Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Students?

Hi :) I'm a third year undergraduate student. I only told a few close friends at uni...but sitting at lunch with a larger group trying to shrug of mushies was interesting lol "Oh it's a curry sauce....oh yes I always eat it like this...so yummy.....rice? Oh no - don't like rice" I had my toes crossed, so I wasn't really lying lol

Onto solids this week....sooooo much easier!

Of course my op was smack bam in the middle of the semester...still trying to catch up!

For all intents and purposes, I'm a 3rd year undergrad as well. :) I have a year and a half before I finally finish and get my BBA (it's a baby MBA). I had my band installed during Spring Break last year, so I didn't miss any classes from that.

I will graduate this coming May with a BSBA in Accounting. I had my surgery in the summer and didn't take any summer classes so it wasn't a problem. I am full-time this semester and I am finding it hard to find time to eat (a meal anyway). It's too easy to grab that bag of chips going from one class to the next. If I wait until I get home, then I'm starving (haha) and tend to eat too fast and--you guessed it--PB!!!!:cry

Tricia H

I'm in my 3rd and last year of law school - whoo hoo! I only have class 3 days a week so I missed about 5 days of school getting banded. I told everyone at school and my professors because I don't care what anyone thinks and I would rather people know the truth then spread rumors (which happens alot in a small law school). I just bring my lunch - they have a fridge we can store our stuff. Anyways, I am so ready to be done with this school stuff and get out in the real world,,,, of course, I have to take that pesky bar exam in July...grrrrrrrr.................

I am going for my nursing/raidology degree (yes im going for two since there is a big demand for both and a long wait.. im seeing who will take me first) The only thing I have trouble with is if I need to see my Band Dr. or need a fill I have to try to schedule when I know im not going to miss class. Im only taking 2 classes but they are spread out thourgh the week Mon-Thurs. so its hard to plan anything. Im not losing any weight, can i blame on the stresses of Anatomy? LOL

I am full-time this semester and I am finding it hard to find time to eat (a meal anyway). It's too easy to grab that bag of chips going from one class to the next. If I wait until I get home, then I'm starving (haha) and tend to eat too fast and--you guessed it--PB!!!!:cry

I know excatly what you are talking about! It seems as if my life and my time are not my own. I have to be very careful about that famished feeling, and yes, it leads to a PB or a major sliming episode every time. Plus, I just get downright cranky.

I try to always have nuts and dried fruit with me. A serving of nuts has about 170 calories, depending on the nut, and is full of the heart healthy oils we need. The dried fruit adds much needed Fiber, and well, fruit things. So the fruit helps boost the blood sugar, while the protien and oil in the nuts helps to stave off hunger and prevents the sugar crash. (it's part of the low glycimic index eating) I also always have something crispy with me, usually 6 triscuts. (yeah, I know, 6 measily crackers???!! :) ) They have added Fiber, and they are crispy. I find they are very filling, and better for me than a bag of chips. I have to be very careful while I eat them, have to practice "mindful eating" otherwise I'll spend a chunk of time barfing in the bathroom.

When I get hungry in class I'll just haul out my little baggy of fruit and nuts and nibble away. I used to worry about people looking at me. Well, okay, I stressed about it for a week then said to hell with it. I need to eat so I don't get into trouble later. And besides, what makes me think I'm so interesting that everyone is going to pay attention to me instead of the instructor? :)

Luna bars, or some other protien bars, are good to keep in my book bag too.

My biggest issue is finding time to work out. I make sure I take a PE class every semester to make sure I have scheduled time to work out. This semester has been rough because I'm taking 21 credits, but other semesters have been tough because I was just so damn ill. I'm better now... :)

I am going for my nursing/raidology degree (yes im going for two since there is a big demand for both and a long wait.. im seeing who will take me first) The only thing I have trouble with is if I need to see my Band Dr. or need a fill I have to try to schedule when I know im not going to miss class. Im only taking 2 classes but they are spread out thourgh the week Mon-Thurs. so its hard to plan anything. Im not losing any weight, can i blame on the stresses of Anatomy? LOL

Trish! Where the hell have you been?! We've missed you! Stupid anatomy class!

Well, as a person who will never take a biology class, I can't say for sure, but yeah, let's blame anatomy... :)

Trish! Where the hell have you been?! We've missed you! Stupid anatomy class!

Well, as a person who will never take a biology class, I can't say for sure, but yeah, let's blame anatomy... :)

Yeah A&P isnt very fun and for the most part it has been taking all of my time.. Ohhhh Microbology next term.. then A&PII ohhh your jealous huh LOL

Just 45min until I sign up for my next semester, They give you times to reg. depending on how many credits you have.. so im sitting here nervous hoping I will get the classes I want..

I'm not banded yet but a lifelong student. Finishing up my 2nd master's, getting ready to roll into my doctorate program. I am currently debating whether or not to take a semester off (will if I go through with the band, won't otherwise!) :)

I'm hoping to be banded in January. (Insurance dancing with 6 month diet) I'm a 3rd year law student. I'm hoping to plan my surgery around my class schedule (as much as possible). I'm not telling anybody at school about the surgery. However, I have warned them that "Stella is about to get her groove back" but they have no idea as to how Stella is getting her groove back.

I am a RN student and I am scheduled to be banded on friday Dec 9th. I have a final on monday so I hoping me professor will let me take it early. So if all goes well then I will have a little over a month off before I have to get back to my grueling schedule. Nursing school is a tough place for obese people because just about every disease we learn about is related to or caused by obesity in some way or another. Well hopefully that won't be a problem for me anymore.

Hello Everyone and Fellow Students!!

I am a graduate student in Psychology. I am currently working on my thesis, which I must say is a pain the butt. I hate reading nowadays and trying to get my brain onto actually writing it has been a chore. I will be getting banded in Mexico on Jan 27th. I personally believe that these last couple of years, where the weight has really packed on has been my worst years in school. I cannot concentrate, I'm depressed and I've lost my zeal for my thesis which was not the case a few years back. I really think weight and depression has taken over, so I have to say I am really looking forward to getting banded and begin my new life losing the weight.

I'm glad to see a section for students here, because I would like to ask this question: with all your education have you been discriminated by your weight when applying for potential jobs? I have had 5 interviews, all of which I am very qualified to do and yet, I have been turned down. Now, one job I did apply for and was told I had great qualifications, and that my interview was great but I was turned down...is now rehiring for that same position. Have any of you been in this same dilemma? I am not sure if I should reapply again, or just wait till I lose enough weight so they can get past that and see my qualifications as a potential employee. I think that is part of my depression, is now I am seeing full on how weight discrimination is going to keep me from the jobs I am qualified and have went to school for...it's frustrating that we live in a country were your *weight* is the only thing they see.

Sorry, for being such a downer...I'm just really down on this. Thanks for letting me vent! :)

Hmm - I don't think I've ever been discriminated against for a job. I decided to look for a different job in June and got offered the first job I applied for. Prior to that I'd been with the same company for 6 years but had applied for 5 promotions and received 4 of them.

I've been in a hiring position before and I don't see anything in your experiences that indicates discrimination. Being qualified doesn't mean you're the best candidate, and rehiring doesn't mean they automatically go back to the same candidate pool. Why are you sure it's weight-related?

BTW - nice to meet you. My origingal master's was in psychology. 2nd is in a branch of cognitive psychology - IPT/HPT.