Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pause in weight loss

Well I was hoping that the post op weight loss would continue. However, now that I have progressed from gruel to thicker gruel it's stayed the same with no more daily steady drop. Grrr.

Tracking the calories and it's about 1,000 per day give or take 50 and I have returned to the gym. I can't say that I have any great hunger yet and eating is not something I enjoy like before the surgery, I do it just because I need to. Really looking forward to my first fill in three weeks and a return to normal foods where I can CHEW something. ;) It's strange though according to all the charts in order to maintain the weight I am I would have to consume between 2300-2700 calories a day (depending on whose chart you use and what factors are punched in) so at about 1,000 Cals I should be loseing 2+ pounds a week. Maybe it's just on hold due to the fact that immediatly post op I had a real problem getting even 500 calories in on Clear Liquids. Probably balancing out and weight should begin to drop again soon, I Really Hope So for the sake of my morale. :) Has anyone else experienced this lull?

I know it's discouraging, but it sounds perfectly normal to me, from what I read about others' experiences. Really, the weight won't be coming off regularly or satisfactorily until you hit your "sweet spot", which could well be your 3rd or 4th fill. This is such a gradual process, and in our daily lives "gradual" is hard to swallow--pardon the pun. I think your body also is completely BALKING at any attempt to lose weight right now. It did it initially because it was programmed to--you were still feeling the effects of narcotics--but now that those have worn off (or at least, to a degree), your body is thinkin', "Hey! Remember me? What is going on here??" and it will fight you. The good news is, it's just INITIALLY. Once you get past that point, your body realizes, hey, this is how it's gonna be, I need to get rid of some of these fat cells so I can keep going at the regular pace. That is when you will really see it.

Don't get too discouraged, though. You've done AMAZING so far, both pre- and post-op. You're only going to continue your success. Sometimes that just means "in chunks". :P

I know it's discouraging, but it sounds perfectly normal to me, from what I read about others' experiences. Really, the weight won't be coming off regularly or satisfactorily until you hit your "sweet spot", which could well be your 3rd or 4th fill. This is such a gradual process, and in our daily lives "gradual" is hard to swallow--pardon the pun. I think your body also is completely BALKING at any attempt to lose weight right now. It did it initially because it was programmed to--you were still feeling the effects of narcotics--but now that those have worn off (or at least, to a degree), your body is thinkin', "Hey! Remember me? What is going on here??" and it will fight you. The good news is, it's just INITIALLY. Once you get past that point, your body realizes, hey, this is how it's gonna be, I need to get rid of some of these fat cells so I can keep going at the regular pace. That is when you will really see it.

Don't get too discouraged, though. You've done AMAZING so far, both pre- and post-op. You're only going to continue your success. Sometimes that just means "in chunks". :P

Thanks for the encouragement I really appreciate it and you are probably right about the body wanting to hang on to what its got in reserve. I'm sure I am like most folks though just impatient and wanting to be thin as soon as possible.

Tom

I haven't had the lull yet but I know I will be mad when I do! You are doing GREAT and will continue to do so. I just figure that it is going to take as awhile and there will be great weeks and some notsogreat weeks in terms of weight loss. Eating as little as you are, you are going to lose! It is impossible not to.

Maybe you shld take measurements for those times when you don't see the scale move but you will still see the inches decrease! You are working out and you will end up doing this faster than you think!

I haven't worked out yet but you have just motivated me to go downstairs and walk for a little while on the treadmill.

Thanks for inspiring me!

Thanks for the encouragement I really appreciate it and you are probably right about the body wanting to hang on to what its got in reserve. I'm sure I am like most folks though just impatient and wanting to be thin as soon as possible.

I just saw this thread and I wanted you to know that I had my surgery on Feb 5th, and I lost 21lbs in the first 2 weeks post op. My 3rd week post op I havent lost anything. :( I know it will come off and I just need to be patient, but it's hard isn't it! Good luck and try not to get too discouraged!!

Well, a whole week passed and not one pound fell off me to the floor... Hurumph! But seriously thanks for the good words, encouragement and the sharing about your experiences. Its easier when you know that what you are going through is normal and can be expected. Still I liked the precipitous drop after surgery but didn't like only having broth and other clear liquids. So I will be happy with any moderate weight loss once my system balances and figures out whether or not its starving :) . I don't feel any great hunger yet and its 2 weeks till my first fill. So if I can lose 1-2 pounds a week wo/ feeling hungry till the fill, I will feel very fortunate :D . Thanks again guys for the support.

I've been struggling since I started mushies... Everything I lost was 2 wk preop and 1 week postop... Keeping my head up and ready for my first fill on march 11. Went on a nice walk with my 12 yr old last night (weather finally cooperated)....it was about 20 min and then my back decided it was time too stop. I can't wait to lose enough so I can walk without the back pain and go for longer periods and be able to walk and carry on a conversation.. Ughh.. It will happen but it's hard to wait!

