop taking the glucophage. I did and a week later Bam! Here comes Aunt Flow for about 4 days....went away for about a week and back for another week, then gone...then back for a few days. This went on for three months....I made an appt with my regular dr. and told him...I get this stuff at Wal-Mart, a 90 day supply for $10 if there are no major side affects I want it!!!....He put me back on it about a month ago and I have had no problems since.

Other than my disposition......(I am much happier now and have a lot more energy). Since I was a fat teenager, I feel the way I think a teenager probably feels...(no wonder my 14 year old always seems to be up to no good) ..I was tired when I was a teen at close to 300 lbs. I don't really think anything has changed with my PCOS....I am not one of those that cramps a lot....I do think my flow is heavier....that could be because I'm getting old....ha ha!!! I do have the facial hair on my chin that I have to get rid of still..EVERYDAY...I hate that...no change there....still about the same amount.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey.

Stagegirl

I have PCOS as well, and was banded on March 8, 2011. This will ultimately help me, as the more weight you lose, the less symptoms you get from PCOS.

I'm still taking my metformin (glucophage) and am crushing it using two spoons, and then adding yoghurt or something smooth to get it down.

I really believe that the weight I lose will ultimately make my PCOS symptoms disappear, so I'm glad I've taken this route.

I have PCOS, and overall feel great since I've lost the weight. I am no longer on Metformin, and my testosterone levels are now normal. Oddly, prior to surgery and weight loss, I had very high cortisol levels, high enough that I was tested extensively for Cushing's at a research hospital. They eventually attributed it to PCOS, and my cortisol levels are now normal. I still have a bit of facial hair that I have to take care of now and then :blink: , and my periods are actually heavier and more painful than they used to be, though starting birth control pills has helped a bit and keeps me regular.

I have PCOS and used to be on metformin to help control periods (about 4yrs ago). I just had my iud taken out and am hopeful I will regulate and ovulate on my own. We're hoping to get pregnant this summer.

I've lost 117lbs in a year.

I have PCOS as well, and was banded on March 8, 2011. This will ultimately help me, as the more weight you lose, the less symptoms you get from PCOS.

I'm still taking my metformin (glucophage) and am crushing it using two spoons, and then adding yoghurt or something smooth to get it down.

I really believe that the weight I lose will ultimately make my PCOS symptoms disappear, so I'm glad I've taken this route.

Thank you so much for yout comment. Please keep me posted on your progress and congrats on your band. I wish you luck and please stay in contact. I go Tuesday to see if I'm still a canadiate for the surgery.

I have PCOS too. I have been taking 1000 mil of Glucophage a day for about 9 years. Not a diabetic, It really helps regulate my period. I use to have one 14-16 week period every 4-5 years. In December my regular Dr said since I had lost so much weight (all together 167lbs., 88 since LB surgery in April 2010) he thought I should stop taking the glucophage. I did and a week later Bam! Here comes Aunt Flow for about 4 days....went away for about a week and back for another week, then gone...then back for a few days. This went on for three months....I made an appt with my regular dr. and told him...I get this stuff at Wal-Mart, a 90 day supply for $10 if there are no major side affects I want it!!!....He put me back on it about a month ago and I have had no problems since.

Other than my disposition......(I am much happier now and have a lot more energy). Since I was a fat teenager, I feel the way I think a teenager probably feels...(no wonder my 14 year old always seems to be up to no good) ..I was tired when I was a teen at close to 300 lbs. I don't really think anything has changed with my PCOS....I am not one of those that cramps a lot....I do think my flow is heavier....that could be because I'm getting old....ha ha!!! I do have the facial hair on my chin that I have to get rid of still..EVERYDAY...I hate that...no change there....still about the same amount.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey.

Stagegirl

Thank you so much for your response. I go to the doctor on Tuesday and I look forward to being a new bander.