Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your goal weight?

I am 5'7 currently I weigh 193. Suggested weight is between 123 to 149.

Have you set yourself at the low end, high in or the middle?

I have met my first goal, but have yet to set an exact number. i'm thinking middle so I give my self some wiggle room.

So anyway do you have an exact number in mind and what made you choose it?

To be honest, while my ticker has a goal weight, I really don't have one. I look at my WOE as a lifetime change...not a diet. So I eat this way because it's healthier and keeps me from taking insulin anymore. Losing weight is just a bonus and I'll take whatever I get.

I've actually been far more consistent in making good choices since moving my focus from weight loss to health and diabetes control.

120lbs. Sigh. :(

Good for you elfi! Thats awesome.

I want to be healthy, but I also want to look my best.

I am looking forward to being a size 8, size 12 right now woohoo.

14 not 12 lol

When I met with my psych pre-surgery, she asked what my goal weight was and I said 150. She said I was setting the bar too low but to me at the time the idea of being 150 thrilled me and I couldn't even imagine reaching that goal. I reached that 150 within 7-8 months and realized I could do better. At 150 I was 1.7 BMI points above normal weight. My second goal was 137, a strange number I know, but that put me exactly in the middle of a normal BMI, figured that gave me wiggle room to stay within normal. Once I reached that I was very happy with myself went into maintenance.

In maintenance I am somewhat mindful of what I eat (for health reasons not weightloss) but if I want cake or candy a beer or some fast food I go for it. I keep up with my exercise and get a rare fill if I need one but that is about all I focus on. But with my last fill I was still able to settle in at 126. I teeter from 125-130 depending on what I ate and my cycle and I am quite comfortable here. I wouldn't want to be tighter or eat less than I am now, I am able to enjoy my food and maintain a decent weight and that is good enough for me... I would like to hit the 120 mark though if only for a brief while just to say I did. :rolleyes:

In the beginning it is hard to decide what your goal weight is but once you reach the right weight for you, you'll know it.

I had my surgery in October and lost quite a bit since... I am thrilled.

So I set my goal at 145. When I went for my fill last week , my doc said that was unrealistic and my goal in relation to my 5,6ft should be between 180 to 170.

And after being 267.... 180 is sounding pretty good!

What you should keep in mind is your BMI... and a BMI of 30 or lower is the ideal.

So I set my goal at 145. When I went for my fill last week , my doc said that was unrealistic and my goal in relation to my 5,6ft should be between 180 to 170.

What you should keep in mind is your BMI... and a BMI of 30 or lower is the ideal.

I agree that BMI is a good guideline. Getting below 30 does mean you are no longer obese but a BMI of 25-30 is still considered overweight. I would say that getting the BMI below 30 is very good but getting it below 25 would put you in normal weight which to me is ideal.

My "normal" BMI range is 101 pounds to 136 pounds. I chose, for the ticker, the goal weight of 135 initially, but I moved it up to 145. As I get closer to the goal, maybe I'll be motivated to become the true petite-self my skeleton wants me to be, but for now I can't imagine pushing myself harder than the work entailed in maintaining "festively plump." lol I feel like it will always be in my nature to be somewhat chubby and maintenance of anything less than 145 or maybe 140 would be an exhausting struggle (not everyone would still be chubby at this weight, but I'm 5'2). Definitely not getting there with this attitude! ;) It would be strangely nice to be 115 though. I wouldn't want to be ideally any lower than 110, even if 101 pounds is still healthy for my frame.

I have had 3 weight-related goals since surgery.

First, I said that getting under 200 would mean I was significantly healthier and at lower risk for weight-related health conditions than I was at 293, so if my loss stopped there I wouldn't be thrilled but I'd be satisfied (not to mention, that would put me at over 60% of excess weight lost, which is the stated goal of my surgeon).

Second, I said that I'd like to weigh less than my husband, for vanity's sake. That means weighing 170-175.

Third, I set the goal of 150 which would put me (barely) in the "healthy" BMI range for my height.

When I started this, I have to admit that 150 seemed like a pipe dream-- an aspirational goal that would be psychologically unhealthy for me to get really attached to because I wasn't ever going to really be able to get there.

Today is my six month bandiversary and I have already achieved goal 1: I weighed in at 194 this morning, which puts me 99 lbs down from my high and in so much better physical condition than I used to be, even though I am still obese. I am also clearly not done losing. I'm now thinking that 150 might be doable after all, though we'll have to see.

My next goal is on my ticker-- it is being in the overweight BMI category instead of obese and it roughly coincides with my "less than my husband" goal.

Sometimes this journey has been unbelievable-- case in point-- I am now in a size 12 in pants. I can't imagine wearing lower than a size 12, yet it will be inevitable if I really do reach my goals. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that. Even when I was an athlete in college I was wearing a size 12.

My "normal" BMI range is 101 pounds to 136 pounds. I chose, for the ticker, the goal weight of 135 initially, but I moved it up to 145. As I get closer to the goal, maybe I'll be motivated to become the true petite-self my skeleton wants me to be, but for now I can't imagine pushing myself harder than the work entailed in maintaining "festively plump." lol I feel like it will always be in my nature to be somewhat chubby and maintenance of anything less than 145 or maybe 140 would be an exhausting struggle (not everyone would still be chubby at this weight, but I'm 5'2). Definitely not getting there with this attitude! ;) It would be strangely nice to be 115 though. I wouldn't want to be ideally any lower than 110, even if 101 pounds is still healthy for my frame.

I agree. At 5'4 my normal BMI weight would be 108-145. At 125-130 I look fine, feel fine and can enjoy eating good food and living a normal life without having to spend my life obsessing and struggling over exercise and food to maintain. THAT should be every person's goal. While 120 would be sooo cool, I don't want to have to be at a constant struggle to get there and stay there.

I'm 5'7 as well my goal weight is 170 lbs. My Ideal weight is 150 lbs. I'd be happy at 190 lbs

You all give great advice!

I am 1 count it 1 pound away from being just overweight instead of Obeese (spelling) .

That would put me at 192. I think I am going to set a goal of 150 and then go from there.

Our stories are very similar. I started out at 260 at 5,6 ft and my goal is 180. I would LOVE to be 180. I have a feeling once I get there I'll want to go lower but that is my goal for now. As long as I'm only "overweight" not "morbidly obese"!!! :)

My goal weight is 175... I know it needs to be about 155 to be healthy. But honestly, I have to see myself at 175! I don't remember the last time I was 175! It's always been my "goal weight" for years. So I want to hit that first. I will likely go a little lower, but I'm really tall i'm 5'7", so I don't feel the need to be really really skinny. I'm more focused on the clothes I wear too. i wanna wear normal clothes at normal stores COMFORTABLY not the largest size they sell, so I can buy anything I want :D