Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1/2 marathon & food??

I am running a half marathon in january. I know you need to eat a lot of complex carbohydrates for energy, particularly the night before the race. However i can't eat Pasta, ice, bread, ect. So im open to suggestions from anyone who has ran long distance with a active Lap-Band.

Well, I did a half marathon, but I have my band fairly loose so and I can eat small amounts of bread, Pasta and rice. In the ordinary course of events, I dont really eat bread on a daily basis, I just dont have the room and prefer to eat other things. But during the couple of weeks lead up I made sure I had a salad sandwich most days for lunch and ate plenty of fresh fruit and veg.

I've always eaten a higher carb/less Protein focussed diet but I only eat good carbs for the most part, I wouldnt have eaten a slice of white bread for several years now, and I eat more vegies and fruit than I do grain foods. I also never needed to drop below 1500 calories a day to lose becuase I've always run regularly, not huge distances. The half was my first and last, it just took too long for my 42 year old body to recover, lol, and I know if I pushed to do that sort of thing regularly, I'd probably end up not running at all due to injury and arthritic old bones.

Check out #10 in this article about endurance athlete mistakes.

Bottom line is to keep doing what you're doing, have a small Breakfast, and start figuring out your race day nutrition plan. For a half-marathon, I'll have a small bowl of go lean Cereal with soy milk for Breakfast, about 2-3 hours before race start. One packet of hammer gel about 30 mins before start, another 45 mins in, and another at 90 mins (figuring a 2-2.5 hour running time). If you're going slower, one hammer gel an hour would give you plenty to run on. But you need to train with it and make sure you can tolerate it during exercise.

i just completed my first half marathon this past April. I was very tightly restricted at the time.

during training including up to the night before I focused on lots of Protein soy, fish, nuts & lean protein shakes as well as healthier forms of carbs such as apples& bananas. I was able to drink as much Water as I needed during the actual race. A few hours after the marathon I was actually very hungry which is very odd for me and was able to eat a tuna melt, and i really never can keep down white carbs. Protein is also a great source of energy.

Protein is also a great source of energy.

I disagree, actually (and respectfully)-- Protein is NOT a great source of energy. Our bodies don't particularly like to burn protein for energy and only do it if nothing else is available. It also can't be burned quickly enough during an athletic event to be of much use. Our muscles can store carbohydrates that are then readily available to them during exercise.

Runners need carbs- maybe not a giant "carb-loading fest" that we might like to think we deserve the night before a big race, but carbs nonetheless. (I am guilty of this.) Eat normally the night before. Have a carb Breakfast in the morning that works for you. Maybe you can eat whole grain bread if it is toasted? Bananas are typically easy to get down, or maybe oatmeal. As Kamala said, you need to TRY IT OUT before you race on your long run and see how it feels. Try out different gel products. If you use gel, take it with Water.

I don't use any gels during a half- but I do take Gatorade at all the Water stops (or if it's tasting bad to me at that time, I take it at every-other.) But it also depends on how hot it is, and how quickly you're going to be done. If you're a two hour half-marathoner, you'll need less than if you're planning to take 3 hours (your muscles can store about 2 hours worth of carbs before becoming depleted). Then of course good nutrition afterwards. (and a cookie because you deserve it after a half!) :)

thanks for all the replies. I believe im going to try the oatmeal and banana route. My Dr. suggested those as well :) I will give the gel a chance. im figuring im about 3hour runner for the half. so ill need to try it. The race is in January, phx, AZ So it will be nice out. im very intimadated but i tihnk i can do it. im still 195 pounds but i was 290. so to even imagine wanting to do this a year ago was a joke!!!! But i watched my boss train for the san deigo rock and roll one and she suggested i try it, i figured that will help me get the last 50 or so pounds off. :)

You Rock!!!! Half Marathons are fun! My next one I plan on doing thin! I've done them a lot heavier and still finished!

I've been having the same problem but with my cycling! I'm out of energy before I get to the half-way point! Protein alone is not cutting it.

My nutritionist suggested adding Beans and a fruit the night before an event/long run/long bike ride. She said to go conservative and stay under 50 carbs for the whole day. My doc has us at 25 carbs for the day. Beans have all three; carbs, Proteins and fiber! Then the morning of to have a fruit and Protein and then a gu/gel during. Of course, for the marathon you will need more than one gu and probably a salt pack. If you're not sweating on a long run and see swelling in your hands, you need salt with your Water. I usually just bring salt packets that you get a a fast food place to put in my pouch while running.

Good luck!!!!!!!!! Happy Training!:)