Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need lap band. I've had low thyroid for years and PCOD and I will not lose weight on my own. Im now having mobility problems, hip problems, back problems, neck problems, high cholesterol (common in low thyroid) and high blood pressure, and everyone says "just exercise". They don't get it.

My ins co has a "no fat slobs" clause, so there's no help there getting surgery. I called St. Francis bariatric and when they heard the word "clause", a wall went up and it was "Sorry, have nice day". (No such thing any more).

I know that I will die soon. I would self-pay if I could. The payments are too high (already have mortgage and 2 car payments as it is, and three children).

Have any of you overcome this? Have any of you succeeded in getting the band you need when it all seems that the world is against you? HOW? If I didn't have children, I'd probably just end it all now. I'm so sick of it all.

Please don't talk like this. Do you have a family member or a church friend you can talk to? I wish there was something I could do to help you.:(

I hear in your words that you are on your last thread, don't you give up.

Have you researched your insurance appeal process? I had a friend who had to go before the insurance board to get them to even consider the surgery for her. She finally did get it and has since lost over 100 pounds.

Don't give up, the real you is hiding in there and your kids need you :(

Considering all your health issues the insurance company would save money in the long run if they let you have this surgery.

Don't give up! There are companies such as carecredit that will allow you to finance the surgery. Is financing an option?

Brittany, I tried to have lapband a few yrs ago & my insurance co wouldn't pay only for gastric bypass, which I didn't want. Don't give up. I hate to recommend Mexico but I had a friend that was so desperate & her ins co wouldn't pay & she went to Mexico where she had it done very cheap....she has since lost over 80 lbs since last summer. I would try going to a Bariatric Dr anyway & see if they have a way around it, they know the ins & outs of insurance co's.....also try an appeal thru your ins co cuz many times, the second time around will work. Whatever it is, don't give up because there IS a way out of this!!

Also I found this info online....

It is beneficial to contact your health insurer as early as possible if you are interested in weight loss surgery. Many insurance companies will cover the expense, but the approval process can be long and complicated. If you contact your insurance provider and are told that weight loss surgery is not covered, don't get discouraged and don't give up. Many times the initial answer is based on incomplete and mistaken information. There is still a chance that by working diligently together with your primary care doctor, bariatric surgeon, and other legal and medical experts, you may succeed in getting approval thru the appeals process.

Obesity Legal Assistance

It may be appropriate to seek support and legal assistance if you really ought to be granted approval for weight loss surgery but your insurance company refuses to cover it. If you are struggling with your insurance company, you may find the Obesity Law and Advocacy Center a source of useful assistance. You may also want to consider joining the Obesity Action Coalition, a national advocacy group for the rights and needs of obese people.

Keep us informed what's going on w/you......don't give up & blessings to you!

D.A.

See if you have anything else wrong with you. I have a hernia that will be done at the same time so I'm paying half of what it would be.

Try that.

Thank you all for the responses. I cannot "appeal" because my insurance policy has an exclusion. That means that the policy my husband's work bought says up front that it does not cover any bariatrics surgery or treatment whatsoever. The HR of the company won't change it, because it's just a small business with mostly male employees who don't need such a procedure.

financing is not an option since we have a mortgage and 2 car payments already that we struggle to pay (and those were used vehicles).

I would go to Mexico in a heartbeat, but I don't think they finance that kind of thing. Don't you have to have the money up front for that? I don't exactly have $5,000 in my sock drawer.

The ins co would surely save money by letting me have this. I'm going to need a double hip replacement because of the strain on my hips. That will run them 3-4 times what the cost of Lap Band would cost. Not to mention all of the other medications I need, plus the increased risk of stroke. Caring for stroke victims' hospitializations isn't cheap, either.

Insurance is stupid. They take take take, but they never help you when you need it. I know for a fact that I will not be here 5 years from now if I cannot find a way.

I also want to add, for those who think I sit around and eat bon bons all day, that with my current thyroid status and medication, I gain when eating normally. If I diet (which I'm not good at to begin with) I stay the same. In order to lose, I need to eat between 600-800 calories a day and no more. And that's a slow loss.

This is unrealistic to do in real life, especially long-term, without something like a Lap Band to help me feel "full" on very little food.< /p>

I also want to add, for those who think I sit around and eat bon bons all day, that with my current thyroid status and medication, I gain when eating normally. If I diet (which I'm not good at to begin with) I stay the same. In order to lose, I need to eat between 600-800 calories a day and no more. And that's a slow loss.

This is unrealistic to do in real life, especially long-term, without something like a LAP-BAND® to help me feel "full" on very little food.

I don't think anyone on this site thinks you sit around eating bon bons all day. Almost 100% of the people here have been or still are morbidly obese. We hear your frustration and have empathy for your situation. Please take the suggestions you get here as a helping hand. Maybe someone will come up with an idea that will help you.

I was self-pay and the payments are about $100 a month. ($9,950)

Maybe you could find a way to make some extra money to at least pay off one of the cars.

Edited by Humming Bird

Don't give up! I had to go out of country for my surgery, but I finally got it after 3 years of wanting it. I was lucky to have my ex's RV that I sold to get the money to self pay. It was 1/2 the price of surgery in the US. I had no insurance and horrible credit from my divorce so financing wasn't even an option for me.

Brittany- For starters you should get your thyroid medication adjusted if it is not working as it should. This will help with weight loss. I understand the helpless feeling of being overweight... but I also understand that the band is just a tool and to truly be successful we need to change ourselves and our outlooks and attitudes. Although an annoyance, most of us have had to go through a psych screen to get our bands. With the negative thinking you are exhibiting you may have trouble with that... forgive me for sounding cruel. Why not start the process--- Your insurance should cover a nutritionist and some sort of supervised weight loss. My old insurance didn't cover surgeries but it did cover all the other stuff. When I went for my first appointment with my surgeon I was able to hand him my six months, nutrition consult and psych consult (all done on old insurance) which made the process much quicker... You have no idea what life has around the corner so take whatever steps you can toward your goals.

Your insurance contract is what it is.

If you want changes, approach your employer--they can make changes to the policy at policy-renewal time.

In the meantime, do what YOU need to do to lose weight.

The band doesn't do it for you. Research how you need to eat with the band--then do it, even without the band.

Exercise.

The band is a tool. It makes it easier. But it doesn't do the work. It doesn't produce life-savingly fast results.

I know you feel hopeless and helpless, and I'm terribly sorry for that.

But you DO have control. You CAN make progress.

Your screen name makes me sad :eek: I'm sorry you're feeling so bad.

Edited by BetsyB

I would go to Mexico in a heartbeat, but I don't think they finance that kind of thing. Don't you have to have the money up front for that? I don't exactly have $5,000 in my sock drawer.

Yes, you could go to mexico and financing is an option. Like I said before, it wasn't an option for me due to horrible credit, but it can definitely be an option for you. I don't want to advertise for anyone but the option I am talking about is plastered all over this site. I have been there, got my surgery there and the experience was awesome! :eek:

You were saying you have your Husband's insurance! Does your place of employment offer insurance? If so check them out and maybe they offer what you need and then when it is your annual enrollment - change to yours and you could have the surgery in Jan when the new policy starts!!! Just a thought!!! And FYI - we are all in the same boat of being overweight - we are not here to judge people - we know what that is like - so we would never think you are just sitting around eatting Bon- Bons......Good Luck :thumbup:)