It seems to be happening to us all! I lost 20 lbs in 17 days and now in the last week I think I am down only a half of a pound. I don't think the Constipation is helping me either. Sorry if TMI.

I go to the doc today and we'll see what their scale says. I know they will be saying that I did so well but that was LAST week. Then...standstill. I knew I wouldn't lose rapidly the whole time but I didn't really expect to stop dead when we are only eating 1K or less calories!

I walked on the treadmill only once so far but I will be starting that daily soon. I want this weight to start moving again. Also, I am going on a cruise at the end of the month and I was hoping to drop another 15 before we went. Now, that is doubtful!

Waaaaaah!

Well the scale is moving again although very slowly. 2 pounds in 10 days is not that impressive but it is in the right direction. I've gone back to the gym and doing the stationary bike for 1/2 hour and 15-20 mins of weight training. Next week I'll add 1/2 an hour of fast walking on the track and boost the weight training levels too. Maybe that'll kick loose the logjam of fat going down stream. :)

I probably sound like a broken record - but you aren't supposed to be losing a lot of weight during your first 6 weeks post op ---- my doctor stressed that is the time to HEAL...be sure to get in enough calories and Protein so your body can heal, and let it go thru the transistion as it adapts to band life as well. DOn't worry about weight! It will be weeks before you have had your fills and hit your "sweet spot" - meanwhile you will be in bandster hell....hungry between meals and not losing weight and wondering what the heck you signed up for! We have all been there - be encouraged that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim

Well I was hoping that the post op weight loss would continue. However, now that I have progressed from gruel to thicker gruel it's stayed the same with no more daily steady drop. Grrr.

Tracking the calories and it's about 1,000 per day give or take 50 and I have returned to the gym. I can't say that I have any great hunger yet and eating is not something I enjoy like before the surgery, I do it just because I need to. Really looking forward to my first fill in three weeks and a return to normal foods where I can CHEW something. ;) It's strange though according to all the charts in order to maintain the weight I am I would have to consume between 2300-2700 calories a day (depending on whose chart you use and what factors are punched in) so at about 1,000 Cals I should be loseing 2+ pounds a week. Maybe it's just on hold due to the fact that immediatly post op I had a real problem getting even 500 calories in on Clear liquids. Probably balancing out and weight should begin to drop again soon, I Really Hope So for the sake of my morale. :) Has anyone else experienced this lull?

[/quot

Hi I am new here and was wondering if I am doin something wrong because I am eating soft foods now ! I was told to eat soft foods the second week . I was banded on feb 25th and i am eating pudding and middle of baked potatoes and hard boiled eggs.... i have no problems with my band but it is empty doc says he would fill till 9 weeks. I am keeping a food journal however. I am wondering why so many people are still on liquids on second week??? I hope I am not messing up my band or something .l feel fine but i am scared now.

I probably sound like a broken record - but you aren't supposed to be losing a lot of weight during your first 6 weeks post op ---- my doctor stressed that is the time to HEAL...be sure to get in enough calories and Protein so your body can heal, and let it go thru the transistion as it adapts to band life as well. DOn't worry about weight! It will be weeks before you have had your fills and hit your "sweet spot" - meanwhile you will be in bandster hell....hungry between meals and not losing weight and wondering what the heck you signed up for! We have all been there - be encouraged that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim

yeah my doctor told me first month dont worry about calories ..... and just heal ... i was just banded 7 days ago :)

Hi I am new here and was wondering if I am doin something wrong because I am eating soft foods now ! I was told to eat soft foods the second week . I was banded on feb 25th and i am eating pudding and middle of baked potatoes and hard boiled eggs.... i have no problems with my band but it is empty doc says he would fill till 9 weeks. I am keeping a food journal however. I am wondering why so many people are still on liquids on second week??? I hope I am not messing up my band or something .l feel fine but i am scared now.

No, all the doctors seem to do things differently, I am sure that you are being advised properly based on your doctors evaluation of your case.

My doctor advised me to eat clear liquids first week, full (runny but with substance) liquids the second week, mushies the third week, soft food the forth and then regular foods well chewed (Just starting them this week Yea!! :) ) My first fill is next tuesday but I still don't have any great hungar and the diary i'm keeping shows 900-1100 calories a day. Wesght is starting to come off with my return to the gym, doctor approves but no abdominal exercises like crunches till he clears it for me. Hate crunches anyway, no big loss :P. I'll let you guys know how the fill goes next week.

I thought it was just me! I have been exercising and am still in the mushies phase. I seem to have experienced a lack in weight loss this week. Also, I am also pretty constipated (TMI). Glad to read I am not alone.